PC Beta Sept. 29th, 27th with Origin pre-order

Battlelog in WebKit in bf3.exe. Problem solved. EA will never let it happen though.

It launches in about 20 seconds... effectively there is little difference from it being an in-game browser, except that it launches instead of loading a map. And it's more responsive and friendly than any of the craptastic ingame server browsers in any BF game to date :p

someone said you can store medkits and ammo on jeeps and they stay there cool feature imo.

I'm gonna have to give it a go on my friend's compy and see if I feel differently when it's actually running with a consistent framerate, but I really couldn't get into the gunplay. The guns feel so bouncy and weird to control, I can't really describe it properly but it was almost exactly the same in MoH and I couldn't stand it. Also I loathe getting sniped constantly on Metro, but that could be the level design. Seriously, **** bushes. Maybe if the MGs were a little easier to deploy...

Yeah, it feels very campy compared to BC2. I'm quite good at BC2, but in BF3 I just get killed over and over again by a guy I never see. You can't really hide in BC2 in the same way...the spotting system seems to have something to do with that? Seems a lot weaker in BF3. Or just people barely use it.

Main thing for me is though, why can't I choose what squad I want to be in! That's just bizarre.

I don't know why so many people don't like Operation Metro, I think it's an amazing map. I'm not so keen on the first area of the map, it's still fun but compared to the interior parts of the map its a pretty rubbish. As for the end of the map and the subway sections in between, those are so fantastic, even without vehicles - Battlefield is a great game.

I managed to play Caspian for a few rounds earlier on, I liked it and had fun, but I wasn't as good at that map as I am at Metro, so that kind of hindered on the fun for me, but still - 64 player vehicle action, **** yes.

Yeah, it feels very campy compared to BC2. I'm quite good at BC2, but in BF3 I just get killed over and over again by a guy I never see. You can't really hide in BC2 in the same way...the spotting system seems to have something to do with that? Seems a lot weaker in BF3. Or just people barely use it.

Main thing for me is though, why can't I choose what squad I want to be in! That's just bizarre.
Good. Spotting needs to go. The entire concept needs to go, IMO, but it's at least an improvement over BC2.

I also love that you can't spam 'Q' a billion times.

It's probably just the map, but I'm finding the game annoyingly campy at the moment.

Anyone know what happened to the command rose? I thought it was confirmed to be in? Or did they say that it's just not included in the beta?

Well after only being able to play one game then having Battlelog be stuck on Joining Server I reinstalled the game. Now I get a "Generic Error" when I try to play.

Also apparently, the Caspian Border servers have been closed and won't be put up again during the Beta. I mad... I SO mad.

Really? Not at all? I can't imagine they're going to launch the full game without any open feedback on jets etc.

am i missing something in the logic of not being able to keep a map open just because they now know what to fix for the final release? why not just keep the ''mildly buggy'' version out in the open whilst they work on the ''much better'' version in the studio? surely operation metro is the same - they have an appropriate amount of feedback for it, but yet they aren't closing that down. what gives?

I wouldnt be surprised if they bring it back.

But yeah, Metro is growing on me. Team Killing isnt but hey, I like hardcore mode now and again.

Caspian is orgasmic though in comparison.

I also like the music that begins to play as the ticker gets lower. From the trailers, the beating drum one. Happens when you level up too.

And some of the music sounds like Battlefield 1942.

I seem to have been ecountering much less glitches lately. Less falling through the map, less models doing funky things (like standing in an A shape in an editor, body twisting around etc) etc. I know DICE have a ''patch'' coming that turns off destructible env. but has that been implemented yet???

I think disabling terrain destruction is the collisions patch :p

The servers seem a lot more stable now... but I experienced my first hard-lock crash today.

360 servers were a mess earlier, hopefully fixed now or at least for tomorrow.

currently rocking the SAW for support, ****ing love this gun. i always use it it whatever game i play even though it's not necessarily the best machine gun... i just like it. having some trouble with the bipod though - sometimes it deploys, more often than not it doesn't, even less so on ledges/boxes/windowsills, etc.

I am simply not digging the Metro map. I want tanks and jets in my Battlefield.

Yeah I found the bipod a bit fiddly.

Mapped to right click needs to be changed, it needs its own key really as too many times you go for iron sights/scope and end up deploying the bipods. Insta-death.

Frigging loving the M4 for the engineer. This may turn into my first platinum like BC2's 9A for the engineer.

Agreed, I love the M4 as well. It's become one of my favorite weapons, it odd how it behaves different than the M16A3.
I'm close to unlocking the SCAR-H, for engineer. Can't wait to unlock the EOD bot.

An image about why I think you should only be able to Squad Spawn on your Squad Leader:

Don't use the flashlight if you value your in game life. It's like spotting yourself for the enemy.

hO0gw.jpg

Well, the 360 beta starting working again and now that I've played it, I am really enjoying this game. The guns all feel really good, though I'm only talking about the shooting. It seems like the damage they do is random, sometimes it'll be a one hit kill and other times it'll take an entire mag. I also really love how much customization there is, being able to take the scope off a sniper rifle is so cool. I think if I'm having this much fun on a map like Metro, larger scale maps with vehicles should be a blast.

I hate metro.
Hate hate hate.
Feels like I'm really playing BC3, with extra annoying out-of-game bullshit.

I just want to play a big conquest map and perhaps my opinion will change.

Oh, I also had to unplug my 360 controller (which is supported). Otherwise my guy just looks down and won't do anything else when I move the mouse.

So how does the sniper scope glare work? I often see a lot of glares in the distance. Are those always snipers, or can they be people with flashlights as well? Because it seems to me that snipers now stick out like a sore thumb, but I may be confusing them with flashlight folks. But I swear I've just been killed by a recon at close range, standing up, who did not have a flashlight equipped, but I did see a glare, because I wouldn't have spotted him without it. It seems kind of.. lame to me, to make snipers so visible. I have no doubt they can still be effective (he did kill me after all) but to me it takes the feeling out of being a sniper away. Part of the appeal is lying in wait for your enemy, concealed, invisible. Once you open fire, all bets are off, but when I'm just taking aim or scouting, I don't think my enemy should get help spotting me. Currently I get the feeling snipers are more visible than say an assault with a scoped rifle, who make pretty effective sharpshooters too.

i think i have a grand total of 60 points for the recon class simply because it's a) so pointless being recon on operation metro when single-shot assault riles or the RPK single-shot is just as good and b) the glare is so obvious that it's an insta-death straight away.

Tried it on a friend's rig, gave me a slightly more positive impression but I'm still not digging the gunplay. Everything feels so fidgety, I just can't get a hang of how to react to things with any kind of accuracy. Also, for some reason I find it incredibly difficult to maintain any level of situational awareness. Most of my deaths are still from people I couldn't see or hear and had no reasonable way of avoiding. On a purely technical level the graphics are amazing, but I feel like everything is getting so ****ing cluttered now that it compromises your ability to actually discern targets in the environment. Especially when they're two pixels peering over a rock in the distance.

Personally, I experience great success when I play the game like it's the son of BC2 and Raven Shield. There's a lot of... constructed disconnection in the way you control your player and weapon, and it makes the gunplay more technical and analog than you'd expect.

I love love love the shotgun when underground in the tight spaces. It just annihilates everyone. Me and about five others were all in the corridors and we came across five or six enemies. Somehow all my team mates got killed and there was just me left. There was a lot of confusion since so many people met at once I was just left standing in the middle of them all! Thankfully they were all looking around on the floors looking for prone players and I just proceeded to pick them off one by one at close range with my shotgun. The last two guys got it with the pistol. I loved it :D

Personally, I experience great success when I play the game like it's the son of BC2 and Raven Shield. There's a lot of... constructed disconnection in the way you control your player and weapon, and it makes the gunplay more technical and analog than you'd expect.

Couldn't have said it better. It's kind of the perfection of the kind of gunplay DICE began with Frostbite 2. I'm obsessed with it, actually. I think it's the most immerive shooting since Source games. Others will obviously be inclined to disagree, and sure, other engines do things like close quarters combat a bit more smoothly - but BF3 is a vast improvement, it just feels, plays and looks cool. Very hard to put it into words. I'm also better at the flinch shooting elements than the average Joe who plays though, so that always helps. /braggart

I'm starting to really appreciate this game now. Turned a few minor settings down to medium and the framerate is a hell of a lot better also, without any discernible difference in the image quality. Who knows how well that will hold up on the bigger maps though. You really would have to have some kind of beast of a PC to max everything out in stereostopic 3D with 60FPS...the beta doesn't even allow the highest detail settings either, does it? The stuff in the youtube gameplay videos certainly looks a lot more impressive than what it looks like on mine.

Can be REALLY frustrating though when you get a run of just spawn-die-spawn-die-spawn-die-spawn-die from people you can't even see. That doesn't really happen to me in BC2.

I turned on v-sync and still see screen tearing so maybe.

https://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/120072134226751488

**** EA and DICE up their collective assholes!

At least it isn't as shitty as their decision to close all Caspian Border servers. Wish I knew they would and played longer on the single day it was available(for non-early access people). Operation Metro is a bit boring with how sniper-friendly it is, hope they will include a vehicle map later on in the beta.

Back