Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro graphics problem

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
hey all. just got my new powercolor radeon 9800 pro 128mb. plugged it in, extra power supply etc, but playing games like thief3, sometimes the lighting is wierd. i get wierd lighting on trees where there shouldnt be lighting, and shadows on the ground move around as i move...if that makes any sense.

i uninstalled all the drivers for m fx5600, and have installed the latest catalyst drivers from ati.com. anyone have any ideas??? my psu is 400 so that aint a problem. only thing i can think of is the power connections, but that cant be the problem as i followed the instructions to the dot. btw, getting the RADEON family drivers was correct right?? ive never got drivers from ati b4 so i didnt really know, i just tool a guess (they have like 'RAGE 128 PRO family' etc.)

i also get blue strips running down the screen when doing benchmarks, but they either go away after a couple of seconds, or stay there for the rest of the benchmark. ive tried using the adapter, but that hast helped. im really pissed off as i dont know what the problem could be.

thankx for any help u can give me.

It could be that the 9800 Pro has some problems with that game. You should check the Thief 3 site to see if there are any known problems for certain cards. If its a problem with your machine you could always try reformating :p.

kk thanks. i was getting worried lol. just realised the arpiture size in the bios was 64mb instead of 128mb lol. changed that and it is absolutely fine now.

thanks for the help guys.

Reduce your signature to four lines please, Pureball.

hmm ok actually that wasnt the problem, i still have the problem. grrr!. i keep getting blue stripes down the screen after 30 seconds or so on farcry, and sometimes in windows aswell. in windows it goes after a while, but stays when playing games!

anyone got any ideas??? plz im so frustrated!!

Overheating?

Is your machine well ventilated - try running with the side off for a while to see if that does the trick.

Otherwise it will likely be either a faulty board or driver issues IMO

It sounds like a rendering problem and not an artifacts problem, all I can suggest is either formatting or installing a fresh DX9.0b/c and the latest catalysts, if the latter doesn't work, format first. If that doesn't work, I honestly don't know.

lol i have got 2 fans on the back, but i fail to see how that will affect it, as it only does it randomly atm. just about to reinstall drivers and dx9.0b, hope this works lol...

rofl. tried the dx9 reinstall and reinstalled the drivers, played games with the side panel removed. everything was 100% perfect. put the side panel back on, problems started again, but not as much as before. i basically need a cooling system...big time.

Q: is running the comp and playing games with the side panel off ok until i get a cooling system (like in a week or so). if not then ill have to play less demanding games such as CS on the net :)

You should be alright for a week, the only downside is that dust will get into your system.

The powercolor cards (amongst others) don't have great cooling.

Back