Ouya games console (Kickstarter)

Reaction score
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

We get it – smartphones and tablets are getting all the new titles – they're "what's hot.” The console market is pushing developers away. We’ve seen a brain drain: some of the best, most creative gamemakers are focused on mobile and social games because those platforms are more developer-friendly. And the ones who remain focused on console games can’t be as creative as they’d like.

Let’s open this sucker up! It's time we brought back innovation, experimentation, and creativity to the big screen. Let’s make the games less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!

We're handing the reins over to the developer with only one condition: at least some gameplay has to be free. We borrowed the free-to-play model from games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Triple Town, and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe.
I like the idea, but I think everyday people are too stupid to embrace this. If you look at the list of games people want (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ouyatop20), they're all still clicking on the shitty commercial games like CoD, Battlefield and Assassin's Creed, etc. A lot of indie games are close/ahead, but still...

People are dumb, and they'll continue to be dumb. They'll complain about the graphics. They'll complain about the RAM/CPU. They'll continue to want the worst and most commercial games. They just don't get it.

I just feel like it's a big Android with controllers. That's what bothers me. Also, I would prefer cheap full games to free-to-play games with a ton of tiny DLC. And that console is a DLC heaven.

Whoa do you need a hand carrying around all that Good Taste?

It's a nice pie in the sky sort of idea but I think people should be a bit more skeptical about it. After all, haven't we been through something similar before?

Also, did people already forget that Steam is coming to TV? They even use the same lame tagline, heh.

9C6Ts.jpg

iSqyP.jpg

Ouya is a stupid name for a thing, and I refuse to support it, the same way I never supported the Wii for its stupid name.

Also, I think these people can see where its going...
8JCQv.jpg

I just feel like it's a big Android with controllers. That's what bothers me. Also, I would prefer cheap full games to free-to-play games with a ton of tiny DLC. And that console is a DLC heaven.

It definitively is a big android with controllers. It all but shares the specifications of the Asus Transformer Prime slapped in a box with native controller support.

Google play: the system? This seems p. stupid

I think people should be a bit more skeptical about it.
Great article. I dare anyone to still want to back this KS after reading that.

This is a good example of one of the flaws of KickStarter. You're 'investing' in something but treated like a dumb consumer who will throw money at anything that sounds good. You're not given any more details about the product and the plan of development and a myriad of other important things than you would buying some product that was already being sold by some big company that you already know is successful.

It's just another over hyped cloud gaming device with Android installed. We already have OnLive for that and it's ****ing terrible. Cloud gaming just isn't viable in today's market. Not until internet service providers start removing bandwidth caps and increasing download speeds.

It's basically an Expanding Your Business 101 lesson extrapolated onto real markets, i.e. stupid and untenable.

It's just another over hyped cloud gaming device with Android installed. We already have OnLive for that and it's ****ing terrible. Cloud gaming just isn't viable in today's market. Not until internet service providers start removing bandwidth caps and increasing download speeds.
It's not cloud gaming...

Maybe you can download an OnLive android app to get that.

At worst this is a $99 Nexus Q, but with an unlocked android that you can do anything you want with. It seems worth the price even if 0 games make it onto the platform.

But it will have some games at least, because they've already sold 500+ early dev kits for $699 and $1337.

But it will have some games at least, because they've already sold 500+ early dev kits for $699 and $1337.

They have a dev kit even though they have no finalized hardware OR network platforms?
?!??!!?

It apparently makes a great N64 emulator. Then again, so does my PC. Then again, I don't have a good USB gamepad.

PS3 controllers also work great with some 3rd party drivers and they use generic USB and BT connections instead of proprietary shit. Also if you want to emulate PS2 games the Xbox 360 controller lacks analogue face buttons that are required to play a few games (MGS2 and 3 at least) properly and only two of the four shoulder buttons are analogue on a 360 controller.

Also, the Ew-Yeah controller needs you to put AA batteries in it instead of being rechargeable. What year is this?

Back