PC version

Will have it tonight, nearly done downloading.

I'll be interested to see if I get any performance problems with my Q6600@3ghz, 4GBDDR, 280GTX 1028mb rig. :D /e-penis

Your e-penis is going to shrivel and die when you see you're only getting 30fps.

My excitement level has dropped a bit after hearing a majority of negative feedback but I expect it to run well on my rig, Quad 9550 + GTA 280. Not sure whether to make an impulse buy this weekend or not. In the meantime I have Dead Space to finish, which I am really enjoying.

And people wonder why piracy is still thriving. It's because of developers/publishers such as this, that show utter disregard toward their PC user base.
They have already made their profit from the console versions. Whether you buy or are able to flawlessly play their game is not really any of their concern.
More of them are following this trend,this is just further prove. Thankfully we still have Valve around,who continuously support their games as well as their communities.
This.
After hearing about all of the kerfuffle, I don't really care that my PC probably can't run GTA IV. I'm sure it's a fantastic game but I don't want to have to wade through all that bullshit in order to play a sloppy port that HAS TO be on-line whenever I want to play it.

This sort of aggressive attitude towards anti-piracy only really hurts legitimate owners and I'm surprised that devs/publishers haven't cottoned on to how much the gaming community will hate them for using it and just how much it will encourage piracy.

This.
After hearing about all of the kerfuffle, I don't really care that my PC probably can't run GTA IV. I'm sure it's a fantastic game but I don't want to have to wade through all that bullshit in order to play a sloppy port that HAS TO be on-line whenever I want to play it.

This sort of aggressive attitude towards anti-piracy only really hurts legitimate owners and I'm surprised that devs/publishers haven't cottoned on to how much the gaming community will hate them for using it and just how much it will encourage piracy.

Completely agreed.

We haven't bought spore due to one, it being apparently a rather subpar game compared to the hype, and two, it adopting those ridiculous "install only a certain number of times" bullshit.

The stupidest part about SecuROM and the like is that they inevitably are cracked by pirates within hours of the game's release (often before) and all of a sudden the pirated game is the one that's more convenient to install and have.

The stupidest part about SecuROM and the like is that they inevitably are cracked by pirates within hours of the game's release (often before) and all of a sudden the pirated game is the one that's more convenient to install and have.

Exactly! Instead of making the port better suited for PCs they spent all this time trying to make their game hackproof... They could have optimized performance or fixed bugs but instead we get a slap in the face with securom and all that account tracking bs.

Ironically, I read that as "instead we get a slap in the face with scrotum".

I often have to use CD/DVD cracks because for whatever reason the disc won't read or isn't detected when I run the game. This happens to me often with games that use some form of DRM. So, I just bought a game I can't play because the piece of shit SecuROM says "lol, dizc n0t in da drive wut wut". If it wasn't for No-CD/DVD cracks I'd be screwed.

FPS>24 = win. I'm not a high FPS junky.

Well, I guess if you're down for your two thousand dollar computer giving you 24 frames per second, then you're the kind of person Rockstar was aiming for with this release. Congrats!

This game is wayyyy over rated to be honest. Some mission are just so lame and old!
All I keep doing is piking people up and driving them around...

Valve is even refunding if you baught it by Steam.

Why can't all companies be like Valve ?

I wish I could get a refund, but I doubt EBGames would take it back.

Well, I tried a warez version just to see if I could play it, and if it wasn't for that shaky cam thing I could play it without any lag, I think. This was on low textures, high renderer and 33 distance view, something like that. The game doesn't look bad even in low texture settings, and so I've decided to buy it. Hopefully they'll be able to fix some performance issues, and the fact that even if I want to I can't put those damn textures on medium. I ran it with a duo, 2 gig ram and an 8800gts.

The game DOESN'T look bad on low texture settings, but I wouldn't mind experimenting with higher settings..

edit - of course, I'll buy it when they release some patches and I stop seeing you guys complaining :p

I've heard some people speculate that the reason the numbers for 'required memory' are so high in the graphics setup, and therefore the reason you need a space age rig to set textures above medium, is perhaps because the game doesn't do any texture streaming and instead preloads everything.

This is terrible, I honestly can't believe how poor this is.

What I've found so far:

1. You need a Rockstar Friends Account to Login and play Multiplayer and use some in-game features.
  2. You need a Windows Live Account to Login to SAVE your progress.
  3. Rockstar Friends thing boots at startup. I can't find a way to disable it.
  4. High Graphics = 850mb Video Memory. Which lags... badly. (on my 280GTX system)
  5. No menu buttons, you have to exist/confirm menu settings using your keyboard.
  6. Configuring controls doesn't work it brings up an Xbox 360 controller - NOT A KEYBOARD!
Seriously WTF.

Waste of time.

You can configure your keyboard controls, you click a different option on the Controls screen than the one you clicked that brought up the 360 controller which is a separate config.

Cheers but why is it default? Just found simply Right Click > Don't run at Startup gets rid of that Rockstar POS.

This is terrible, I honestly can't believe how poor this is.

What I've found so far:

1. You need a Rockstar Friends Account to Login and play Multiplayer and use some in-game features.
  2. You need a Windows Live Account to Login to SAVE your progress.
  3. Rockstar Friends thing boots at startup. I can't find a way to disable it.
  4. High Graphics = 850mb Video Memory. Which lags... badly. (on my 280GTX system)
  5. No menu buttons, you have to exist/confirm menu settings using your keyboard.
  6. Configuring controls doesn't work it brings up an Xbox 360 controller - NOT A KEYBOARD!
Seriously WTF.

Waste of time.

1. So?
2. You can create an offline account and it'll automatically sign in anyway.
3. msconfig....or right click the icon.
4. High graphics are designed for hardware that most people don't have (i.e. doesn't yet exist). Remember Crysis? Yeah same deal, quit crying.
5. Yeah that sucks.
6. You're pressing the wrong button. You pressed the button to edit the pad controls for you know hooking up a pad to the PC.

but I don't want to have to wade through all that bullshit in order to play a sloppy port that HAS TO be on-line whenever I want to play it.

Completely wrong. You need to be online once to register the game and you don't even need the PC with the game installed to be online to register.

ITT kids believing whatever they see written in a forum. I'm playing the game with no problems what so ever except for the annoying arse console menu. Some people are having genuine technical problems but they aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

Your e-penis is going to shrivel and die when you see you're only getting 30fps.

Because some guys failed to port a game to take advantage of a different architecture? He still has a stupidly overpowered rig, well we only have his word on that. I've seen enough "I have such an such but this game runs like shit" posts to make me not believe anyone's system specs unless backed up by pretty pictures.

Well, I was having horrible performance with this at first, then I created a commandline.txt in the GTA 4 root folder with this text:-

"-noprecache -nomemrestrict -norestrictions -novblank"

Since doing this the game runs reasonably well for me on Medium Textures and Very High Render.

The game has V-Sync enabled with no option to turn it off in the menu, so this greatly increases the FPS when you use this command line, not so sure about the noprecache, but it was recommended to add it so I did.

I also got the ForceWare 180.60 beta's, which seem to improve things a bit (at least they fixed the hardware scaling and Digital Vibrance on XP if nothing else).

As for all the other crap such as not saving, it's bull, you can create an offline account so you never need be on-line to play it. Now all the game needs is some AA

I read somewhere, (maybe someone linked it here, but definately on the Steam forums) that having the sliders for some things at about 10 was equal to the console performance and such like.

I think a big problem is that people expect to put everything to max with their top of the line rigs and being able to play perfectly.

My guess is that R* didn't implement the graphics config in a way that will suit most PC gamers.

4. High graphics are designed for hardware that most people don't have (i.e. doesn't yet exist). Remember Crysis? Yeah same deal, quit crying.

I'm not "crying", the performance on this game is a POS.

I remember Crysis, didn't like the gameplay but graphics on Very High ran without hitches. I buy this game, with graphics hardly ground breaking and when I set it on High Textures it takes up all my GPU Memory and I can't even put the sliders past halfway with out it running like crap.

I would prove my rig if I knew a none-cheat way of doing so. I shouldn't expect a Quad Core with a 280GTX to run this poorly.

The logins I don't want, I don't want to create an account, I don't want anything to do with accounts on a Singleplayer game. It's ludicrous.

Just been playing and have been having fun; however I haven't had much fun with the graphics settings.

Shadows: I have never been fond of the grainy shadows filters, its not much of a problem up close, but when you looking at them from some distance away, it looks bloody aweful, with or without the shadow details on high or low. I would of just prefered the sharper, yet less realistic shadow system or disabled altogether.

No AA :(: I was disappointed that there was no AA support, even the nVidia override doesn't work

Minigame mouse sensitivity: How many people have the same problem with me in that the mouse isn't senstive enough in this area.

As for key combos, Exit/Enter Vehicle should be the same as interact with object. Where many actions in the xbox360 version context sensitive?

One good thing though is that it hasn't crashed on me yet, which happened every 15 minutes with SA

I remember Crysis, didn't like the gameplay but graphics on Very High ran without hitches. I buy this game, with graphics hardly ground breaking and when I set it on High Textures it takes up all my GPU Memory and I can't even put the sliders past halfway with out it running like crap.

I would prove my rig if I knew a none-cheat way of doing so. I shouldn't expect a Quad Core with a 280GTX to run this poorly.

The logins I don't want, I don't want to create an account, I don't want anything to do with accounts on a Singleplayer game. It's ludicrous.

Crysis was quiet playable (30-40 fps) on medium-high settings on my PC, while GTA4 struggles on low settings (and the graphics look like shit)

Exactly, I don't want their social club crap either.

I'm running on a amd x2 4200+m and I'm getting 24/30 fpsm so you should be getting more with your setup.

Jeronimo Barrera: Let's not beat around the bush here. There's a lot of noise like this game doesn't run at all or there's missing textures and everything else. From what we've gathered a lot of those problems are either out of date drivers or we don't support that type of card or you're underspecced or whatever, it's always a combination of one of those things, it's not necessarily that we don't know what we're doing because obviously we put in hundreds and hundreds of hours of test into this. From what we did and from going through certification with Microsoft and our external QA process we didn't run into the amount of problems that the boards seemed to be saying there are. I know that Nvidia and ATI are constantly?I think they're releasing new drivers pretty soon.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/936/936304p1.html

Wow,just wow! Talk about being in denial.

At what screen resolution on what exact settings? My rig isn't anywhere near as powerful as yours yet the game runs at an acceptable performance level (1680x1050 medium, medium, defaults). Although I do get the whole buildings popping in and out thing on some freeways.

Q6600, 2GB RAM and a 7900GS, runs fine on 1024*786 (i think) with Low then Medium and ones/twos for the sliders. Doesn't look as amazing as some peoples, but it runs well and looks decent enough.

Only problem I have had was with the textures when I first played, but a quick update to the new Beta nVidea drivers sorted that one out.

Still think that the Social Club and GFWL is a bit excessive though.

After getting around their stupid ass resource restrictions, ive finally made it so the game at least looks moderately good. The framerate is playable usually, though just barely. I would drop my resolution down, but that only makes the performance worse. GG Rockstar! Also, what this is essentially saying is that a 4850 is not a good enough card to play with medium texture resolution.

Heres the benchmark stats

Statistics
Average FPS: 22.01
Duration: 37.71 sec
CPU Usage: 59%
System memory usage: 35%
Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft? Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.618
Audio Adapter: Speakers (2- SB Audigy)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

And just to show you what settings I would have to play on to get an average frame rate according to rockstar with my good pc...

wtf-1-1.jpg

EDIT: AND GUESS WHAT!

I just ran the bench mark with those settings and I got an amazing 21.22 FRAMES PER SECOND!!! WHOOOOOOO!!!! Thats ****ing stupid. There is no point in not setting everything to maximum, I get the same performance either way. BRB testing it with highest textures.

Krynn, I've heard that shadow density is a real killer compared to the other sliders. Try knocking it right down.

Back