Portal 2 Officially Announced

Or maybe they just wanted a cool looking cover that advertises the major aspects of a new game.

What's really odd about the Gameinformer cover is, how could you encounter that situation during actual gameplay? As I've said in past posts, you fire the destination portal, then your origin portal, then you jump in the latter and come out the former. The only way to teleport from one room to another (or from inside a building to the outside as appears to be the case on the cover) would be to first go outside, fire a portal, then go back inside and fire a portal, then jump through and end up back outside again.

Thus, for this cover shot to be of actual in-game footage somebody or something other than the player would have had to fire one of those portals -- or there's a door nearby that leads in and out of the building.

The really odd thing, as mentioned by another poster, is that these portals are of different colors yet they appear to be shot into the same place on the same wall but at different times with different destinations. Note the wall panels and textures, especially at bottom-left.

Am I insane, or am I thinking with Portals?

... or is this what is meant by the latest BBS images that mention "cooperative" testing, that Portal 2 is in fact multiplayer despite Kim Swift's comments to the contrary? Are we going to work with a friendly android Cave Johnson in early levels, only to have him become an enemy as did GlaDOS in P1?

For most of the first half of Portal 1, you are not in control the secondary portal.

The really odd thing, as mentioned by another poster, is that these portals are of different colors yet they appear to be shot into the same place on the same wall but at different times with different destinations. Note the wall panels and textures, especially at bottom-left.

No. Absolutely not. That is one portal system. Look at the god damn vine.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! l;dvi;ghjfja805u 0wQTJOWEFJSFJa fvuckcing ya!!!!! im so ****ING HYPED!!!!!!!! ahhahahh!!

Our 12-page cover story

WHA-! Just for portal 2 alone?

I do find the cover art amusing though, having one portal at the back and at the front of the cover

****kkkk yeah gunna buy this game informer just for my nerd collection.

I still hope there is a single-player option without a partner as well. I don't want it to be like L4D campaigns...

But yeah... ***k YES!!!!

I still hope there is a single-player option without a partner as well. I don't want it to be like L4D campaigns...

But yeah... ***k YES!!!!

It says that there are single and co-op modes so I'm sure you wont have to play co-op, although it might be a seperate campaign.

Man, I'd better get a friend, pronto.

Birthdayfriend.jpg

Awesome!
When is the "next holiday season"? Easter?

Christmas I'd reckon. in 2010 that is.

Also

OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG, *FANGIRL SCREAM*. *runs around the rooom saying things incoherently.*

F***ing PORTAL 2 is here.

So, yeah excited.

YAY! Valve with something new.. Maybe Episode Three? Wait what? Left 4 Dead 2? RAGE!!!
Wauw! Valve are updating one of their games with hints of a new game.. Maybe Episode Three? What? Portal 2?
RAGE!!!
WHEN WILL EPISODE THREE EVER COME!?!?

Can someone post what the Gamestop page says/said because when I look at the page there's no mention of game modes?

Coming this holiday. Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Game of the Year and draws from the award-winning formula of innovative game play, story, and music that earned the original over 70 industry accolades. Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game.

I don't see how co op is confirmed. If they mean the plural of 'player' into 'players', I read that as meaning 'everyone who plays Portal 2' rather than 'the two players of Portal 2'.

I don't see how co op is confirmed. If they mean the plural of 'player' into 'players', I read that as meaning 'everyone who plays Portal 2' rather than 'the two players of Portal 2'.

That's what I see as well so I guess they must have realized they dropped the ball and removed some info.

It's been changed. It used to say:
Coming this holiday. Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Game of the Year and draws from the award-winning formula of innovative game play, story, and music that earned the original over 70 industry accolades. Features single and multiplayer co-op modes. The single-player portion of Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game. The game’s two-player cooperative mode features its own entirely separate campaign with a unique story, test chambers, and two new player characters. This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively.

[...Game Informer's reveal that the sequel features a "two-player co-op mode [with] its own campaign [featuring] two new playable characters]

Well. Silly Gamestop.

And yeah, I hope it's not forced co op with AI or otherwise. I tend to play puzzle games alone.

Why does knowing something we already knew was going to happen make people so happy.

Hmmm $50 so this is a stand alone product yes and will be longer obviously? I gotta admit part of me expected an orange box 2.

K as much as I love this news, really what DID happen to Ep3?

Why does knowing something we already knew was going to happen make people so happy.

Naph's wife after giving birth: "Honey, it's a beautiful baby boy!"

Naph: "Yeah?"

I don't think they're developing any other titles, and so I don't believe there is going to be a Counter-Strike 2. Portal 2 might be possible, but I don't see it becoming a full game, but rather an expansion pack to Portal.

Well, it seems I stand corrected. This is great news, though. Portal was fun and had a lot of unique challenges that no other game has had, so I'm excited to see what they're going to include in this next one.

Can somebody tell me if I get any frickin cake this time? Can I get some frickin cake when I finish the frickin game?

YAY! Valve with something new.. Maybe Episode Three? Wait what? Left 4 Dead 2? RAGE!!!
Wauw! Valve are updating one of their games with hints of a new game.. Maybe Episode Three? What? Portal 2?
RAGE!!!
WHEN WILL EPISODE THREE EVER COME!?!?

Don't do this.

It's funny, the day before they released the first update, I thought to myself, "it'd be awesome if they announced Ep 3/Portal 2 for my birthday..."
I guess this really
*puts on sunglasses*
takes the cake
YEAAAAHHHH

October 26 is a day before my birthday. What now bitches?

Too bad it will probably be delayed.

Back