Poll about our post ratings system

What kind of post ratings should we have?

• Simple +1 / -1 (aka Like/Dislike)

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Multiple ratings (Like, Dislike, Agree, Disagree)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Like only

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No rating system at all

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK.

Here we go.

When we launched yesterday, you were able to rate any post with a number of different options. Ranging Like to Funny to Informative, even Bad Spelling. I'm not saying we had the right mix of ratings, but we do personally feel internally that multiple likes is a good feature.

However, there have been some people who have been pretty negative about the concept at all.

Earlier on today, we removed most of the ratings and replaced it with a simple +1 / -1 ratings. Since then I have received complaints about this, seemingly in favour of multiple ratings.

So we need to quantify this to ensure we can make a more informed decision. So here's a poll.

I want the absence of a rating system back.

I'm indifferent. I guess we'll all use it for a bit and then the novelty will wear off and people will forget to use it. Speaking from experience, on the 2 forums I used to be part of, one had a post rating system which worked in stars (1 to 5 star rating) and the one I was a mod for had a "reputation system."

The rep system was used frequently, you could either '+' or '-' posts, each time contributing to an overall rating which appeared under the user's avatar with other info represented by green '+' boxes (or red '-' boxes if you managed to get a lot of bad rep).

It was pretty cool but as with most things, Elitist forum members abused it, often given negative rep to newer members and waving their own high rep as a metaphorical e-dick.

Overall, a like/dislike system for individual posts is probably not going to specifically bring any major benefits to ValveTime, in my view. It's kind of just... there...

Having been on Facepunch for a while, it's become a habit to just rate posts when you don't really feel like replying... but I suppose that I mostly do it to piss off the morons there.

I don't know what it would add to our community as it's still rather small but on a hugely popular message board I suppose it's a way of glossing over posts and whichever has the most desirable amount of positive rating gets read and responded to.

Really, I don't know and I don't really care if we keep them or not.
It depends mostly on how much more popular the board is going to get now that it has changed.

Toss-up for me between Like Only and No Ratings. Voted to keep the Like because sometimes I'll like someone's post but have nothing else worthwhile to say, so that would be a good way to show appreciation without having to spam. I don't see the point of Disliking though. If you dislike something that much, post about it; otherwise, keep it to yourself :).

Toss-up for me between Like Only and No Ratings. Voted to keep the Like because sometimes I'll like someone's post but have nothing else worthwhile to say, so that would be a good way to show appreciation without having to spam. I don't see the point of Disliking though. If you dislike something that much, post about it; otherwise, keep it to yourself :).

I'd have to agree. If we were going to decide to keep anything I'd go for Like Only but the poll seems to be between Like/Dislike and not having a system at all.

It doesn't really affect me. It's an inoffensive way of agreeing with something when you have nothing to contribute, in other words getting away with "QFT"ing without annoying people, so I can appreciate why people might like it for that. Personally, I'll still always make a post if I feel like I have something to add, being the outspoken asshole I am, so shortcuts like this don't really faze me.

The more detailed ratings system was kind of neat but I can see how it would lead to problems. Having a bunch of dumb ratings on your posts might discourage people from posting more... or perhaps that's the intent. :p

Hm, ok.

I think this thread proves that we're certainly not going to make everyone happy.

The +/- system (that I haven't actually coded yet :eek: ) seems to be winning at the moment. It is level pegging with not having a system at all, but overall there are 15 votes in favour of keeping the system in some form vs 9 in favour of ditching it.

I will see how the poll goes for a little bit longer.

I'd say keep it for individual posts, but I would be hesitant to see it become something which people can use as an 'e-peenor' kind of thing. Have it on posts, but maybe not linked to profiles?

Chris, If you bring back "Helpful" and "Informative" I promise to rate the OP as both helpful and informative.

Chris, If you bring back "Helpful" and "Informative" I promise to rate the OP as both helpful and informative.
As tempting as the offer is - it seems as though the preference is towards a simple +/- system.

Hmm... how else to sway you...

I would mildly question the integrity of the poll simply because the extra option examples are redundant copies of like/dislike. It's possible that most of the like/dislike-only people have no idea of the true nature of the alternative ratings and are merely voting against extreme redundancy. Only a handful of people got to see them before they were disabled, after all :V

I am not a wealthy man. Perhaps a story or a song will do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back