Warped

Reaction score
090821-a14-evatrack-02.jpg

New Moon Photo Reveals Tracks from Tough Apollo Moonwalk
By Tariq Malik
Managing Editor
posted: 21 August 2009
06:20 pm ET

A new snapshot from NASA's newest moon probe has revealed the 38-year-old tracks leftover from a grueling moonwalk by two Apollo astronauts who tried, and failed, to reach a tantalizing crater.

The photograph was taken by a camera on NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) and shows the terrain surrounding the landing site of Apollo 14 astronauts Alan Shepard and Edgar Mitchell, who touched down on the moon Feb. 5, 1971 in their Antares lander. It was released Wednesday and confirmed that the astronauts came just 100 feet (30 meters) from the rim of their target, Cone Crater, before they turned back, LRO researchers said.

At first glance, the image appears to depict a stark lunar surface devoid of any evidence that humans were there. But a closer inspection can reveal the glints of the Antares lander and a nearby experiment deployed by the astronauts, which appear at the lower left of the snapshot. The tracks from the boot prints of Shepard and Mitchell appear as wispy, winding lines that are a slightly darker shade of gray from the surrounding terrain.

The region of the moon explored by Shepard and Mitchell on the Apollo 14 mission is a rocky, hilly area known as the Fra Mauro highlands. The mission was the third of six Apollo moon landings between 1969 and 1972.

LRO has beamed home an earlier view of the Apollo 14 landing site, as well as snapshots of Tranquility Base, the first manned landing site visited by Apollo 11 astronauts on July 20, 1969. Researchers overseeing the probe's main camera, called LROC, from Arizona State University released the new images.

The hunt for Cone Crater

On Feb. 6, 1971, during the second moonwalk of their 33-hour stay on the lunar surface, Shepard and Mitchell tried to reach the distant Cone Crater in order to peer down at its bottom. The crater was nearly a mile (1.4 km) away from Antares - placing the lander out of sight for the moonwalkers - and the journey was exhausting since it was almost entirely uphill.

To make matters worse, Shepard and Mitchell had trouble walking uphill in the soft lunar surface and their map of the terrain left much to be desired.

"Another problem was that the ruggedness and unevenness of the terrain made it very hard to navigate by landmarks, which is the way a man on foot gets around," wrote Shepard, who died in 1998, in an account of the mission for NASA's History Office a few years after the mission. "Ed and I had difficulty in agreeing on the way to Cone, just how far we had traveled, and where we were."

It was sometimes easier, Shepard wrote, to carry an equipment cart that was supposed to ease their burden during moonwalks because dragging it as designed was just too tough.

"And then came what had to be one of the most frustrating experiences on the traverse. We thought we were nearing the rim of Cone, only to find we were at another and much smaller crater still some distance from Cone," he wrote in the NASA account. "At that point, I radioed Houston that our positions were doubtful, and that there was probably quite a way to go yet to reach Cone."

In the new LRO image, one landmark dubbed Saddle Rock that was photographed by Shepard and Mitchell can be easily spotted, showing how close the astronauts actually were to their lunar quarry.

Shepard, one of NASA's original seven Mercury astronauts, and Mitchell ended their second moonwalk on a light note despite their frustration trying to reach Cone Crater. Shepard attached a six-iron golf club to the end of a collecting tool to become the first person to golf on the moon.

While Shepard and Mitchell worked on the lunar surface, their crewmate Stuart Roosa orbited the moon in their command module. They left the moon on Feb. 6, 1971 and returned to Earth three days later.

The $504 million LRO spacecraft, meanwhile, is part of NASA's first wave of new missions to explore the moon. The orbiter launched June 18 on a year-long mission to map the moon, study its surface composition and search for hidden water ice tucked away in the permanent shadows of craters at the lunar poles.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090821-lro-apollo14-moonwalk.html

now hopefully all those moon conspiracy nut jobs can go find something else to discredit! I think this is truly fascinating it took this long to find

here is the ultra hi res shot too: http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/?archives/91-Trail-of-Discovery-at-Fra-Mauro.html

M104634241LE_annotated.serendipityThumb.png

Annotated figure showing the positions of various landmarks surrounding the Apollo 14 landing site. The small white arrows highlight locations where the astronauts' path can be clearly seen [NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University]

Clearly created by lasers from a satellite.

GOVERNMENT COVERUPS ARE NOT IN MY JOB DESCRIPTION.

Wait, why is there an N on that map? There's a north on the moon? The moon has poles??

I don't see how this is proof. Photos can be edited.

Wait, why is there an N on that map? There's a north on the moon? The moon has poles??
It rotates on an axis.

Actually I'm not sure about poles. I'm pretty sure it's top always corresponds with our north pole.

WHY CAN'T YOU WIKI THIS FOR YOURSELF hwkrahwjrka

Urgh. What proof is there that those footprints were left there by the "astronauts" and not by the moon people.

What proof is there that those "prints" actually mean anything?

The evidences in this photo is about as clear and plausible as a person who believes they can see a sign from God in their food.

Still, despite this "proof", I do believe man walked on the moon. Unfortunately, walking on the moon will not help us discover enough of this world and it's chemistry to move on and survive on another planet once Earth is used up. Well at least I'll be dead by then.

Unfortunately, walking on the moon will not help us discover enough of this world and it's chemistry to move on and survive on another planet once Earth is used up.

How doesn't it help? It's a first step, no pun intended. Just because we can't yet see where space travel will take us technologically and scientifically, doesn't mean it's useless and nothing will ever help the chances of us being able to do that in the future.

That's like saying inventing gunpowder did not help give us modern automatic assault rifles. It was a first step.

How doesn't it help? It's a first step, no pun intended. Just because we can't yet see where space travel will take us technologically and scientifically, doesn't mean it's useless and nothing will ever help the chances of us being able to do that in the future.

That's like saying inventing gunpowder did not help give us modern automatic assault rifles. It was a first step.

I guess.

It is indeed a huge first step, and marked a discovery for mankind, since we developed a better understanding of other planets, but unfortunately this first step is just way too far away from even the second step of planet colonization to be significant. We know so little outside of Earth, and we are no longer inside a controlled environment once we're outside of Earth. There is still colonization, terraforming, faster/further space travel and tons of other factors to worry about.

Still you're right, it's a first step. A very big small step if that makes any sense. Though I can't say I won't be surprised if we actually do follow a similar timeline as the one in "Mass Effect". We might actually find something that will jump our technology forward millions of years.

Why did I think this thread was about some horribly dull superhero called Proof Man being on the moon?

I am disappoint. :(

Did you know we have 2 remote controlled Mars rovers, named Spirit and Opportunity, launched in 2003 that were expected to last a few months, but are still operational to this day?

Science instruments: Panoramic cameras, miniature thermal emission spectrometer, Mössbauer spectrometer, alpha particle X-ray spectrometer, microscopic imager, rock abrasion tool, magnet arrays

Victoria Crater, satellite photo:
This view is a cutout from a HiRISE exposure taken on July 18, 2009. Some of Opportunity's tracks are still visible to the north of the crater (left side of this cutout).
Victoria-oblique-22.jpg
Earlier HiRISE images of Victoria Crater supported the exploration of this crater by NASA's Opportunity roverand contributed to joint scientific studies. Opportunity explored the rim and interior of this 800-meter-wide (half-mile-wide) crater from September 2006 through August 2008. The rover's on-site investigations indicated that the bright band near the top of the crater wall was formed by diagenesis (chemical and physical changes in sediments after deposition). The bright band separates bedrock from the material displaced by the impact that dug the crater.

The Mars Program is just one of many of our space programs.

New, revealing photo, of what are now being called 'Sandpeople'
1-1.jpg

Clearly an aggressive and hostile breed of bipeds with signs of intelligent alien technology and primitive, yet effective weaponry.

All this photo proves is that aliens made tracks on the moon to cover up the governments lies. THE GOVERNMENT IS FRIENDS WITH ALIENS!!!

great! proof that the US did waste billions of dollars on something utterly pointless.

And buying video games is the most important thing you should do with your money?

Please thats not even on the same scale, and i dont think ive even bought a game in the last six months. I dont have my own income and even if i did im fully provided for, besides im not a government thats sole priority is the welfare of its people and not take part a dick waving contest between two superpowers.

You're serious? I thought you were being cynical. You're truly simple.

You're serious? You're truly simple.

and proud.

so instead of giving one decent arguement in favour of the space program you choose to insult me. nice! Listen all im saying is the money oculd have gone to much better use, yes it was a fantastic achievement im not denying that. I just find it pointless.

and proud.

so instead of giving one decent arguement in favour of the space program you choose to insult me. nice! Listen all im saying is the money oculd have gone to much better use, yes it was a fantastic achievement im not denying that. I just find it pointless.
Because you seem so settled on your opinion, why waste my time trying to change it? And if you consider it an insult then why are you proud of it? ;p

The Apollo program, specifically the lunar landings, is often cited as the greatest technological achievement in human history. Therefore, it wasn't pointless.

Do you think building the pyramids was pointless for the ancient Egyptians? How about the Roman Coliseum?

Surely that money and manpower could have gone to something more important. Be realistic, if the effort wasn't put there, it would have been put towards war. And Americans at the time wanted to go, they elected Kennedy on the promise of it. Their tax dollars.

The program spurred advances in many areas of technology peripheral to rocketry and manned spaceflight. These include major contributions in the fields of avionics, telecommunications, and computers. The program sparked interest in many fields of engineering and left many physical facilities and machines developed for the program as landmarks.

The Apollo program stimulated many areas of technology. The flight computer design used in both the lunar and command modules was, along with the Minuteman Missile System, the driving force behind early research into integrated circuits. The fuel cell developed for this program was the first practical fuel cell. Computer-controlled machining (CNC) was pioneered in fabricating Apollo structural components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuits
200px-153056995_5ef8b01016_o.jpg

Missile Defense advancements

Satellite and telecommunication advancements
gps_satellite_nasa_art-iif.jpg

Not to mention the Skylab space station, and the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (July 1975).

(The Apollo-Soyuz Test Project involved a docking in Earth orbit between a CSM and a Soviet Soyuz spacecraft.)

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too...Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.
- John F. Kennedy 1961

Im sorry i should have been specific, i only meant the act of going to the moon itself. Of course there were many other great achievements, i stand corrected. Its just the motives behind it and the circumstances that sometimes piss me off. I dont agree completely because there was always the potential to fund other research into other subjects but like you say i suppose as a people the americans wanted to go and very true about the war thing. I guess my gripe is with the human "because its there thing" not just the space program specifically and i sometimes think that our obsession with the stars is nothing but a hinderence and we perhaps should think about the planet we live on and its problems instead.

I totally agree that our planet is of utmost importance, and when people talk about colonizing other planets, sometimes I get really ....I've got no word for it. It's just a DeeDeeDee moment I think they are having.

But it is important, and colonizing other planets is achievable, and will be necessary eventually. Our planet may no longer be enough. It could be hundreds of thousands if not millions or even billions of years from now before we absolutely need to leave though, which is pretty much impossible to comprehend for us. With only a few thousand years of written history, it's mind boggling.

But there have been already two mass extinction events due to impacts from foreign bodies with Earth. The first one wiped out nearly every living thing on earth. The impact was equivalent to 100 Hiroshima type bombs going off every day for 100 years. Simply incomprehensible power. When you take - essentially an enormous rock - 7 miles in diameter, and smash it into the Earth at about 2000 miles per hour - well, it's not pretty.

I won't even go into super massive black holes, the collision of galaxies (of which we are part of currently) the death of stars, super novas, etc.

Inevitability, there will be more impacts in the future. The space programs have a chance at thwarting such an event. At the very least we might have colonies on other bodies to fall back on by then.

But going to the moon, well we brought back moon rocks which - believe it or not - gave us a great deal of knowledge.

Oh i have no doubts that if we had the time we would do it, but i just think we dont. I think that we will wipe ourselves out or be wiped out as a race before that happens.

Yeah, but you can't think like that, in my opinion.

I might have done a lot better in life with more achievements and greater success if - when I was a child - I wasn't so convinced I'd be dead by 20.

It's an attitude that lends itself to self destruction. Becoming a smoker, drinker, sleeping around carelessly, not caring about school.

To sum up: Giving up before you try.

i suppose yeah, i like to think of myself as an optimist no matter how many things i do and think to convince me otherwise. Can never rule anything out.

I won't even go into super massive black holes, the collision of galaxies (of which we are part of currently) the death of stars, super novas, etc.

The density of space is extremely low, so the chance that we're affected by any of those things is very low. But it's certainly possible, and if it happens, there's very little we can do about it.

Greater threats, as it is now, are wars and pandemics.

They's not footprints, look more like tracks to me, only one explanation: space slugs.

Back