Portal happened right around when HL2 begins [SPOILERS]

i was wondering about this "easter egg"
There's an easter egg in Portal that, if fed into this website, will provide extra information. If you don't want to experience this cool discovery for yourself, check below:
In one of the wall-spaces where you find the writings and ravings of your predecessor(s?) - specifically, the one with pictures of the Companion Cube - you'll see the following login and username:

cjohnson
tier3

Using these to log into the Aperture Science website and typing 'NOTES' will give you an amusing history of Aperture Science, detailing its origins, its relationship with Black Mesa, and the nature of the Portals and GLaDOS...

I went to the aperture science site and logged in with this username/pass and it logs you in as an admin i was wondering if anyone has tried playing around with the commands after logging in under this username since it has "admin" status.

i tried the interrogate command and instead of saying "illegal attempt to initiate disciplinary action" it says "unknown employee" so maybe someone could find out an emplyee name that works

let me know what you guys think about this

Viper, there's threads about this all over this very forum, go lurk summore :D

Also... myucka... that makes an awful lot of sense. I don't necessarily think it's right, but it does make sense.

How can you say its before Black Mesa? The warehouse is abandoned which means something huge had to happen for every scientist/worker at Aperture Science to up and leave in a hurry meaning they didn't have time to take data with them, change data, unlock every test subject, etc.

At the end shes says something about that she filled the entire complex with those gases and the people worked quickly to install a "moral" unit into her so she would stop, which she probably didnt, which would explain why its abandoned.

She also says something about that theres no point of escaping because the world outside is much worse (Combine invasion anyone? 7hr war?)

We have always believed on this forum that North America would have stood up to invasion in a big way, and would have likely fought long and hard till the death, perhaps even using nukes against the Combine...

GTFO.

That is not true, and we know it. Humanity did use nukes against the Citadels, and they did nothing.

It's possible that Valve themselves haven't decided on the exact time when Portal occurs. They're probably being deliberately vague so as to leave their options open while developing the next Portal game.

I agree that it couldtake place from anywhere from the beginning of the Portal Storms until after Episode 2, even.

The Story is this.... (SPOLIERS)

1)Portal happens at least 1-2 years before HL1.
2)The even takes place NOT in Borealis but in AS's main site.
3)Chell is the MOTHER of Alyx. She works for the GMAN to judge whether the fund should go to AS or BM. GMAN. Since Chell is wife of Eli, she cannot audit BM. She when to AS instead. She when there to do the testing. (GlaDos ask her to bring her daughter)
4) Since Chell is Eli's wife. That's why Eli know Gman personally. He makes a deal with Gman and promise to do unethical testing for GMan in future. No matter what happens AS will never get the fund.
5)GlaDos upload herself (the selfawareless) onto Borealis computer.
6)After Portal. The government fund goes to BM.
7) After Portal, Chell escape, she told Eli about the danger of AS and she never trusted the computer at AS.
8) Gman, ask Eli to test the crystal, triggered HL1
9) During the 7 hr war, AS's staff see a way to redeem themselve by using the technology onboard Borealis. GlaDos on board of Borealis took over the ship and did something evil again.
10) Eli keep warning Freeman about the ship, knowing full well what lies await.

head_gabe.gif
- Don''t call us, we'll call you.

Morality got retrofitted to stop her gassing the base again.

Why is everyone assuming that Chell is a daughter of a worker in the facility when there are continual references to you being an android?

Why is everyone assuming that Chell is a daughter of a worker in the facility when there are continual references to you being an android?
N-n-n-n-n-no there aren't.

GLaDOS shifts you to the android course at one point and then plays her normal messages-for-androids.

Yyyyyyes there are since you don't get shifted anyplace. If you choose to see it that way be my guest but from my point of view we are told that we're doing one course from the live fire set. Assuming she wasn't lying then after that we're back on track, assuming she was lying then she still knows who we are and so shouldn't be confused. Plus being sentient she's surely meant to be talking to us later at least rather than firing off preset messages. So even if earlier was all a mistake she still later on refers to you as an android and threatens to delete your backup copy thus killing you.

Edit: Thinking about it, doesn't the first reference (There is such a place as andriod hell) happen even before the live fire course? I'm not saying she is or sin't an android but I can't understand why everyone seems to be ignoring the possibility.

Android hell is mentioned at the end of the live fire course.
I think it is important to note that she is mad and broken (eg "whatever you do, don't ARGLEBLARGH".
That she says she has a backup copy of your mind doesn't necessarily suggest to me that you're a robot at all. Partly because that whole line is just to set up a joke at your expense.
I don't think people are ignoring the possibility - several have remarked on thinking 'man, what if I really were a robot?' while playing that section - but I think they're justifiably dismissing it since there's no real implication of it.

1)Portal happens at least 1-2 years before HL1.
2)The even takes place NOT in Borealis but in AS's main site.
3)Chell is the MOTHER of Alyx. She works for the GMAN to judge whether the fund should go to AS or BM. GMAN. Since Chell is wife of Eli, she cannot audit BM. She when to AS instead. She when there to do the testing. (GlaDos ask her to bring her daughter)
4) Since Chell is Eli's wife. That's why Eli know Gman personally. He makes a deal with Gman and promise to do unethical testing for GMan in future. No matter what happens AS will never get the fund.
5)GlaDos upload herself (the selfawareless) onto Borealis computer.
6)After Portal. The government fund goes to BM.
7) After Portal, Chell escape, she told Eli about the danger of AS and she never trusted the computer at AS.
8) Gman, ask Eli to test the crystal, triggered HL1
9) During the 7 hr war, AS's staff see a way to redeem themselve by using the technology onboard Borealis. GlaDos on board of Borealis took over the ship and did something evil again.
10) Eli keep warning Freeman about the ship, knowing full well what lies await.

This hurts my brain and makes me feel slightly violated.

Sulk, get me to a hostpital >_.

EDIT: I apparently can't spell hospital. For reference, I almost did it again.

When you go to www.aperturescience.com and log on as anyone with any user name and the password "portal".... you can type THECAKEISALIE. It's written by someone imprisoned inside Aperture. It says "When was the last time you left the building? Has anyone left the building lately?"

Someone had to be writing this..not in stasis. Perhaps Chell's predecessor who left her all the wonderful hints? In the 'hidden' room in the Companion Cube stage, the cjohnson/tier3 password are on the wall. There is speculation as to whether Cave Johnson wrote this, or Chell is being cloned to go through different tests, but this one goes wrong for GLaDoS.

Also.... with bring your daughter to work day - that was the FIRST day GLaDoS was activated. There had to be something in between the activation and the morality core's installation - when exactly did Chell arrive at Aperture? Was she a daughter?

I certainly agree that what GLaD says cannot necessarily be taken to be true. However I don't understand why the multiple mentions of you being an andriod are being percieved as a lie and the one mention of there being a bring your kid in day is being taken as evidence that you must be someone's daughter.

If she killed anyone where are the bodies? Bodies don't completely decompose that quickly. Especially in those surroundings. There must be some kind of automated cleaning program going on. It would also explain why the test chambers are still in relatively good condition despite the fact that the entire series of bowels of the facility are completely rusted out.

The bodies were pushed into an aperture science emergency intelligence incinerator (Duh!)

One thing contradicts the "happens during HL2" theory.

The projectors. Projector bulbs have a tendency to burn out rather quickly if left on for too long, and Chell would only find broken, unworking projectors rather than those fully working.

Also, the place is too clean.

One thing contradicts the "happens during HL2" theory.

The projectors. Projector bulbs have a tendency to burn out rather quickly if left on for too long, and Chell would only find broken, unworking projectors rather than those fully working.

Also, the place is too clean.

Oh sure, Bouncing Balls of Energy = OK, Super Advanced Murderess AI = Great, but Projector Bulbs that last for decades = STFU NFW and GTFO.

It's not hard to keep a place clean if no one tries to make it dirty again. But the place was very rundown.

Bulbs burn out rather quickly in projectors, because there is not much material to burn through there. Your point?

My point is, you accept all the Sci-Fi tech but can't fathom a longer lasting projector bulb?

Maybe, just maybe, if all games were made uber-realistic they just wouldn't be any fun.

Seriously. Bulbs in projectors can't last long when left running.

And no Archie, I cannot stomach it because it ain't logical in this setup, especially since instead of a high resolution wall screen (which Aperture Labs DO posess) they used a projector.

And given the choice and the fact that bulbs in projectors don't last long, it is not far fetched to assume that the facility was emptied very recently.

I just think your reading too much into a omission by valve. They wanted to give a little background between AS and BM and the projector was a good way to do that. They probably didn't think about the life span of a silly bulb TBH.

Gabe Newell himself said that Chell will meet up with the current lineup of characters. There are some people in this lineup who weren't around during HL1.

Well to be honest, what Gabe says now and what we get a year or more from now is subject to change.

My point is, you accept all the Sci-Fi tech but can't fathom a longer lasting projector bulb?

Not possible. It's well-proven that projector bulbs have a lifespan approximating that of a gnat.

In all seriousness, maybe they use LED-based projectors instead of incandescent bulbs?

I mean, they might cost a bunch in theory (not sure if any exist, but here's a link for a really bright LED flashlight, which I imagine to have the same light output: Surefire L5)

LEDs do last forever, so I imagine if you put them as projector bulbs, it would work marvelously for years.

You can really use any light source as a projector. Don't believe me? Get some clear plastic film, write something on it or print something and shine a light through it. It really wouldn't take Aperture much to develop something that shines a long lasting light source through a projector. Hell the LED idea is perfectly acceptable.

I'm inclined to believe it takes place post-resonance and just about the Seven Hour War. GLaDOS at the end says something like 'I'm not sure whats going on out there but I'm the only one to keep them out. So It's definetly after the cascade starts to effect the whole world, which is pretty much when the portal storms start, and the war. We don't know how you got into Aperture though. Bummer.

Just thought i'd throw this out there, but those slideshow images are just to mess with people. Half the stuff in there they either composed, or did google image searches.

00000173.jpg

Theres one of the slides she shows you, found with a quick name search on google. Also some of the military stuff relates to bases in Kansas and Missouri. Personally I think they just put it there to make people go on wild goose chases for a tie-in or something.

If you want to see something really interesting, look at materials/skybox/sky_escape_01_ft.vtf

That ought to get the rumor mill flowing :)

I personally think Portal takes place sometime after the 7 hour war, quite possibly a few years even. During HL2? Dunno, I think that's stretching it. However, by the time EP3 comes around, Chell would be out for quite a long time by now. Wouldn't the Combine or Rebels try to contact Chell because she knows about Aperture?

She is the daughter of an AS employee, kept in stasis for maybe about 20 years, grown up into a woman and released from stasis.
If im not mistaken, you do NOT get older while being in stasis?

Portal could be anywere in between half life and half life 2, only time will show.

Raising the bar says that HL1 happens in 2003 IIRC. If portal happens in 2006, I would place it in the central portal storms period (long after "the first days" are over). This would place the Combine invasion around 2009-2015 IMO (if it was 2015 that would mean that the childeren were exterminated as they coulnd't grow up to adulthood in 5 years).

Is it me? or do the lights flicker quick when GlaDOS's speech messes up? (when it just garbles/goes to static) I would think that the whole losing power momentarily in a bunker would be decent evidence of portal storms. I'll play through again to confirm but I was going for the camera shy achievement and I thought I noticed this. (Could also just be me going insane....)

Back