Planet Half-Life Portal Interview.

Sloth

Tank
Reaction score
For all those eager to get their hands on anything that has anything to do with Portal; the team over at Planet Half-Life have recently interviewed both Kim Swift and Jeep Barnett who are team members of the original Narbacular Drop team and now the Valve Portal team. [br]

newsspacer.gif
[br]The interview is well worth the read, as well as the small collection of new screenshots and a gameplay video of '15'. To view the interview, with links to the video at the end of the article, simply click here.

Nice interview, but Fileplanet? Thanks but no thanks. I'll just wait till the 10th to figure out how to solve that particular puzzle.

I'm baffled how the gravity gun orange sprites weren't removed at all. (The upper and lower ones)

I dunno, it feels kind of rushed :hmph:

I'm baffled how the gravity gun orange sprites weren't removed at all. (The upper and lower ones)

What sprites? Looks like a Portal gun to me (New crosshair too, all Portal-y)

They'd've had to've been deliberately added. I agree that they don't look good at all - we'll probably get used to 'em, though, just like we've done with the past four iterations of the portal border effect. ;)

Is it me, or when you click on the pictures, you get some nifty gamespy flash window thing open.

Interesting interview, downloading video now.

Guy in the video did that trick the hard way. Would have been quite easy to set up an infinite loop, say blue on ceiling, orange on ground, then once he built up enough momentum, put blue on the wall, go through the orange on the floor and fly out the wall (at terminal velocity if you loop for long enough).

Atleast it seems easier to me, only need to shoot 3 portals instead of 4, and only 1 in mid-flight.

Portal is half the reason why I bought the Orange Box, the other half is Episode 2, and TF2 has been a very pleasant surprise but after 2 weeks of pretty much solid play its replay value is starting to wane for me until they release new maps. Portal should be fine for me, though,, because I have a terrible memory so I should be able to replay it a year later and get near-enough the same gameplay experience. :)

I think his favorite game is Super Mario Brothers for the N64. And so he just thought that this type of gameplay was something that could appeal to a lot of people.

Wait what.

Do they have to ask that same first question all the time? :sleep: Anyways it's a great interview. There needs to be life after Portal and I think Kim might want to lead her team into a HL RTS. Could be on the 7 hour war or combine vs rebels like Halo Wars, who knows? There must be a new project for them to work on because I very much doubt there will be a Portal 2. Btw I noticed that Kim worked on Episode 1 when I beat it last night.

Do they have to ask that same first question all the time? :sleep: Anyways it's a great interview. There needs to be life after Portal and I think Kim might want to lead her team into a HL RTS. Could be on the 7 hour war or combine vs rebels like Halo Wars, who knows? There must be a new project for them to work on because I very much doubt there will be a Portal 2. Btw I noticed that Kim worked on Episode 1 when I beat it last night.

They've got some interesting concepts for a Portal 2, actually. Besides, even if there isn't, they could just disseminate into existing teams.

An HL RTS? Madness! :cheese:

Yeah, I'm starting to hate that first question.
Portal multiplayer, Portal mappack (or addon), helping out including the portal gun in EP3, Portal 2? They have plenty of work!

Besides the Source engine would be a nightmare to develop an RTS on. Since Valve only uses the Source engine at the moment I don't see a RTS game coming from them any time soon.

Great interview btw! :)

Eh already found this video a few days ago but it's still good, at least now I know it's not a beta tester.

Back