Portal Free Again + Large CSS Update

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be no official release or announcement from Valve but once again, Portal 1 is free on Steam. The previous promotions were for a limited time only and this may be the case again so if you don't own it (even my cat has a copy) make sure you retrieve your copy now.[br]There is also quite a hefty CSS update which isn't just your standard list of bug fixes, although there are plenty of those in this update. You can see a whole list of weapon changes and amendments which look like they will have some significant impact on the game. Perhaps CSS is to become a partial testing bed for CS:GO before the actual beta begins in October, or are these changes are just essential tweaks to improve gameplay?[br]More on CS:GO next week, as HL2.net heads to Eurogamer Expo.

Apparently some people are having issues downloading it? Perhaps this is a stress test of the new download system :p

Edit: I doubt they're changing CS:S to test CS:GO, they said GO is a very different game. Wonder how the community will react (prediction: badly).

I read through the whole list and honestly, this might get me playing CS:S again. They've fixed some damn annoying bugs and a whole slew of things I just assumed would never ever be fixed. If it makes the hardcore players ragequit then I'm even more interested, because I'm pretty rusty! I think it takes a lot of stones to make so many changes but they seem really well thought out (and I'm sure are backed by extensive playtesting in the beta) and I'm looking forward to seeing how it "handles" now. Cheers, Valve!

I'm guessing this free portal thing has to do with this. Found the link in the latest valve YouTube video.

Edit: I just seen the site has an expiration date for the free copy of portal, only 5 days.

Sniper rifles now zoom faster

That is the pinnacle of why CS is such a long standing fantastic game. Learn how to key bind you MW n00bs! :LOL:

I was pretty angry that they made now 2 of 3 games for a $60 game I paid for in 2006 free. However this is going to a good cause and it's limited so I'm ok.

Scopes faster, bolts slower. Interesting exchange, handles interestingly but my KDR with the awp has actually worsened and quick-switching has become almost useless. Love most of the changes, though.

[video=youtube;5_Xdi4T8mgI]I was pretty angry that they made now 2 of 3 games for a $60 game I paid for in 2006 free. However this is going to a good cause and it's limited so I'm ok.

Yeah I mean, I would've only had to have waited five years to play those games to save myself $60.

Back