Portal 2 PS3 Steam Features Revealed

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
A recent press release by Valve has confirmed cross-platform play between PS3 and PC\Mac owners for Portal 2. Also revealing new features like persistent cloud-based storage of PS3 saved games, and cross platform chat.[br]

In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts. This is just too awesome.[br]

?We made a promise to gamers at E3 that Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 would be the best console version of the product,? said Gabe Newell.

?Working together with Sony we have identified a set of features we believe are very compelling to
gamers. We hope to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases.?

Portal 2 is coming this April on PC, Mac, XBox 360 and the PlayStation 3.

So unbelievably cool for me, I'm buying it on PS3 because my PC is incapable of gaming at the moment, now it appears I'll get it for free on PC too. :D

Might as well buy the PS3 version instead of the PC version now.

So if we buy on PC do we get the PS3 version for free, too? Because if not, it should significantly cheaper.

omg, this is awesome.. now i know i'll get the PS3 version :D i wanted to buy the PC version, but the fact that you get a free copy for the PC is just the fuc**** awesomeness! :D

Is there even a point in getting the PC version when you can get it for free with the PS3 version?

Is there even a point in getting the PC version when you can get it for free with the PS3 version?
I would assume the PC version will be cheaper, due to the PS3 version being Blu-ray etc. I hope so anyway, I don't have a PSN account.

Well, I'm certainly getting it for PS3 now, due to mixed social circles I was even considering buying both. This is incredibly awesome.

This is great! I was debating whether to get it for Ps3 or Pc, problem solved.

WOW!!! PS3 version bought!!

unless there's a significant difference in price between the 2 versions

Yea, in some countries the pc version might be cheaper, because we dont have euros nor dollors as our primary currency, so the ps3 version might be twice the price than on steam.

This is indeed awesome. Valve are too kind sometimes!

I'll probably still be buying the PC version anyway. It'll be at least £15 more on the PS3, and I find it hard to play FPS games with a controller.

PS3 version ordered. I wanted to try Portal 2 with Move anyways - win win!

Order cancelled. No way i'm playing Portal with a dual shock!

this is a really cool and innovative idea but i'm starting to see a couple of holes in it tbh =/

1) I'll have to wait 4 extra days to get the ps3 release after it releases on steam
2) It'll be roughly £13 extra on ps3 than steam and i'll almost exclusively play it on pc anyway
3) Do you get the pre order bonus on pc if you get the ps3 version? Could miss out on other pre order bonuses aswell (e.g. tf2 hats or something)
4) Would PS3 dlc be free anyway?
5) Can you trade in the ps3 version after getting the pc version?

1) I'll have to wait 4 extra days to get the ps3 release after it releases on steam

Get the PC version then. :p

2) It'll be roughly £13 extra on ps3 than steam and i'll almost exclusively play it on pc anyway

Get the PC version then. :p

3) Do you get the pre order bonus on pc if you get the ps3 version? Could miss out on other pre order bonuses aswell (e.g. tf2 hats or something)

Probably not. Get the PC version then. :p

4) Would PS3 dlc be free anyway?

Not sure on that one.

5) Can you trade in the ps3 version after getting the pc version?

I don't see why not, whoever buys it from the shop just wont be able to use the code that comes with the game I guess? Or do you get Portal 2 just by linking up your PSN accounts?

I was wondering myself if you can trade in the disc. I assume it's going to work by you getting a code you can enter to link your PSN ID and Steam ID and redeem the Steam copies that way. If that's the case we could see a lot of people buying it, redeeming the code and trading it back in.

Will the PS3 version be keyboard+mouse compatible?

This is something I'd like to know. I'm increasingly afraid, after the previews I've seen, that my laptop won't run Portal 2 very well. I'd prefer not to play it with a Dualshock if possible.

The price difference between the two versions is going to be at least £10 at launch (I'd reckon they'll make this a limited time offer to counteract any sales differences). That's too much to pay for a redundant third version of the game I'll also never use, but if it creates more PC gamers, it's not easy to object.

I would assume the PC version will be cheaper, due to the PS3 version being Blu-ray etc. I hope so anyway, I don't have a PSN account.

Even if it's only 50 on PC,

$60+(free)= 2 games, $60, give the ps3 version to a friend for $10, everyone wins
$50 = one game, $50

the math does not lie

for me to buy only the PC version it'll have to be at most, 30.

$60+(free)= 2 games, $60, give the ps3 version to a friend for $10, everyone wins
It's not like 'Steamplay' has meant simultaneous access to the PC and Mac versions up to now. With the Steam-like features that Valve are integrating into the PS3 version, it makes sense that they'll include similar restrictions on simultaneous use. One game, one account. At any rate, they have to be undermining the 'buy a copy, give one away' potential for second hand game resale.

It's not like 'Steamplay' has meant simultaneous access to the PC and Mac versions up to now.
Actually that is what Valve mean by Steamplay. Steamplay just means it works on Windows and Mac. You're probably getting mixed up with Steamworks.

Actually that is what Valve mean by Steamplay. Steamplay just means it works on Windows and Mac. You're probably getting mixed up with Steamworks.
'Simultaneous' as in 'Runs concurrently on two machines at the same time'.

Depends on how integrated the PS3 version will be with Steam. Fully, or just 'hey im on my ps3 sup.'

I've got no complaints if the PC version is cheaper, by a reasonable margin. PS3 is probably going to be $59 and I'd think the PC could be $39.

****ing called the cross-platform play with Steamworks on PS3. Valve is great. Very very great.

I can't see them allowing you to trade in your ps3 version after unlocking your PC one. It probably links your key to your account. I mean, you could probably find a shop who doesn't know about it, and who will take it, but I don't see it being legitimate.

I might get the game for PS3, simply for the novelty.

Don't some games nowadays come with a one-time multiplayer activation code (I'm assuming in the attempt to stop kids from buying used games)?

I imagine there could be a similar situation here. You have the ability sell-back the PS3 version to Gamestop or whoever, but the next who buys it can no longer unlock the PC version because it's, now, pre-owned and the code has been used.

'Simultaneous' as in 'Runs concurrently on two machines at the same time'.
Well that would just be silly. You're not supposed to be able to log into Steam from two different places at once.

****ing called the cross-platform play with Steamworks on PS3. Valve is great. Very very great.
Dude, they said they were working on this months ago. As in, during or just after E3. Within days of announcing there was going to be a PS3 version. They specifically said getting Portal 2 working cross platform on PC-Mac-PS3 was something they were gunning for.

Yeah well i didnt see it, and still, i called when they said steamworks was going to the ps3.

Well that would just be silly. You're not supposed to be able to log into Steam from two different places at once.
I was correcting your misinterpretation of my post... how is 'well duh' a valid response?

Brain... hurting... so much.

Yeah well i didnt see it, and still, i called when they said steamworks was going to the ps3.

Uhm, not to go all Nancy Drew on you, but you posted in that thread, see. One can't help but assume you did see it.

Uhm, not to go all Nancy Drew on you, but you posted in that thread, see. One can't help but assume you did see it.

To be fair, he implied he predicted it beforehand in that thread as well.

It will be interesting to see if the free PC/Mac version can be played simultaneously with the PS3 version. I think they also said that you could play splitscreen co-op on PS3 as well?

TF2 and L4D2 sometime perhaps?

This is awesome news. I look forward to playing with some of my friends who don't have PC's that can play modern games.:cool:

Now my real hope is that Valve will also release (or would it be re-release) Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 (perhaps as a package) for the PS3 with the same capabilities. That would be awesome, and would finally let me play with some of my close friends who just can't afford gaming PC's.

Even if they would be at a bit of a disadvantage.

Maybe we can settle once and for all this debate about what's a better device for playing a FPS--the keyboard/mouse combo or a game-pad.

... The answer is keyboard/mouse. Cross-platform compatibility just means I can finally rub that in their faces.

Back