Polygamy - Are you for or against? And why?

Are you for or against polygamy?

• Total voters

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
And as a side note, do you support or not support gay marriage as well? It's a relevant question, i'm just curious how many people are selective about what they will accept and won't accept, or whether they keep an open/closed mind to everything.

OOPS. Thought this was a gay marriage thread. Grr discount my vote. Not sure about polygamy.

You should also make it a private poll. :O

I'll try to change it. But why a private poll? If people are gonna vote, why not vote which side they support?

EDIT: Won't let me change it.

who cares ...marry a horse for all I care ...just make sure it's consentual

While I feel that people who practise polygamy are seriously retarded, they can do it... but it should never be legally recognized.

i'm not interested in being a polygamist myself, but if someone else wants to do it, and all members are consenting, then let em. it's not our place to tell them not to.

Spartan said:
While I feel that people who practise polygamy are seriously retarded, they can do it... but it should never be legally recognized.

So umm... how are they different than people who are gay? They are merely practicing the freedom to explore things outside the general tolerances of society. How are polygamists wrong and retarded, and homosexuals right and smart about their decisions in life?

I don't support Polygamy, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't support it, while at the same time being turned off by gay marriage. I view them as equal lifestyle choices in my mind, in the sense that if you can marry gay, why can't you marry with more than one consenting partner?

Raziaar said:
So umm... how are they different than people who are gay? They are merely practicing the freedom to explore things outside the general tolerances of society. How are polygamists wrong and retarded, and homosexuals right and smart about their decisions in life?

I wasn't comparing them with homosexuals. I don't even know why you mentioned them.

Spartan said:
I wasn't comparing them with homosexuals. I don't even know why you mentioned them.

I highly suspect that this is a thinly veiled attempt to associate gay marriage with the idea of polygamy. It is a tactic already employed by many right-wing activists.

And just so there is no confusion, I shall state that gay marriage has nothing to do with polygamy.

falconwind said:
I highly suspect that this is a thinly veiled attempt to associate gay marriage with the idea of polygamy. It is a tactic already employed by many right-wing activists.

And just so there is no confusion, I shall state that gay marriage has nothing to do with polygamy.

No, it doesnt have much directly to do with it... But its along the same lines that people should have the freedoms to express and engage in the activities they so choose, so long as it should not harm others. I explicitly mentioned gay marriage in the first post of this thread, to see if people were against one, but for the other, and why? I know he was for gay marriage, but thinks that polygamy and the people who practice it, are retarded.

They're not the same, no. But they're both lifestyle choices and I fail to see how someone can be so radically for one, but so adamantly against another. It fits the definition of bigot.

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

EDIT: And please... please explain why the people who practice Polygamy are retarded. Polygamy has been supported just like homosexuality throughout history. The greeks, romans, macedonians, persians, and many other muslim nations practiced polygamy. Ever heard of a Harem?

for myself, i am against polygamy

everyone else can do as they please though.

and as for gay marriage, its a basic HUMAN right, gender shouldnt enter into it, in other words yes, gay marriage should be as legal as straight marriage

they should also be allowed to adopt children, just because they are gay doesnt mean they are immoral no matter what your religion says, if they abuse the kid he should be taken away from them (same for a straight couple) but im sure there are tons of gay couples out there with a lot of love to give to a poor kid who has lived in an orphanage his whole life. why fu*k that up because you are a bigot?

if you agree with what im saying here and it makes sense to you, check out my laws on my forums:

http://lunchf***uck.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38

remove the ***

:thumbs:

I just don't approve polygamy. If you want to do it, go ahead, it doesn't concern me, but I still don't like it.

Spartan said:
I just don't approve polygamy. If you want to do it, go ahead, it doesn't concern me, but I still don't like it.

I don't like it either, just trying to see how people can support one so readily but not the other.

If you support vegatarism (for example), it doesn't mean that you should also support something else. And I don't even see a connection between gay marriages and polygamy.

Spartan said:
If you support vegatarism (for example), it doesn't mean that you should also support something else. And I don't even see a connection between gay marriages and polygamy.

The only connection is, they are both sexual and lifestyle choices. It's the exact same thing as saying gay marriage is wrong but heterosexual marriage is not. And I don't see how you can think of it as not being that. Unless you just choose to be ignorant.

I'm perfectly okay with both of them.
I'll only start objecting when people
Decide that they want to marry animals.

Ikerous said:
I'm perfectly okay with both of them.
I'll only start objecting when people
Decide that they want to marry animals.

Agreed. Since marriage with animals isn't consenting.

Raziaar said:
The only connection is, they are both sexual and lifestyle choices. It's the exact same thing as saying gay marriage is wrong but heterosexual marriage is not. And I don't see how you can think of it as not being that. Unless you just choose to be ignorant.

I can approve one lifestyle and condemn another. It's perfectly logical and consistent.

CptStern said:
who cares ...marry a horse for all I care ...just make sure it's consentual

that situation worked out quite well for caligula i hear.

i will just voice the reason for my vote regarding OP by stating that being a bit on the older side, i have to work enough to please ONE woman to satisfaction much less two or three!!!

;)

I voted yes but I'm not really sure. quite a can of worms. Gay marriage, you can say 1 + 1, doesn't matter if 1 is gay or 1 is strait, man, woman, etc.

1 + 1 + 1 != 2 though, in programming terms. trying to figure out how legal recognition of polygamy would work would certaintly be a difficult task.

But, on the whole.... I'm very open to non-conventional relationships. I don't know how well people in our society could deal with this kind of thing, but for some people it could work out wonderfully... for bisexual people in long-term non-monogamous relationships with multiple partners. If it works for you go for it. I'd be perfectly content if this was the direction human relationships and human sexuality evolved to. It seems a stretch this day and age but I wouldn't rule it out for the future.

This is not to say that the historical precedent that polygamy often leads to abusive or unhealthy relationships -- should be ignored. Utah polygamists often had numerous uneducated, unempowered wives living at levels of poverty. Polygamy is not an excuse for perpetuating an unequal and male-dominated society. These religious underpinnnings would need to be dismissed before any resonable approximation of an acceptable more-than-two marriage could be realistic. That would be hard to legislate of course, I can understand to a degree why these laws were adopted originally, they may not be all bad...

Marry only 1 but have as many partners as you want (assuming all of the partners are all right with it). Thats my view.

Against it. I mean shit, even if you could have more than one spouse, would you really want to? Besides, I fancy chivalry too dearly anyway.

I'm against it. When you're married, you're devoted to that one person. If you're going to partake in polygamy, why even be married?

Back