Pondering buying a new PC, upgrade vs very high-end?

Then all is well. I opted for a 7200 since I'm pretty much using it for games.

I do use it for quite a few games, mainly my current Steam install, but haven't noticed any major troubles.

On the SSD I only have the ARMA2 titles installed so far.

I might re-install Steam onto the SSD at a later date though, but as it is now my Steam folder is 150 GB, too big for the SSD.

I've heard it's good to keep the OS to its own disk and performance things like games on another drive. It supposedly works by keeping the OS load on its own drive and the game's load to that other disk. So I've kept my Steam folder on another drive.

I do use it for quite a few games, mainly my current Steam install, but haven't noticed any major troubles.

On the SSD I only have the ARMA2 titles installed so far.

I might re-install Steam onto the SSD at a later date though, but as it is now my Steam folder is 150 GB, too big for the SSD.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

I have steam itself installed on my SSD with the steamapps folder linked to a mass storage drive.

Ooohh thanks for that link! I just recently learned about the process to do that with Windows but I hadn't used it yet and that program will make it incredibly easy. :bounce:

Or you could just copy your whole steam folder over. That's what I did.

What are you talking about Deathmaster? The entire steam folder likely won't fit on the SSD, which is why the gamedata folder "steamapps" is junction linked to a mass storage drive and the rest of steam is loaded off of the SSD for speed benefits. You can't yet specify where games get installed in Steam itself, so you need to use a program like that (or just do it from the command line) to move them elsewhere. Simply making that junction link will have all new game data placed on the mass storage drive instead of the SSD.

Not talking about SSDs in particular, it's simply how I did it.

Thanks for that program Destructo-Bot, will try it out later on Metro 2033!

Back