Portal 2 Gameplay With New Paint Mechanics

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
You may recall that Valve employed several Digipen students who developed a game called Tag (More info here). These guys have since been working on Portal 2 introducing the 'painting' surfaces feature into the game.[br]Below is a video showing how this will work in Portal 2 with orange surfaces being slippery and blue surfaces being bouncy. Valve's Erik Johnson is currently showing off this demo in room MR514 at E3.[br]
<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qQLpU0T-Sow&hl=en_GB&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qQLpU0T-Sow&hl=en_GB&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object>​
[br]UPDATE:
[br]
  • See Sony unveil Portal 2 live on stage with an apperance from Gabe Newell. Video here.
  • G4 interview with Doug Lombardi talking about Portal 2 and showing new gameplay footage - Video here (Doug also says Counter Strike Source on Mac coming next week).
  • Check out all 3 parts of IGNs video in the Valve conference room, must watch! Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
We will add further videos as E3 progresses, please feel free to post any footage you find! (Thanks Lobster)

Good thing this shakycam vid is in 1080p or I might not be able to see the details.

I'll give real credit where it's due. If you remember recently Valve hired a team of DigiPEN students similar to Kim Swifts team: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62689. They made a really fun game called "TAG":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8EDbxvlMAU

They also caught the attention at Games Developer Conference 2009 for winning Independent Games Festival "BEST STUDENT GAME" award. Great game which can be played for free and is a really small download here: https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=1506 I would rather have a portal gun and a paint gun to tackle various scenarios instead of just scripted paint sequences. Maybe later in the game they give you that gun.

*Guess I don't read things. Already explained by Glenn. -hool10

but that is part of the game or is just a tech showing?

It's part of the game.

Hool doesn't read newsposts obviously.

Anyway, a hands on from PC Gamer with some other features which are interesting:
* Fluid dynamics
Great globs of liquid fall from pipes, and they change the way you move. Yellow paint makes you move at great speed. Blue makes you bounce high into the air. You spread them by placing portals under their exit pipes, and they slosh around beautifully. The fluid dynamics are startling.
* Excursion funnels
Now you can jump into a floating tractor beam, or as Valve calls them, the ‘excursion funnel’. If you place your portals right, you can divert them from their original path.
* Vacuum tubes
They were used as a comedy way to suck up turrets – just turn their vacuum to the exit of a portal. At one point, the vacuum tubes sucked the panels off a wall.
* Mirrors
Used to divert lasers, and to cook the little turrets. “I’m burning!” they cry, as they slowly toast.
http://www.pcgamer.com/?p=2156

woahhh, Portal 2's gonna rock! And I know a delay for valve means quality, so I'm really excited about that!

Anyone try to find the new Source engine features? Looks like full dynamic shadows are in, as well as the fluid dynamics. Also looks like more complicated physics and higher poly counts...

EDIT: And dynamic light shafts...

Damn this looks like a blast. A confusing, frustrating, blast.

Woah. Looks like it's waaaay more complex than portal. Looking forward to this. Especially for more characters and that brilliant writing.

"Gentlemen, we're releasing Portal 2. This game is going to be a full-price standalone game with all our support and creative teams behind it. We need something new, fresh, and innovative. What've we got?"
"We don't have anything like that here at Valve, sir."
"Well...where do we get it?"
"We could do what we always do and find a mod team or students from Digipen to create new ideas for us."
"You're a goddamn genius."

"Gentlemen, we're releasing Portal 2. This game is going to be a full-price standalone game with all our support and creative teams behind it. We need something new, fresh, and innovative. What've we got?"
"We don't have anything like that here at Valve, sir."
"Well...where do we get it?"
"We could do what we always do and find a mod team or students from Digipen to create new ideas for us."
"You're a goddamn genius."
:LOL:

I'm looking forward to playing this. Too bad there isn't any cross-platform with the PS3.

looks like it may be running on the fabled 'Source 2'. I'm exited about portal 2 now, but I'm annoyed at how oblivious valve are to Episode 3 and our irritation on the subject.

Valve succeeded in an impossible task: making an indie-ish puzzle game mainstream.

] I would rather have a portal gun and a paint gun to tackle various scenarios instead of just scripted paint sequences. Maybe later in the game they give you that gun.

Well.. if you ask me the fact that you can mix the paint falls with the portal gun and spray it everywhere makes it better than a pain gun imo. That way it is more like a puzzle than a "gimiky gun i can use everywhere but does not change much except in 5 places".
I rather have 20 places or more in the game where colour falls and pools and such make an interesting and puzzely part of the game than a gun i can use about as often but makes it less interesting and hard.
just my 5 cents.

Ps. if the text looks butchered my cat walked all over the keyboard and i am not going to reread this 20 times to find what she changed..

Looks amazing, great job, Valve!

I don't mind them delaying it at all, if they can get more awesome stuff like what they've shown so far in it'll be awesome.

I had my doubts that Portal 2 could live up to it's predecessor, but those videos proved me very, very wrong.

Also I like the minimalist techno music they played during the trailer, it be excellent if the entire Portal 2 soundtrack was done in that vein. The music from the first Portal always struck me as deeply foreboding and grim, not bad at all, it just made me feel uneasy while playing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing those links with us Smash.

Looks like they finally have some fancy shadowing and lighting going off, I'm not feeling the voice acting on the personality sphere though.

There's definitely a new dynamic lighting model in there.

Foliage in the first gameplay video looks very good. It's always been a weak point for Source.

Valve succeeded in an impossible task: making an indie-ish puzzle game mainstream.

TWICE.

(Nerbacular Drop was the indie proto-game from Digipen that lead to the creation of Portal.)

I applaud Valve for not only giving a chance to independent developers--straight out of college, no less--the opportunity to work on a main-stream (and award-winning) game, but also for being willing to experiment with new game play mechanics and ideas.

Portal 2 is looking like an awesome sequel. And they haven't even shown the multi-player component yet, which is a whole new campaign in and of itself.

I am damn excited for this game.

actually as pissed off as I am abou the lack of episode 3, portal 2 looks awsome. weatley was funny, and the graphic look stupendous.

Upgraded source, as always. There won't be a "Source 2".

At 3:49 on Part 1, you hear Wheatley say "It's amazing!" from those Dinosaur noises. Looks like it wasn't Kleiner after all...

Back