Possible Soldier and Pyro changes revealed

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
This thread has popped up on the Steam forums detailing possible changes to the Soldier and to the Pyro in Team Fortress 2. The thread poster got in touch with Robin Walker concerning Pyro point scoring and the Rocket Launcher for the Soldier. The response from Robin is as follows.[br]
Hi Buzzbob.[br]Thanks for all the feedback, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the
game. We are indeed investigating Soldier changes, and one of the
changes we're trying out is focused on making Soldiers a little more
careful firing their rockets at point blank targets.[br]As for the Pyro scoring, we have a minor tweak coming down the pipe.
He's going to get a small amount of points for every enemy he ignites.
This should reward you for those moments where you drop into the middle
of an enemy pack and light them all up, hurting them all and disrupting
their plans, but not managing to actually kill them.[br]Robin.
Until we hear anything confirmed from Valve we should just wait and see, but following on from other recent Team Fortress 2 news I think we can put this down as probably being true.[br]Thanks to QT for the tip.

As for the Pyro scoring,
we have a minor tweak coming down the pipe.
He's going to get a small amount of points for every enemy he ignites.
This should reward you for those moments where you drop into the middle
of an enemy pack and light them all up, hurting them all and disrupting
their plans, but not managing to actually kill them.

I think this is a great tweak.
The situation he describes is common when playing as a Pyro,
and you can really stir shit up like that,
but if there's a source of health nearby you're probably not going to get a lot of kills.

This is great news! :D

Indeed. Both ideas I greatly appreciate. The former because I don't play as soldier :p

And the second, because like so many other things, you don't get enough credit. You get more credit than most games when it comes to points, such as assists, more assists, capture assists, headshots, backstabs, assists, and the like, but I guess it's made me greedy. I'm constantly annoyed for taking an enemy down to his last health, dying and not getting any points. Even if he's then killed! Or getting the intelligence, rescuing it from the clutches of the enemy base, past the more viscious defenses, or even almost all the way to the base! Alas, I die... no points.

tl;dr: more points is good :D

Love the Pyro news. I play pyro quite allot, a few points for being an arsonist seems fair.

Cant speak for the soldier, but if it makes him just a smidget easier to fight, I'll personally not find it offensive.

I swear to God I saw "leaked" in the title a few minutes ago.

But other than that, great!

What more do Soldiers have to be more careful about firing at point-blank targets? A lot of times when I or others that I have played against shoot rockets at point-blank result in self-damage or even suicide.

What more do Soldiers have to be more careful about firing at point-blank targets? A lot of times when I or others that I have played against shoot rockets at point-blank result in self-damage or even suicide.

The problem is that a soldier can point-blank a pyro and walk away from it. Pyro gets his clock cleaned even though he's supposed to be better at that range.

The problem is that a soldier can point-blank a pyro and walk away from it. Pyro gets his clock cleaned even though he's supposed to be better at that range.

Well said.

I think they're basically increasing damage recieved by rockets at that range. And pyros might have more resistance to rockets, or something similar.

Even though I play as Soldier alot, the changes to point-blank self-damage are a good idea, because it makes the soldier a bit harder to play. Gotta get used to get out my shotgun though.

Drives me nuts when a soldier fires a rocket straight at the ground in front of him, gibbing me to hell, and then doesn't die. Glad they're adding this.

Pyro news sounds really cool.
Soldier one sounds scary!

I don't wanna sound negative. But I play pyro quite a lot and to me it seems like this would make him a bit out of balance in the score department as it seems alot of people use the run in and flame the shit out of everything tactic.

I don't wanna sound negative. But I play pyro quite a lot and to me it seems like this would make him a bit out of balance in the score department as it seems alot of people use the run in and flame the shit out of everything tactic.

If you weren't paying attention that doesn't kill as often as it might be liked, and actually therefor makes Pyro's a little weaker in the points department, compared to the other spam classes that can rake points in.

Sounds great and all, but I hope they buff the pyro's flames as well.

Pyro's flames are fine where they are. We don't want to make them invincible.

So no more rocket jumping? ;_;
I'm guessing they'll do a sort of "damage reflecting" thing - shooting a rocket at the ground when there's nobody nearby will do the normal light damage, but shooting a rocket at someone's feet will make some of the damage they take reflect back to you as well.

As they are pyro's are more than fine. If you drop into a group of 5 or more and light them up you do quite often die before you can get in enough damage for a kill especially if there's a medic in the group so points for lighting up large groups of enemies will be welcome!

Both changes sound good to me, and I play both classes extensively (although I think they Pyro is more fun to play).

I'm interested in how the rocket jumps will come out. For instance, what if you rocket jump somewhere but an enemy happens to get splash dmg from it, are you just SOL? Time will tell.

Pyro news = good.

Soldier news = possibly bad. I'll echo what other people are saying about splash damage for rocket jumps; if they're increasing the damage, that's going to seriously screw with rjump maps. If it's just a damage increase when enemies are nearby...eh, I still don't like it. I find their damage to be perfect. This comes off as one of those nerf changes because people whine about how tough soldiers supposedly are.

I highly doubt the change will be that significant. Besides, we're just speculating, they could do anything to them. I think it's merely the point-blank range rockets they're talking about. Rocket Jumps aren't entirely point blank.

*shrugs* just have to wait until it comes out. It might not be a direct affect to the soldier class itself. It might be the other classes do more damage at point blank range.

Oh, and if they're doing point damage for Pyro, it might be wise to include it for other classes. Heavy has similar problems.

the pyro change won't actually affect the way Pyros play, so I don't really see the point of it.

It rewards them with points for a job well done. Numerous times I've jumped into a group of incoming enemies as a pyro and lit them all up. Practically every time, they disband or retreat, but don't usually get killed.

They should implement the return to castle wolfenstein flamethrower

Best flamethrower EVER, amirite?!

At last! I'll start to actually be good at pyro.

It's my third most played class, but I only get less points as spy.

As for the soldier, well, I never figured out how to rocket jump properly, so I'm not complaining.

Back