PS3 Still On Track for Spring 2006 Release

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
In conjuntion with the information released in next monts Playstation Magazine about Sony's PS3, a sort of press release from Sony has been released stating that they are looking good for a Spring 2006 console launch.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) on Thursday said it remained on track to roll out its PlayStation 3 game console by spring 2006 despite industry speculation that the scheduled launch could face delays.
The timing of the release of Sony's updated PlayStation console has become a matter of speculation in the $25 billion video game industry and among the studios, hardware makers and other companies looking to handicap the battle over next-generation DVD technology.
A spokesman for Sony, the No. 1 provider of game consoles, said it was still targeting a spring 2006 launch for the PS3, which is key to maintaining its lead in the game console market against Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research), which recently launched its competing Xbox 360 console.

More on this can be found here.

Awesome. I was frightened when the rumor said Fall 2006/Spring 2007.

DreadLord1337 said:
We care here in General Off-Topic!! Really we do! with 1337 posts

Yeah! You rock!:devil:

Anyhoo, I don't think I'm going to get any of the consoles. I'll just keep upgrading my PC with more money than anyone possibly should, and stick with that.

Heh:

General Games Chat (28 Viewing)
Discuss non-HL2 games.

Since when is the PS3 a game?

Greatgat said:
Yeah! You rock!:devil:

Anyhoo, I don't think I'm going to get any of the consoles. I'll just keep upgrading my PC with more money than anyone possibly should, and stick with that.
That's the silly way to do it. Launch-day campout for the win(and by win i mena money) Me and my friend don't plan on keeping a ps3, but we're each gonna buy one, ebay em off, and split the profit :) (same with Revolution, but i'm probably gonna keep one of those)

Computer5k said:
That's the silly way to do it. Launch-day campout for the win(and by win i mena money) Me and my friend don't plan on keeping a ps3, but we're each gonna buy one, ebay em off, and split the profit :) (same with Revolution, but i'm probably gonna keep one of those)
Your avatar! MY BROTHA! ITS PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! AHHHHH!:cheers:

Er anhow, seeing as there have been problems with the 360 thats one less thing to worry about me spending my money on and having it just take a shit a day later. Not that the PS3 won't have its own share of problems which is highly likely, like most launch systems. So, I keep forgetting: What months are in the season of Spring?

I'd say March-May, really. I don't entirely believe this, though, as for saying it should launch about April time (guess) we've had no playable content at all yet, and simply a load of CGI trailers. Oh well, I doubt anywhere that isn't Japan will see a PS3 until summer or winter, to be honest.

If you want the full launch list (not final) here it is and looks awesome!! The X360 is dead after this comes out!!

6Gun 2 - BattleBorne Entertainment
Avalon - Climax Studios
Dark Sector - Digital Extreme
The Darkness - Starbreeze Studios
Devil May Cry 4 - Capcom
EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 - EA Chicago
Eyedentify - TBA
Fifth Phantom Saga - Sonic Team
Final Fantasy PS3 - Square Enix
Formula One PS3 - SCE Studios Liverpool
The Getaway PS3 - SCE Studios Soho
Heavenly Sword - Ninja Theory
I-8 - Insomniac Games
Infraworld - Quantic Dream
Killing Day - TBA
Killzone PS3 - Guerilla Games
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Kojima Productions
Mobile Suit Gundam - TBA
MotorStorm - Evolution Studios
Ni-Oh - KOEI
Omikron 2 - Quantic Dream
Possession - Blitz Games
Project Delta - Playlogic International
ShadowClan - Tiger Hill Entertainment
Tekken PS3 - Namco
Vision GT - Polyphony Digital
Warhawk PS3 - Incognito Entertainment

Most of ^those^ games probably won't make launch, but who cares??? With a list of titles that amazing, I can't imagine anyone getting a 360 first unless they plan to get both of course. This list looks better than anything that has been announced for the 360 so far (Gears of War alone won't do it for me and I'm getting Oblivion for the PC), so I personally cannot wait for the PS3, even if it does come to the US next Fall or Winter. :)

I'd say March-May, really. I don't entirely believe this, though, as for saying it should launch about April time (guess) we've had no playable content at all yet, and simply a load of CGI trailers. Oh well, I doubt anywhere that isn't Japan will see a PS3 until summer or winter, to be honest.
Only CGI trailers? I count Tech-Demos as playable as you can minipulate them in Real-Time. Lets also not forget about UT2007. But do not forget about the water demo. Amazing demo it was.

Minerel said:
Only CGI trailers? I count Tech-Demos as playable as you can minipulate them in Real-Time. Lets also not forget about UT2007. But do not forget about the water demo. Amazing demo it was.

Water is overrated..people should start focusing on gameplay rather than water.

dream431ca said:
If you want the full launch list (not final) here it is and looks awesome!! The X360 is dead after this comes out!!

6Gun 2 - BattleBorne Entertainment
Avalon - Climax Studios
Dark Sector - Digital Extreme
The Darkness - Starbreeze Studios
Devil May Cry 4 - Capcom
EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 - EA Chicago
Eyedentify - TBA
Fifth Phantom Saga - Sonic Team
Final Fantasy PS3 - Square Enix
Formula One PS3 - SCE Studios Liverpool
The Getaway PS3 - SCE Studios Soho
Heavenly Sword - Ninja Theory
I-8 - Insomniac Games
Infraworld - Quantic Dream
Killing Day - TBA
Killzone PS3 - Guerilla Games
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Kojima Productions
Mobile Suit Gundam - TBA
MotorStorm - Evolution Studios
Ni-Oh - KOEI
Omikron 2 - Quantic Dream
Possession - Blitz Games
Project Delta - Playlogic International
ShadowClan - Tiger Hill Entertainment
Tekken PS3 - Namco
Vision GT - Polyphony Digital
Warhawk PS3 - Incognito Entertainment

Those bold titles are games I DEFINITELY want to get and the last one, Warhawk I'm really interested in. This lineup is much more promising than Xbox 360 even if they don't all make launch.

Damn, I'm gonna have to get one of these badboys sometime in the summer or after the first price drop.

I'm fairly certain Final Fantasy is appearing on the 360. Of the others, only DMC 4 and MGS 4 interest me. Killzone 2 may turn out ok, but untill a little closer to release it'll remain the sequal to a painfully average shooter. So, that's 2 promising looking games.

I still haven't seen anything that makes me regret buying a 360, or that looks more exciting than PSZ in co-op.

It's not a case of console vs. console for me, as i'll be buying them all eventually, it's whether there's enough at launch to justify buying a PS3 straight away.

VictimOfScience said:
Most of ^those^ games probably won't make launch, but who cares??? With a list of titles that amazing, I can't imagine anyone getting a 360 first unless they plan to get both of course. This list looks better than anything that has been announced for the 360 so far (Gears of War alone won't do it for me and I'm getting Oblivion for the PC), so I personally cannot wait for the PS3, even if it does come to the US next Fall or Winter. :)

Yeah, it looks better when you show CGI footage that's not representative of any actual game.

You ****ing sheep.

Minerel said:

Where's the game.

I could probably create the most elaborate physics puzzle tech demo in Source, but it becomes an entirely different issue when you try to wrap a game around it. Dedicating all your resources to singular demonstrations shows NOTHING, and you are a sheep for buying into it. A trendy little sheep who has been suckered in by Sony's brand of bullshit.

You people are double-standard shits. It's apparently brainless to preorder a 360, but it's okey-okey and god damn awesometastic to preorder a PS3. Why? "OMG THSE TITELS LOOK SWEET MANG" and "OMG TAHT WATR DEMO WAS KEWLIES". Just shut the **** up and spare my eyes from your putrid bile henceforth.

Absinthe said:
Yeah, it looks better when you show CGI footage that's not representative of any actual game.

You ****ing sheep.

I couldn't care less about the graphics as long as they're a good improvement on PS2.

The actual games that are coming out impress me more than Xbox 360's lineup does and THAT's what matters to me.

Right now there's only 2 games I know of for Xbox 360 that I would ever even WANT to play (PD0 and Halo 3 whenever it comes out).

I never said a single thing about "games". The only thing I stated was that they released more than CGI demos.
Don't get on my back, I'm right. I never said they showed any games. I'm not a Playstation fan and I wont be getting a Playstation 3. I'm just saying, they did show more than CGI. Which is correct.

Minerel said:
I never said a single thing about "games". The only thing I stated was that they released more than CGI demos.
Don't get on my back, I'm right. I never said they showed any games. I'm not a Playstation fan and I wont be getting a Playstation 3. I'm just saying, they did show more than CGI. Which is correct.

Which is also a totally MEANINGLESS distinction. Congratulations on your trivial and utterly dispensible correctness.

Ummmm, wheres some solid info on a PS3 Final Fantasy? Let alone it being at launch, since FF12 is comming out around there (and it's not a PS3 game).

I can honestly say I wouldn't buy any of them. Maybe Final Fantasy, but that series seems to have turned Massively Online instead of the story-driven single player it ought to be.

Which is also a totally MEANINGLESS distinction. Congratulations on your trivial and utterly dispensible correctness.
Wheres my god damn cookie!

jonbob said:
I can honestly say I wouldn't buy any of them. Maybe Final Fantasy, but that series seems to have turned Massively Online instead of the story-driven single player it ought to be.

Just FFXI was an MMO. FFXII is going back to singleplayer, story driven style. I played the demo and it's a lot of fun.

get the 360 as most games are backwards compatible. That way you can get the great games...well morrowind being the best of all console games. That alone is worth it. There are tons of other games...but next to morrowind they don't need menton. Well...that's not ture KOTOR1 and 2 rocks as well.

Glirk Dient said:
get the 360 as most games are backwards compatible. That way you can get the great games...well morrowind being the best of all console games. That alone is worth it. There are tons of other games...but next to morrowind they don't need menton. Well...that's not ture KOTOR1 and 2 rocks as well.
Every Playstation so far has been backwards compatable...
Besides, half of the good games on X-Box you can play on PC.

Its all smoke and mirrors.
Exactly. Sony sells hype.

You guys are buying something you don't even know what it is yet.

Its sad that people can be that brainwashed by catchy commercials that are the highlight of Sony's crappy motion picture department people's careers. :hmph:
Originally Posted by jonbob
I can honestly say I wouldn't buy any of them. Maybe Final Fantasy.
Exactly. Oh and don't forget FFXI is due for 360 very soon, so its not like 360 won't get a future versions of the series.
It's not a case of console vs. console for me, as i'll be buying them all eventually, it's whether there's enough at launch to justify buying a PS3 straight away.
sure, like i said, i'd buy one too if it was $150 dollars and had a good library of games available that don't cost a fortune. But the fact is that it will be the most expensive system ever. For its entire hot life-span of 5 years - and thats milking it, considering someone said the other day that the 360 is already aging hardware. LOL please, by the time you play your PS3 you will be like," damn. :( This really isn't that good. :dozey:

They are going to try and make you think its a good deal becuase it plays High defenition movies. uh my 5 DVD players can play High def. movies. NO DIFFERENCE WHAT-SO-EVER. The difference is, your PS3 costs a fortune in every area, only to keep you from having to place disc 2 in the drive once in a while. For bonus content like the making of the movie, etc.

Hell if thats a big deal, then that is countered by the fact that the 360 has a power on/off on the wireless controller, making up for that trip to put disc 2 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusType2
When playing the latest game would you rather have the best graphics possible or good graphics. that should be your deciding factor between 360 and any other game console.

If graphics are the deciding factor for you, then go play tech demos.
Since the graphics are the glaring advantage of the 360, where the gameplay is on the same level or better than the other consoles available. I think it's pretty obvious what I ment.

Playing Racing game #3 in high rez over Racing game #2 in low res is the main difference in the new consoles. Its a given that the game will be better if not equal in gameplay.

And you are one to talk saying I should play tech demos when you are the one supporting Sony, which is all they have got!

The fact that you put me in your signature just shows a glaring hatred for me that stems from the fact that you are an idiot that would sig a statement like that. But its flattering. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfScience
Most of ^those^ games probably won't make launch, but who cares??? With a list of titles that amazing, I can't imagine anyone getting a 360 first unless they plan to get both of course. This list looks better than anything that has been announced for the 360 so far (Gears of War alone won't do it for me and I'm getting Oblivion for the PC), so I personally cannot wait for the PS3, even if it does come to the US next Fall or Winter.

You can't imagine anyone getting a 360 first? To me its the best option out of all them. It has the ultimate in online capability. ( i can't wait to play in the arcade) On par with the playstation 3 in terms of graphics. its going to have many more games and exclusive titles. (sony puts out a handful of Sony made games the entire lifetime of their system)

Plus, I don't really like games like metal gear. I'd rather play a system that is supported by ID, Valve, and Microsoft, and software companies not likely to touch the PS3. And not just becuase its hard as shit to program for.

And this time around with the 360 having the jump, it will be the sweet games like Grand Theft auto that come to the 360 first, and the PS3 *might* get a release later.

Then I get games from Sega, Capcom, and others as well. The PS3 is an overfeatured HD movie player trojan horse in disguise. Kind of ironic ay sony? What with your trojan horse Music Cd's no longer available?

And what makes you say this "list" looks better than anything on the 360 so far. OMFG .. just like the system. these "games on a list" are nothing but words on a page. You won't be playing them for a long ****ing time even if you do decide to jump on the PS3 bandwagon putting on your blindfold and jumping off a bridge.

quote: "A list of titles that amazing"

I laugh at you. While games are a matter of preference, Have you even seen or heard anything other than the names listed there aside from the sony titles?
After all the comments you made about people waiting instead of getting a 360 becuase they haven't show anything yet, and you would say, quote" I personally cannot wait for the PS3, even if it does come to the US next Fall or Winter. "
When PS3 has shown nothing but text on a webpage, and hardly that even.

At least you would be smart enough not to say anything about better graphics, considering you still tout your PS2 like it was born of your own flesh and blood, as having graphics preferable to the 360
You ****ing sheep.
LOL. I would say more like the blind leading the blind.

I'm fairly certain Final Fantasy is appearing on the 360. Of the others, only DMC 4 and MGS 4 interest me. Killzone 2 may turn out ok, but untill a little closer to release it'll remain the sequal to a painfully average shooter. So, that's 2 promising looking games.
Exactly. 3 games worth looking at screenshots of. Release TBA. Other than that they are nothing but what is expected. A couple of good games to play. Every system has a couple of good games to play at release. The fact is the 360 has that many games by Jan. 1 ready to play, while those are just a list of games that they just started working on with the exception of the Sony made games.
I still haven't seen anything that makes me regret buying a 360, or that looks more exciting than PSZ in co-op.
Yea, like i said I won't be surprized if those capcom and konami games are coming to 360 also. So in the end all's you've got is Sony handful of games and Poor quality exclusive titles that Sony isn't willing to pay them to keep exclusive, or the game isn't worthy of multiple ports.

VirusType2 said:
Exactly. Sony sells hype.

You guys are buying something you don't even know what it is yet.

Its sad that people can be that brainwashed by catchy commercials that are the highlight of Sony's crappy motion picture department people's careers. :hmph:
ummm... lots of people bought X360s without really knowing anything about it, and last I checked m$ sure did put out a lot of "catchy" commercials and even used MTV to promote their system... which just seemed lame to me, because MTV is the bane of the modern world

that being said, I noticed a lot more quality games on the PS2 than on the Xbox, and until I see a good reason to not believe those quality titles will show up on the PS3 then I'm all for it

WhiteZero said:
Every Playstation so far has been backwards compatable...

You mean all one of them ;)

WhiteZero said:
Besides, half of the good games on X-Box you can play on PC.

Not true at all. The vast majority of decent Xbox games never made it to the pc. Of the few that did, most were better on the Xbox (GTA, Halo, PoP etc)

I doubt it will be any difference with the 360, or any other console.

Icarusintel said:
ummm... lots of people bought X360s without really knowing anything about it, and last I checked m$ sure did put out a lot of "catchy" commercials and even used MTV to promote their system... which just seemed lame to me, because MTV is the bane of the modern world

that being said, I noticed a lot more quality games on the PS2 than on the Xbox, and until I see a good reason to not believe those quality titles will show up on the PS3 then I'm all for it

Haha m$ thats so original! wooo your making a big statement by calling them m$! Are you 12? calling them m$ is one of the dumbest things I have seen. Grow up. They make lot's of money because they are very succesful. Get used to it.

Glirk Dient said:
Haha m$ thats so original! wooo your making a big statement by calling them m$! Are you 12? calling them m$ is one of the dumbest things I have seen. Grow up. They make lot's of money because they are very succesful. Get used to it.
People call them M$ because of the borderline-illegal (occasionally even crossing the line) business practices used to make their fortune... not just because they have lots of money.

Why does that bother you so much?

Back