Portal Texture Problem

Xtrenity

Reaction score
There's been a texture problem with my Portals lately. Here is what I mean:

http://www.wegame.com/view/portal-screenshot-by-xtrenity-2009-12-06-18-09-53/

If you go to the link, you shall see my portals are rounded, and the portal gun looks awkward. If you have any solutions to this, I would appreciate it. Also, here's a fully awesome no texture bug inside the Portal Gun/Portals, here:
http://mikebbetts.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/portal.jpg

I would really appreciate this. Also, if you believe this should be moved, tell a moderator.

your computer may not meet the requirements, or your settings are set too low.

You are 13, you probably aren't the person he's looking to for advice on this site. Also, that site gives a good general idea, but it isn't too horribly accurate.

Oh, and if you could post your system specs, that would be very helpful.

How would your specs help fix his problem?

i don't see any problems in the pic

Judging by those two screenshots you are playing on lower settings. Everything in your shot seems scaled down when compared to the other shot you provided, which I assume is a shot released by Valve, which is on the highest settings. It defiantly does not look like a texture problem to me.

Wow, I didn't expect multiple replies so fast. System Specs: Intel Pentium 4: 3.0 Ghz (not overclocked) ATI Radeon 9800PRO (sounds lame, right?) 1.5 GB RAM

Wow, I didn't expect multiple replies so fast. System Specs: Intel Pentium 4: 3.0 Ghz (not overclocked) ATI Radeon 9800PRO (sounds lame, right?) 1.5 GB RAM

Turn up your setting a bit.

The computer I used to play my Steam games had a P4 2.66GHz, Radeon 9200 and 1.5GB of RAM and every Orange Box game played like a charm on mostly medium.

Turn up your setting a bit.

The computer I used to play my Steam games had a P4 2.66GHz, Radeon 9200 and 1.5GB of RAM and every Orange Box game played like a charm on mostly medium.

attachment.php

My settings

Attachments

• Portal Settings.JPG
    Portal Settings.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,871
You're running those settings on a 9800 pro?

What the ****?

I refuse to believe you can get any semblance of a playable frame rate with that. Especially the AA.

You're running those settings on a 9800 pro?

What the ****?

I refuse to believe you can get any semblance of a playable frame rate with that. Especially the AA.

It is defintely playable, I beat the game 4 times with those settings, not quite of an achievement, but hey, :p Now, can you help with the Portal Texture problem?

Open up the command console and type net_graph 1

It should tell you your fps, think you could run around for a bit and tell us what your framerate is?

Great. I fixed the portal problem, direct x was too low. But the Portal GUN, that's still a problem. *bump*

i think we quit caring when we realized ur full of shit

those settings on a 9800 pro and ur getting playable framerates? i demand proof and the magic dust ur pouring over the poor overheating GPU

those settings on a 9800 pro and ur getting playable framerates? i demand proof and the magic dust ur pouring over the poor overheating GPU

No magic dust or anything, it's 100% real. I formatted my PC. How am I going to submit evidence without claims of it being false? If I add fraps, I'm NOT going to get ANY resemblence of a playable FPS like that. I'll use my cellphone for this, then.

Did you press OK or Cancel when you made those changes to the graphics settings? And why were they all lower in the first place?

I guess I'll believe you though, but I didn't notice before that you were playing on 1024x768. Eww.

wait wait wait - how does a geForce 5200 compare to his radeon9800? are they about the same?

I had to run portal with that thing at 600x400 res at lowest possible settings, and when I got the GeForce 8400, could do 1280x1024 at all medium/low or 1024/768 @ medium...

Did you press OK or Cancel when you made those changes to the graphics settings? And why were they all lower in the first place?

I guess I'll believe you though, but I didn't notice before that you were playing on 1024x768. Eww.

I turned on -autoconfig at the advanced startup options, so I can easily prove that it was real. And Yes, I did press ok.

wait wait wait - how does a geForce 5200 compare to his radeon9800? are they about the same?

I had to run portal with that thing at 600x400 res at lowest possible settings, and when I got the GeForce 8400, could do 1280x1024 at all medium/low or 1024/768 @ medium...

For some reason, it can run on INSANELY high quality, but oddly enough, it doesn't show the bloom effect.

Ok. So the Portal Thingy was fixed, due a Direct X Error. On Advanced StartUp Options, It was on DIRECT X 8! My Radeon can support 9, which gives ok graphics. But bloom.. It's not turning on.

I forgot to mention, the lag spikes were not caused by the computer, but by the camera's processing. (My cellphone, feel the cheapness.)

*bump* For a good reason. People who have this problem can have it fixed!

I can't even stand on even ground for too long in this thread, it keeps getting bumped about!

Dude, I gave you my magic dust i'm pouring over the poor overheating cpu.

I think it's the GPU not the CPU, bub.

I acknowledge your correction, Morgan. Thanks. I typoed there, sorry. Anyways, someone demanded some stupid proof of the Magic Dust (huntingbear) so here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3P9uxH4Lnk

Big problem: Bloom effect isn't turning on. This magic dust thing isn't helping. Any ideas? I'm running it on Direct X9, that fixed the problem. Or it doesn't support bloom unless it's Direct X10? But no, because that was released in 2008. ???

Bloom is probably not turning on because your card doesn't support it... That's a rather old piece of equipment, is it not?

Bloom is probably not turning on because your card doesn't support it... That's a rather old piece of equipment, is it not?

Supports Pixelshader 2.0, and on the orange box, it says ATI Radeon graphics? Odd. It can be something different. :sniper: But in reality, I don't know crap, just that my motherboard is AGP and the graphics card is AGP and supports it. I believe it was released in 2006, so it should support bloom. (but portal was released on October 10th 2007) so I really don't know what to say.

Back