PC Gamer Portal 2 article summary

Tony

Spy
Reaction score
This month's PC Gamer included the first detailed preview of Portal 2's co-op campaign. Since posting magazine scans on this site is a criminal offense punishable by death, here is a list of the new information the article gives us:

- The co-op bots can express different emotions in third person (similar to TF2's taunts)

- Co-op features several timed puzzles (i.e. hitting several buttons before the timer ends)

- GLaDOS frequently tries to create friction between the duo by pretending to favor one over the other

- There is "a lot less storyline" in co-op because of the amount of player discussion it takes to play it

- The player can communicate with his partner using a "place portal here" symbol, a "look" symbol, and starting a 3 second countdown timer on both players' screens

- There are between two and four personality spheres you will encounter (including Wheatley)

- The co-op bots will make an appearance in single player

- Erik Walpow sorta kinda hinted at sticky gel

- Portal 2 was once not going to have any portals at all (it was more of puzzle game in general)

Thanks for that bit of info, Tony! :cheers:

Interesting that Portal 2 wasn't going to have Portals in the first place. Good thing they changed their minds, since using Portals to solve puzzles was the biggest appeal for me in the game. And a Sticky Gel? Interesting.

Sticky gel was bound to be in the game, as it was in Tag (the game the Portal 2 paint mechanics are based off of). What will be new is coating objects with the paint so they stick, based off of the new repulsion gel video.

Does it say that the 2-4 spheres are in the single player campaign or in the co-op campaign, or both?

Thanks for this information, got my hype meter a lot higher.
A lot of these features show Valve really thought about how to make co-op fun in a game like Portal. I'm going to pre-order it blindly.

Does it say that the 2-4 spheres are in the single player campaign or in the co-op campaign, or both?

It never really specified. But I'd assume they're mostly all in single player since co-op is said to be lighter on story.

- The co-op bots can express different emotions in third person (similar to TF2's taunts)

KA-BOOOOOM!

- GLaDOS frequently tries to create friction between the duo by pretending to favor one over the other

Really, REALLY like this idea :)

- The player can communicate with his partner using a "place portal here" symbol, a "look" symbol, and starting a 3 second countdown timer on both players' screens

I hope mic support is a given

- Portal 2 was once not going to have any portals at all (it was more of puzzle game in general)

Interesting..

The player communications sound great, a 3 second timer is a fantastic idea. Only reinforcing the fact that I will buy this game for sure.

Yar. I saw the scans on Facepunch.

There will also be a PIP (picture-in-picture) kind of thing going on with the two players, so each player can see what the other is looking at, at certain times. Similar to Alien Swarm's PIP stuff.

Yar. I saw the scans on Facepunch.

There will also be a PIP (picture-in-picture) kind of thing going on with the two players, so each player can see what the other is looking at, at certain times. Similar to Alien Swarm's PIP stuff.

I cannot be more excited for a puzzle game right now.

I think the colors of portal can be change in-game, look at the teaser co op and little diagram from page 5. In coop teaser are blue-purple portal and in the diagram are Blue-Red and Purple-Orange. Sorry for my bad english :(

Back