Portal 2 Box Images Released for NA and EU

My eyes go right to the green boxes, but that's just me really. I'm not saying you don't have a point, your reasoning makes perfect sense, but just rationalizing why one should do better than another won't actually make it so. Boxes are made to sell, and if they didn't sell, then they wouldn't be out there.

Just like how stupid people who make bad decisions will get fired from their managerial jobs.

I used to think the same way. Whenever I saw a bad business decision being made, I figured I was just wrong in assuming it was indeed bad, and that, surely, the people who came up with it thought everything through. Turns out that decision makers don't always make the right move, and that statistics can be misinterpreted or just plain wrong.

Well, just to... "Contrast", if you will, what you two have said, I think that the orange and blue portals, with the leaping, oddly shaped robot in between will catch quite a bit of immediate attention. Let me just repost the image so everyone can easily see what I'm saying.

banner3.jpg

The contrast in colors here is red (Orange) to blue, which is about as opposite as black and white. Meanwhile, these colors are on a faded blue, factory/facility type background, and the leaping robot is in front of a background of white, making his (Or her, I don't know the story yet.) outline and shape more apparent, though the robot itself is an off-white color, you can clearly see it's not a typical design. If the portals on either side don't immediately catch interest, the two strange robots will, as will the setting of the cover. While it may not be the most amazing looking box art, if I saw it on a shelf next to a bunch of other games, I'd probably go for it, supposing I didn't know what portal was. By the way, I think the game's name is elusive enough for anybody to want to know more.

It's not exactly busy, just not plain. I didn't really like it at first, but, then again, I'm not playing the box art, I'm playing the game. Right?

You're taking it out of context, McGoo.

Of course any of those boxes on the shelf look like they'd be eye-catching when you look at just one of them alone. The fact is that nothing on that cover really is very contrasting. The robot is not black, not even close. The 'white background' is only partial. The orange and blue portals are barely orange and blue.

Just to prove the point, I'll post this image again.

20110106185337capture.jpg

Oh wait, something is different about this image. Can't tell? Nothing caught your eye? That should prove my point.

OH GOD I JUST REALIZED
THIS BOX HAS THE BLUE/ORANGE CONTRAST
Orange-and-Blue-Contrast-FUUUU.jpg

Okay. I see what you're saying. I didn't really notice how many media covers use Orange/Blue contrast. It seems like it would work, but obviously it doesn't, cause it took me some doing to find where Portal 2 had been shooped in.

Just like how stupid people who make bad decisions will get fired from their managerial jobs.

I used to think the same way. Whenever I saw a bad business decision being made, I figured I was just wrong in assuming it was indeed bad, and that, surely, the people who came up with it thought everything through. Turns out that decision makers don't always make the right move, and that statistics can be misinterpreted or just plain wrong.

I agree, but your point still doesn't stand on very good ground. It's essentially your preference backed up by a rationalization of it. Plus, I think we're still overestimating the number of people who go out and just browse video games. Other than a handful of dumb spoiled as shit kids, I don't see anybody wandering into a video game store, glancing at some boxes, grabbing one and checking out.

I claim no expertise on the matter, I had only one true graphic design class in my quest to get my art degree. I could certainly be wrong, but I feel like im on steady ground with my claim that clean, simple designs stand out from a crowd more than busy designs. The argument that stupid spoiled people are the only ones who go to a game retailer to actually shop is not very relevant to the point, because, for one, there are a ton of such people. More importantly though, it doesn't change the fact (meaning, I think its true) that busy covers dont attract people's gaze as well. More importantly still, is the fact (not just in my opinion this time) that this principle applies to everything, not just video games. Books, movies, CDs, boxes for pots&pans sets, etc.

Oh man, how I agree and think about that every single time I see a television commercial. Immediately, you see bright lights, fast editing, loud music, exciting voiceovers and heaps of big, colourful text to read. Man, when I make a commercial for my future film - which won't ever actually happen - I think just the fact that they will all start black and silent for the first two seconds or so will have people immediately taking notice of the drastic change compared to all the other ads, and I mean ALL. Never in my life have I ever seen such an ad, and I'm convinced it'll get far more attention and make for a relieving break when there is one. I'm surprised advertising companies don't think about this. Anyway, a simple and calm ad or trailer or piece of advertisement anywhere is definitely something I'd recommend.

More On-Topic; Awesome art boxes! Thanks for having them uploaded, HL2.Net peoplez. I thinks it's a fairly simple and clean design, and I like how it's basically a still, unaltered screenshot from the game. Well, it's altered for the title and size, but everything there is in-game.

I can't wait to play this! its on my top 3 of my most wanted this year
Wait, so is it number one in that list of three? I hope so but you didn't say "top one". If it's not, then why... you heretic.

Do you see The Gruen Transfer in NZ? If not I'd definitely recommend that you have a watch, because I don't think you are 100% right (according to the show anyway, maybe things are different in NZ) about advertising. I'm not having a go at you, but I feel you're focusing a bit too specifically on ads doing this, surely not all are fast-paced, loud music, voice-over type ads... surely.

the art work could have been done better, imo 8/10

Frankly I don't see how it can be better. Its not practical to have the artwork be plain, since that really wouldn't make sense for a game like portal.

Do you see The Gruen Transfer in NZ? If not I'd definitely recommend that you have a watch, because I don't think you are 100% right (according to the show anyway, maybe things are different in NZ) about advertising. I'm not having a go at you, but I feel you're focusing a bit too specifically on ads doing this, surely not all are fast-paced, loud music, voice-over type ads... surely.
Actually, I did see one a while ago when my neighbor showed me. I guess I should hunt more out. They mentioned a few, rare goodies that were already favorites of mine, like the Cadbury Gorilla one, (sorry, I can't seem to show just the link. The video keeps popping up)
which I like because of its calm, simple, yet unexpected nature. And frankly, it's just awesome. There's other ones like a particular national bank, state insurance, flying elephant and farming (or something) one, which I only like for the first half or so because of the music (well, except the awesome flying elephant). Heck, I forget what most are even about since I focus too much on the content. Some have interesting topics and fantastic execution, but they're usually done by the same director I happen to like. For the most part, they're all very noisy.

Anyway, good ones come rarely, but you're right, not all are fast and loud. I've still never seen one that started blank though. :p At the least, something bright with ambient sound, or bright with cool music, but never nothing. I don't think they differ too much depending on what country you're in, but what would I know?

Back