Portal 2 Officially Announced

Valve is apparently not done setting puzzles before their fans, as the announcement contained a series of underlined letters which spell out, in order, "drattmannh0nee". As usual, enterprising minds on the Steampowered Forums discovered that this was part of the ongoing Alternate Reality Game that Valve started with the previous Portal update.

Those personality cores thrown into the fire at the end of the last game? They’ve shut off areas of the Apature lab and made it their own

Reminds me of Bioshock where there's a person in charge of each area. Hopefully it will be just as atmospheric.

Also, from the same link:
AHA-Lambda said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

yeah I just creamed myself
I see you're quite excited.

Green portal = time portal? Or something? Not just a regular third, hopefully.

I read the article from Game Informer. Highlights:
*Platforms that fling you into the air
*Tractor Beams(Works with portals)
*Suction from tubes(Works with portals)
*Extending bridges(Works with portals)
*Two types of paint were revealed. An orange paint that causes you to slip across it, moving very fast, and a blue paint which essentially makes objects and walls bouncy. Floors, walls, and objects can be covered in this paint
*Spheres that function the same as cubes, but roll and can plugged into sockets instead of buttons
*Reflecting cubes that reflect lasers
*Co-op is played as two bipedal androids; one made out of a personality sphere and the other made out of a turret
picture.php

*Both androids have their own portal guns and can go through their partner's portals, which means two pairs of portals (Probably what the green portal is for)
*Both Co-op and Singleplayer modes play into the story and either can be played first
*Co-op is harder
*Able to find hidden music throughout the game, written by the guy who made Still Alive
*The game shows that the test chambers are more rearrangeable than they were able to show in the first.

I won't say too much about the spoilers from their demo, but Glados is more willing to allow you to slip in-between test chambers momentarily than the first.

I read the article from Game Informer. Highlights:
*Platforms that fling you into the air
*Tractor Beams(Works with portals)
*Suction from tubes(Works with portals)
*Extending bridges(Works with portals)
*Two types of paint were revealed. An orange paint that causes you to slip across it, moving very fast, and a blue paint which essentially makes objects and walls bouncy. Floors, walls, and objects can be covered in this paint
*Spheres that function the same as cubes, but roll and can plugged into sockets instead of buttons
*Reflecting cubes that reflect lasers
*Co-op is played as two bipedal androids; one made out of a personality sphere and the other made out of a turret
picture.php

*Both androids have their own portal guns and can go through their partner's portals, which means two pairs of portals (Probably what the green portal is for)
*Both Co-op and Singleplayer modes play into the story and either can be played first
*Co-op is harder
*Able to find hidden music throughout the game, written by the guy who made Still Alive
*The game shows that the test chambers are more rearrangeable than they were able to show in the first.

I won't say too much about the spoilers from their demo, but Glados is more willing to allow you to slip in-between test chambers momentarily than the first.

Awesome. Hopefully they make some blisteringly hard last levels. I kind of miss the 'almost impossible' factor that most games had at their final levels. Hopefully Valve implements that (although it looks like they will).

Oh, I forgot to mention, the article said something about the connection between Portal and Half-Life not really being explored in the game. Also, Valve doesn't want to beat a dead horse, so they're not putting in any cake.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the article said something about the connection between Portal and Half-Life not really being explored in the game.

weird? I saw that too but I also mentioned awhile ago seeing an interview (although it's probably old) in which gabe mentiones that teh would be connecting the two, and that chell will have a importat relationship with half-life characters?

shame really.

portal is better as a standalone game

Read the article and I am not sure how I feel.

The thing that bothers me the most is not the fact that it takes place hundreds of years later, but that it is about Chell being back in Aperture with GLaDOS.

In the article they mentioned a number of ways they are planning to avoid repetition, but I'm unsure.
I hope their is some explanation throughout Portal 2 as to how GLaDOS was rebuilt, and I certainly hope the story will go a bit farther than Chell trying to destroy her again.

maybe they'll team up to destroy johnson

I was working a night shift when people were trying to decode everything. Totally forgot about it all and only just read the news on this!

Can't wait, though if I'm honest, I've never even bothered to complete Portal myself, sat there and watched a friend run through all of it. Think I'll have to go back and finish it off this weekend!

Back