Pope Bans Homosexuals from ordination as priests

I'm kinda surprised this wasn't already true. It's not really a surprise.

And from what I understand theres some real problems when Popes try to reneg on things other Popes said. Apparently they catch a lot of flack from the upper echelons of Christiandom for it.

Direwolf said:
I'm kinda surprised this wasn't already true. It's not really a surprise.

And from what I understand theres some real problems when Popes try to reneg on things other Popes said. Apparently they catch a lot of flack from the upper echelons of Christiandom for it.

well the priesthood at least, in my parents day, would be a vocation that many homosexuals would choose ...now before you over react here's some background ..homosexuality was socially unacceptable, moreso for people of faith. ..what better way of stifling someone's inate homosexuality than joining the priesthood? Many saw homosexuality as a test of faith and only through working for god could they get rid of those urges

This move by the pope is really more of a case of throwing a dog a bone. He needs to do something about all the pedophelia cases involving priests and what better way to assuage the fears of the faithful than by banning a lifestyle that many believe is responsible for the pedophelia (even if it's completely misguided: 80% of pedos identify themselves as hetero)

That doesn't actually mean anything when you think about it. Because there are far less homosexuals than heterosexuals...

Sulkdodds said:
That doesn't actually mean anything when you think about it. Because there are far less homosexuals than heterosexuals...

that's in 80% of the cases ...so it doesnt actually matter that there's less homosexuals. The disctinction is that pedophiles are sexually attracted to children (gender is unimportant and is only a preference) while homosexuals are attracted to adults of the same sex

Not that it's really relevant, but it just seemed like an odd statistic to me. Surely it's like, OF COURSE more paedophiles are heterosexual, because more people generally are heterosexual. I don't think paedophilia is such a differing sexual orientation as homosexuality.

Sulkdodds said:
Not that it's really relevant, but it just seemed like an odd statistic to me. Surely it's like, OF COURSE more paedophiles are heterosexual, because more people generally are heterosexual. I don't think paedophilia is such a differing sexual orientation as homosexuality.

I'm not really sure how pedophelia is classified ..I mean is it a mutually exclusive preference? or can they be classified as hetero/pedo or homo/pedo? or hetero, homo, pedo, and ...errr ..other preferences: necrophelia, chicken loving etc

That's exactly it, because I personally think it can be classified as hetero/paedo, homo/paedo, bisexual/paedo. But I'm certainly not an expert on the subject :)eek:) and so I guess it's a moot point.

IN ANY CASE. Pope is bad, mmkay?

Finally! A way to keep the thousands of hopeful priests at bay! this will give the church a chance to whittle down the overwhelming surplus of people interested in priesthood! way to go church!

Last One In said:
They're just going by what the bible says.

The bible says a lot of things things and there are quite a few that Christianity doesn't go by in this day and age.

Pointing to the Bible as an excuse doesn't fly since it's cherry-picked.

Just because some do doesn't mean all of them do. The bible is their second constitution.

Glirk Dient said:
Just because some do doesn't mean all of them do. The bible is their second constitution.
The constitution of the bible overrides that of the state to most true christians.

CptStern said:
the pope needs better researchers: 80% of pedophiles identify themselves as HETEROSEXUAL
Im not catholic so i dont really care what that particular institution chooses to do, but this part is just plain distortion of facts.

80% of pedophiles identify themselves as heterosexual.
90% of the population is heterosexual
10% of the population if homosexual (a washington times study)

therefore wouldnt the pope be right in that if you are indeed a homosexual, you are slightly more likely to be a pedophile, as they are double in terms of pedophiles what they constitute in (american, at least) society?

Using that logic, only women should be priests.

The overwhelming majority of pedophiles are men.

Ehh, not so surprising to me. There are gay priests out there really though? I thought the bible recgonized marriage between a man and a woman.

Mechagodzilla said:
This isn't about logic though, rather obviously. Logically, you wouldn't exclude anyone based on sex, race or etc.
um what law prohibits the catholic church from excluding anybody it chooses? the vatican isnt controlled by the same laws american corporations are. i cant kick someone out of my store just because they are gay, but the vatican can.
S.L. said:
Ehh, not so surprising to me. There are gay priests out there really though? I thought the bible recgonized marriage between a man and a woman.
since when do priests have to be married?

Kmack said:
Finally! A way to keep the thousands of hopeful priests at bay! this will give the church a chance to whittle down the overwhelming surplus of people interested in priesthood! way to go church!

Laughing my FREEKING ASS OFF!!!!!!

gh0st said:
um what law prohibits the catholic church from excluding anybody it chooses?

I said it was illogical, not illegal.

It's not illegal to wear a dead bird as a hat either, but you've got to question what the hell I'm thinking and whether that's healthy.

I hate to see logic thrown out the window so arbitrarily - while accompanied by cheers.

Frankly, if someone is devoted enough to their faith to want to become a Priest sexual affiliation should have no meaning. Would Jesus say sorry my son, but you love my other sons instead of my daughters so I can't allow you to be a part of my religion. Frankly this whole thing seems a little odd for a religion that prides itself on generosity, acceptance, and forgiveness. They have a shortage of priests, beggars can't be choosers.

as for me (agnostic...i think, possibly buddhist but we'll see), I think it's great, christianity and catholicism need to go away, for the good of Humans as a species (just my opinion). No time to explain here :D

Sulkdodds said:
You too? :eek:

Well, we all know the pope is

- evil
- intolerant
- reactionary
- unfit for his position
- causing thousands of deaths
- a bastard
- a sith
- mean
- Shens

I can honestly say I've never encountered this.
lol, poor Shens. He cops so much

Skaadi said:
lol, poor Shens. He cops so much

Shens is also the official currency of the Democratic People's Republic of HL2.net. :)

i think i read these flipping through newsweek, they convey my sentiments on the situation :

"So the Vatican has decided to make homosexuals the scapegoats for their bishops' inability to deal with pedophile priests? Isn't it ironic that a religion whose founder reached out to the marginalized and outcast of his society now casts out the marginalized members of its own society?"

this one in particular made sense to me:

"The vow of chastity that all priests take precludes any sexual activities. Therefore their sexual orientation makes no difference. The fraction of 1 percent who break this vow are not priests in the eyes of their God."

Kmack said:
i think i read these flipping through newsweek, they convey my sentiments on the situation :

"So the Vatican has decided to make homosexuals the scapegoats for their bishops' inability to deal with pedophile priests? Isn't it ironic that a religion whose founder reached out to the marginalized and outcast of his society now casts out the marginalized members of its own society?"

this one in particular made sense to me:

"The vow of chastity that all priests take precludes any sexual activities. Therefore their sexual orientation makes no difference. The fraction of 1 percent who break this vow are not priests in the eyes of their God."

That actually brings up a good point. Stupid pope.

Back