PSP or the DS?

S

Shadow_XII

what do u think is gonna be the winner? PSP or the DS?

Who knows? It's really hard to tell with this one. If the game boy wasn't already dominating the handheld market, PSP would win on name recognition alone (at least worldwide; the DS would have a much nicer reception in the east). I'm gonna have to say the DS, purely because Nintendo have such a huge stranglehold on that market. It's gonna be hard for Sony to penetrate it effectively. But if anyone can do it, it's Sony; they really know how to push a product into the spotlight. They managed to severly wound both Nintendo and Sega (who both pretty much made up the entire console industry) with the PSX alone, which was quite an achievement.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess. It's going to be interesting to watch it all unfold at the very least.

I don't plan on buying either
But from what i have read
I would go with the PSP
Plus the psp is just prettier

I hace a DS....and I love it. I'm going to get a PSP, but so far i'm extremely happy with my DS. The touch screen really adds a whole new dimension to gameplay.

I don't think I'll buy either of them either, but for some reason I think the PSP is going to do a lot better in sales than DS.

vsaravia said:
I don't think I'll buy either of them either, but for some reason I think the PSP is going to do a lot better in sales than DS.
It's because the 13+ market tends to go toward the "mature" rated games that involve killing. That's not nintendos bag.

It seems (at least according to the latest Edge) that the DS is more popular with 'gamers', while PSP being better recieved by 'mainstream users'.

To be expected really.

For me it's all about the games - so DS :)

The PSP has far more functionality, better graphics, and better games with a similar price point. I see no reason to get a DS over the PSP, although I probably won't buy either.

there will be no winner, just threads like this where opinions stab each other.

smwScott said:
The PSP has far more functionality, better graphics, and better games with a similar price point. I see no reason to get a DS over the PSP, although I probably won't buy either.

True on functionality and graphics - as for games (especially ones suited to a mobile system), we'll have to wait and see.

The DS has already been a big success - and, after playing on one a few times, I can safely say it kicks ass. The extra features are far from gimmicks and really do introduce a new levels of interaction/innovation that haven't been seen before on any system. The DS feels new and exciting.

The PSP does look great, and i'll probably pick one up, but it isn't very original, or likely (judging from it's early lineup) to get anything other than 'PS2 type' games - not games suited for a handheld (and not particularly exciting either)

Having seen one being played last week i'll have to admit that Metal Gear Acid and Ridge Racer do look sweet, though :) (but compared to 4 player wireless link up Zelda - using all the features the DS boasts - no contest :))

I've seen most of the games available for both of them, and the only one that interested me was Metal Gear Acid. I'm sure that will be a great game, Metal Gear is my favorite game series. Other than that I couldn't care less about any of the games on either system. That's why I said the PSP had better games.

I just don't like Nintendo style games. I even prefer platformers like Jak 1-3 to anything Nintendo has produced. Also, I don't even like handhelds. Even though I would love to play Metal Gear Acid, I have no intentions whatsoever of shelling out the money for a portable. Hell, I have a laptop with a car charger and a cell phone that plays shitty games which can keep me occupied. There's just no need for it, I'd end up playing the games at home where I have better stuff to do.

From a completely objective point of view, I'd say that PSP would be the better of the two, probably the best handheld of all time.

smwScott said:
I've seen most of the games available for both of them, and the only one that interested me was Metal Gear Acid. I'm sure that will be a great game, Metal Gear is my favorite game series. Other than that I couldn't care less about any of the games on either system. That's why I said the PSP had better games.

I agree that it's a sweet game - but one that would be far better suited to the PS2, and not a mobile gaming system.

Handhleds need simple, fun, addictive and multiplayer games. If there was ever an area that Nintendo 'own', it is here.

ds's games seem to be quit a bit more entertaining. Hmm juss my two bits...

PEACE

mike :cheers:

Im not into handheld gaming but if i had to pick one i would take the PSP. Mainly cuz im a Playstation fan. But right now DS has a much better game lineup. But im sure PSP will catch up later on..

The PSP is going to win absolutely, simply because it's looks cool, just look at apple i-pod, a pece of crap sompared to cheaper jukeboxes but still a succes, second the psp is powerfull and people go for that, lest be hones it's cool to have ps2 graphics in a handheld, and thirdly EA is the biggest dev and publisher of computergames becasue most people are idiots and buy licenses and sportsgames and guess what handheld is going to have more of those, fourth atleast sony learsn from it's mistakes ninendo doesn't, they are still dimmwithed stubborn dick that insist on using cartriges or in this case sd cards that make games unnececarry expensive( gba games cost a goddam 40,-) saying that the DS has a chance is rediculus, psp got it beat hands down. Even me who loves games like mdk, giants citizen kabuto, kuri kuri mix, parappa the rapper, Gish, Incredible crisis would buy a psp, the only disadvantages of it will be the enormous price in holland of it, atleast 200,- more than in the us and the battery life.
But for a more objective and expert look on things go here.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/541/541865p1.html

I wouldnt be putting any money on this its still early stages, ill just observe for now. (psp seems cooler at the moment though)

It's all about the games :)

If you want to play PS2 games on the move then I guess that the PSP is the way to go.

If you want to experience something new, with Nintendo first party games, then it's the DS.

I'm not surprised that the PSP came out on top in all sections other than availbale games in the IGN article. They all agreed that the DS has the better lineup at the moment. I doubt that is going to change.

Offcourse it is going to change, do you really think the psp won't have a lot of games, it's going to come just as the ps2 is going to be replaced so the games that will come for it will be original. Besides even eif they aren't who cares if you are buying sports games or race games.
I have friends who say the same, that they like the gba cause it has original games, but if you ask them if they would rather play on their gba mario kart advance or mario kart double dash( or something like that) that they allredy have for their gamecube, they would chose to play double dash so that originality crap is bs, and besides most folks don't give a damn about originalty. And even more those damn sd cards that nintendo uses cost way more than the umd of the psp + you can store anly a fraction of the info on them that you can store on the umd, and devs can't put the game on two cards cause that would make the game way to expensive, so they have very little space + high cost for sd cards per gamecopie, that is a just a bad investment. I would have easly prefered the DS over the PSP weren't it for the fact that nintendo are beeing unnessecary dumbass headstubborn bitches again.

PSP no doubt. With the support of the playstation label - you really can't blame the "normal" public not wanting a PSP! Hope the price is low though (<£200)

Grey Fox said:
Offcourse it is going to change, do you really think the psp won't have a lot of games, it's going to come just as the ps2 is going to be replaced so the games that will come for it will be original. Besides even eif they aren't who cares if you are buying sports games or race games.

Because I doubt many of the games will be suited to a handheld. Check out the current DS titles on the horizon (*taken from a previous thread*):

Yoshi's Touch and Go - looks absolutely brilliant (definate buy) Hard to explain it - look it up, it's going to be a complete classic.

Advance Wars DS - turn based strategy series I think is better than CiV. The top screen now catering for air units \o/

Metroid Prime Hunters - Don't need to say anymore here

Super Mario 64 DS - ditto

Animal Crossing - now we can draw our own clothes \o/

Harvest Moon - from snes to GC, great series

Another - point and click style game using stylus and microphone

Wario Ware Inc - the perfect handheld series? probably

Golden Eye - little dubious about the controls - but still, woohoo

FF3/6 - best in the series (imo)

Viewtiful Joe - simply amazing

Mario Kart DS - can you say '4 player link up'?? \o/

new Mana game - hope it can match the classic that was Secret of Mana

FF:Crystal Chronicles - more Square/Enix link up goodness

Zelda: 4 Swords - 4 player zelda anyone? oh yes.

new 'Tales of' game - loved Tales of Symphonia, will probably love this.

Vandal Hearts - nice

Winning Eleven - best football (and sports imo) series ever

new Dragon Quest game - another top series

new sonic game - :)

Bomberman - might even be able to match Bomberman on the Saturn

Loads of others, but I can't be bothered to type anymore.

No system has had a line up as good as this, ever. Period. Certainly not the PSP.

Grey Fox said:
I have friends who say the same, that they like the gba cause it has original games, but if you ask them if they would rather play on their gba mario kart advance or mario kart double dash( or something like that) that they allredy have for their gamecube, they would chose to play double dash so that originality crap is bs,

The point of a handheld is that you play it on the move, preferably linked up with friends (when you haven't got access to a GC ;)) However, I could understand playing the DS at home, as no other console can offer its unique features.

Grey Fox said:
and besides most folks don't give a damn about originalty.

That's complete crap. One of the biggest advantages of the DS is the new experiences it offers - i've had more fun playing on the DS recently than any other system.

Grey Fox said:
And even more those damn sd cards that nintendo uses cost way more than the umd of the psp + you can store anly a fraction of the info on them that you can store on the umd, and devs can't put the game on two cards cause that would make the game way to expensive, so they have very little space + high cost for sd cards per gamecopie, that is a just a bad investment. I would have easly prefered the DS over the PSP weren't it for the fact that nintendo are beeing unnessecary dumbass headstubborn bitches again.

They choose cartridges for faster loading times.

I said most of the people don't giva a crap about originality warbie.

The point of a handheld is that you play it on the move, preferably linked up with friends (when you haven't got access to a GC ) However, I could understand playing the DS at home, as no other console can offer its unique features.

No you didn't understand my point, the point was that my friends said that the PSP is crap becasue it will only have the games that the ps2 has and no original games like the gba or ds, now I gave them a hypothetical choice, I asked them would you now that you have double dash for the gc, rather buy mario kart advance for the gba or if it was possible the double dash that you allready have for the gc to buy for the gba so you could play on the road. They chose the latter, as would most people, and in sports games and race games which are very popular it doesn't matter, and besides like I said, once the psp gets popular the ps2 will be replaced with the ps3

They choose cartridges for faster loading times.

yeah but for most people and devs the disadvantages of the cartridge overshadow the advantages, it makes games more expensive while at the same time the game dev get less money of it, and it makes the ds less multipurpose, and lest be hones it is quit cool that you can watch movies on your psp and it was cool that you could play cd's on your psx, thats what most of the public will want. Look I'm not trying to say that the psp is better than the ds( it is IMO), what I'm trying to explain to you is that the psp will appeal to more people than the ds, way more people. And unfortunatly though the ds has a lot of games a lot of them are coming from nintendo themselfes while the psp will have more third party support.
And one other thing, some games on the ds that look really cool like the wario ware game require the use of the pen, now then you have to hold the game in one hand which is not handy on the road or in the bus, you know when your mobile and the psp is smaller so it beats it in that departement to, so it's just not handy.

I see what you're saying.

As always, much comes down to personal taste. I like my games consoles to be just that - for games only. I'm not fussed whether they can play movies or mp3's (dedicated machines are more than often superior to combos) A PSP is far too bulky to be a mp3 player. The screen is far too tiny to enjoy a movie. The games seem ok, but nothing new or original. Jack of all trades - master of none.

As for Mario Kart - I found Mario Kart Advance to be vastly superior to Double Dash (which was such a let down imo) - especially in link up.

One of the reasons handhelds are so popular (imo) is that they still provide the fun and simple type of games that we used to enjoy before fmv cutscenes and shallow gameplay became the norm. My pc costs 1000's of pounds - but still has nothing that can match a game of Bomberman with your mates. This what handhelds need - and it's what Nintendo does best :)

Hmmm, okey I have respect for that.
But to say you honestly I'm totally the opposit, I like to be able to do a lot of things, and don't mind cutscenes, IMO today tehre are far better games than the use to, yes the market is oversaturated with pointless shallow EA games, but then you have MGS( the perfect example that cutscenes can be very good or ff games, 3 dimensions and power provide makes more freedom and yes it is so that a ot of games these days are crap and only look good, but there are more than enough that have exxelent gameplay and that mixed with beautifull graphic is so good. Just look at zelda64 and its succes majora's mask, tell do you think that a zelda game could have been achived that was better than that in 2d. New technology gives devs more freedom, its'just ashame that most of them don't utilize it good. And to say you the truth most of the n64 games looked kinda amateur and oldstyle compared to the psx becasue of no fmv's and no speach, nintendo lingers in the past, Look at how metroid prime turned out when the talented people of nintendo got their hands on good tech, if you think the games on ds are good, imagine what they could have done with psp specs.

Grey Fox said:
I have friends who say the same, that they like the gba cause it has original games, but if you ask them if they would rather play on their gba mario kart advance or mario kart double dash( or something like that) that they allredy have for their gamecube, they would chose to play double dash so that originality crap is bs, and besides most folks don't give a damn about originalty. And even more those damn sd cards that nintendo uses cost way more than the umd of the psp + you can store anly a fraction of the info on them that you can store on the umd, and devs can't put the game on two cards cause that would make the game way to expensive, so they have very little space + high cost for sd cards per gamecopie, that is a just a bad investment. I would have easly prefered the DS over the PSP weren't it for the fact that nintendo are beeing unnessecary dumbass headstubborn bitches again.
You're right, people don't care about originality. They should, but they don't. This is how I see the games industry (and remember this is not a universal truth, just a trend) : Nintendo makes some kind of startling innovation, and another company profits. Think Goldeneye 64 (yes, I know that was by Rare, but that was practically analagous to Nintendo back in the day :) ). Goldeneye revolutionizes console fps, and is pretty popular. Then, Halo comes in, with much of the same dynamic, and just demolishes everything. Take Mario 64: the first truly 3D game. It did OK, but the PSX started to come out with 3D titles that no doubt got their inspiration from Nintendo, and got all of the success. Even video games as we know them today come from Nintendo.

People don't care about innovation. They care about what is cool. And what is cool originates from some original innovation.

I have a DS and i'm very happpy with it. I also heard something about eventually having internet support for the DS :afro:

Maybe.

Zelda OoT is still one of the greatest games ever made imo (along side Mario 64 and Golden Eye). By fun and simple games I don't mean just 2d either. (it's games like this that Iwant fromthe DS :))

Also, the DS does have good tech (touch screen, wireless connectivity, microphone - all very cool) The graphics may not be as impressive - but that's what I have my pc and other consoles for.

Nintendo have always been 'gamplay heavy'. The features of the DS are just further proof of their efforts to innovate in this area. (just as they did with the d-pad, shoulder buttons, rumble, analogue, and four joypad ports as standard etc etc .... ppl forget how Nintedno have led the way and shaped much of gaming as we know it) There is nothing 'in the past' about Nintendo. The PSP is far less a leap than the DS.

(As for he N64 and PS, I thought most N64 games looked superior ..... solid and believable gameworlds, as opposed to grainy and shallow ones. The titles were also much better - fewer, but higher quality)

Narcolepsy said:
People don't care about innovation. They care about what is cool. And what is cool originates from some original innovation.

I agree - which is why the PSP is a far more mainstream console, while the DS more the 'gamers' choice. (this hasn't stopped the DS from being a massive success, though. Selling out all over the world and exceeding expected sales by a great amount)

There's no doubt the PSP will sell more - but that doesn't make it the better machine (look at the PS and N64)

You mention Golden Eye and Mario 64. Both are still remembered with fondness and respect. The countless inferior clones were forgotten long ago. This is why Nintendo still flourish (and should continue to do so)

How can any gamer even consider missing out on a Zelda game? :)

Warbie said:
I agree - which is why the PSP is a far more mainstream console, while the DS more the 'gamers' choice. (this hasn't stopped the DS from being a massive success, though. Selling out all over the world and exceeding expected sales by a great amount)

There's no doubt the PSP will sell more - but that doesn't make it the better machine (look at the PS and N64)

You mention Golden Eye and Mario 64. Both are still remembered with fondness and respect. The countless inferior clones were forgotten long ago. This is why Nintendo still flourish (and should continue to do so)

How can any gamer even consider missing out on a Zelda game? :)
Exactly. But look at how many people still consider Nintendo to be either (1) a relic of the past or (2) for 8 and under! It's all marketing I tell you - Sony and Microsoft excel at marketing. Look at Halo 2 - I know you like it, Warbie (I do too), but do you really think it is the second coming? Does it really deserve to eclipse sales records in such a monumental manner?

EDIT: That was just an example. If this turns into a Halo 2 thread, I will rip out my heart with a spoon.

Narcolepsy said:
Exactly. But look at how many people still consider Nintendo to be either (1) a relic of the past or (2) for 8 and under! It's all marketing I tell you - Sony and Microsoft excel at marketing. Look at Halo 2 - I know you like it, Warbie (I do too), but do you really think it is the second coming? Does it really deserve to eclipse sales records in such a monumental manner?

EDIT: That was just an example. If this turns into a Halo 2 thread, I will rip out my heart with a spoon.

More fool them :) They are the ones missing out on some of the greatest game ever made.

Sony and M$ are competing for the the maintstream console place under ppls tvs these days. Nintendo have a niche all of their own.

I agree that Halo 2 isn't the 2nd coming - but it is very good imo. The sales are just the result of good game being released on a popular console (had it been a GC exclusive it would have gone unnoticed) Many superior titles are being released on Nintendo consoles every year - yet get no recognition by the general public. Like I said, their loss.

I was for the PSP for a while, but after having a chance to play the DS, I was truely impressed. I agree with Warbie, this is definitly going to be a gamers portable. I could care less if the graphics aren't up to the PSP's level because I have faith in Nintendo to release games that will make graphical quality negligable. Is Metroid Prime 2 as graphically spectacular as Halo 2? No. It's close at times, but no. But I found MP2: Echoes to be a far more enriching experience than Halo 2.

There will be more then enough original games on the psp, but there will be many more bad ones that will be marketed better and will give the impression that there are only shallow and stupid games on the psp, just like with the ps. I do agree that N64 had relativley more better games but absolutly the ps had more. And to me nintedno still lingers in the past to much and deosn't innovate that much and sometimes just make stupid choices.
Example of stupid choices: the N64 gamepad, looks like it was designed for people with 3 hands, while the ps had more buttons in immidete reach of the player.

And innovation wise, well look at ff, square critisized nintendo 64 for it's lack of capacity and I agree, FMV in good devs hands can be a great extra to a games, nintendo should have taken advantages of that and made it's console more usefull for the consumer, they just don't. But see for me a game is not all about gameplay, it is the whole experience. And a good story can make a game a lot more appeling. MGS could not have been made for the n64, but i thught it was wonderfull, The story changed my way of thinking, and it a still think about it 2 years after I played the game, and you can't possibly say that the FMV in ff don't make the game more appeling.

And another thing is that is that Nintedno makes to much mario titles, I mean I'm getting sicck and tired of mario that mario this, next thing you know there will come "Mario the accountant" Mario the shooter(although that might be fun.

And another thing is you can ask yourself does Nintedno innovate much, Just look at the handheld market, was the gba that much of a innovation on the gbc, I don't think so, only slightly improved graphics. Thye only innovated when competition was about to arrive, IMO the gba was scandalous, not only it's bad performance and lack of innovation, but the fact that the gba sp cost more than the gc, but then again the gc was to me the best of the next gen consoles, good graphics, use of dvd, low price. For the price difference between it and the ps2 you could have bought yourself a really good dvd player so it didn't matter that it couldn't play dvd's, but it was still incredibly critisized by it's fans way more than the gba so I guess they have no choice but to bring stupid things out.
And look at the games for it, a lot of them were games that were previously released on the SNES and NES andplayed exactly the same. Why didn't the innovate then, why not altleast make it 3d, they could have if sony can make the PSP with ps2 graphic then Nintendo could have made the gba easly with the graphics of N64, or why didn't they then introduce a toushpad, why did the damn games cost 45,- euro's for it. The last one was the thing that made not buy it most of all, I don't wanna pay 45,- for a damn gba game, and the cartriges where responsible for that. Now when the PSP and DS are up against one another and a game like gt4 for psp is up against a game for the ds and they both cost 45, while the psp game looks way ore advanced than the ds game, which one will consumers want to buy.
Anyway the myth that nintendo innovates is busted, if they could they would bring out mediocore hardware at a high price and make almost every new game with wel established character like mario instead of creating new once.

Grey Fox said:
I do agree that N64 had relativley more better games but absolutly the ps had more.

The PS had no games that could match the best on the N64. In terms of the no. of quality titles the N64 is still the best console I can think of (followed closely by the snes) (if I had to name the 10 best games I've played, on any system, over the years, at least 4 of them would be N64 titles)

Grey Fox said:
Example of stupid choices: the N64 gamepad, looks like it was designed for people with 3 hands, while the ps had more buttons in immidete reach of the player.

You can't be serious - the N64 pad is sooo much better than the PS pad. Along with the GC pad, it's probably the best desinged games device ever made. The dual shock analogue sticks have a massive deadzone in comparison (fact) - there is no such thing as precise analogue control on a Sony console (they're also rather uncomfortable)

Grey Fox said:
And innovation wise, well look at ff, square critisized nintendo 64 for it's lack of capacity and I agree, FMV in good devs hands can be a great extra to a games, nintendo should have taken advantages of that and made it's console more usefull for the consumer, they just don't. But see for me a game is not all about gameplay, it is the whole experience. And a good story can make a game a lot more appeling. MGS could not have been made for the n64, but i thught it was wonderfull, The story changed my way of thinking, and it a still think about it 2 years after I played the game, and you can't possibly say that the FMV in ff don't make the game more appeling.

And look what happened to SquareSoft. Other than FF7, their jump to the Sony consoles has been completely unremarkable .. with nothing to match FF6, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Tobal etc (in terms of profits it was a wise decision - they took FF to the masses. In terms of good games, they took a step back) Now Square have teamed up with Enix things seem to be improving.

I agree that FMV can have it's place - as can extra storage. MGS is a good example, then again - there were very few games of that quality on the PS (it certainly wasn't the norm)

Grey Fox said:
And another thing is you can ask yourself does Nintedno innovate much

They have innovated more than any other games company, ever. Do your research, this is blindingly obvious. I'll say again - DPad, shoulder buttons, analogue control, rumble, 4 ports as standard. Thank you Nintendo :) (now - wireless connectivitiy, with the ability for one cart to beam games directly to other machine, touch screen and microphone all intergrated into one console :)) Sony, and virtually every other games dev, have been playing catch up for years (and still continue to do so) Eye Toy is Sony's one great achievemnt in terms of innovation.

Grey Fox said:
Just look at the handheld market, was the gba that much of a innovation on the gbc, I don't think so, only slightly improved graphics.

Much like the PSP. The difference is in the games - some of the best games over the last few years have been gba titles. The GBA was never intended to be anything other than a gameboy with better gfx (being able to connect it to other GBAs and the GC was just a bonus :) - and innovative btw). Untill a few months ago it was still the greatest handheld, with the best selection of mobile games, there has ever been.

Grey Fox said:
And look at the games for it, a lot of them were games that were previously released on the SNES and NES andplayed exactly the same.

True - but many of them were still excellent and highly suited to gaming on the move, or link up with friends (very important for a handheld). There have been easily enough new GBA titles aswell (Mario and Luigi is a fantastic game, as is Advance Wars). I have enjoyed my GBA far more than I have my PS2.

Grey Fox said:
Now when the PSP and DS are up against one another and a game like gt4 for psp is up against a game for the ds and they both cost 45, while the psp game looks way ore advanced than the ds game, which one will consumers want to buy.

This is my whole point. Who wants to play 45 to play GT4 on a handheld? If it comes to a choice between that and link up Zelda, or Advance Wars, or Mario Kart (*insert massive list of DS games I'd rather play*) then there's no competition.

Grey Fox said:
Anyway the myth that nintendo innovates is busted, if they could they would bring out mediocore hardware at a high price and make almost every new game with wel established character like mario instead of creating new once.

Now that's just rubbish - what is the DS if not innovative, noone can deny that. The PSP doesn't innovate in any way at all (which is fine - it isn't trying to)

The DS is an excellent machine (which is why it has sold so amazingly well, far better than anyone predicted. Over million in just under a week infact) and already has some excellent games.

I've seen Ridge Racer being played on the PSP - and it does look fantastic. I've also seen Metal Gear Acid (which alone could make me buy a PSP) But compared to the pure joy and amazement I got from playing the DS, with friends (something the machine and games are highly geared towards), there was no doubt in my mind which is the better concoles.

(Daigasso Band Brothers is a perfect example of what the DS can offer. It's basically a rhythm action title, and isn't that impressive in one player. Howerver, a single cartridge allows you to link up with 7 other DS's (wirelessly, of course :)) I can only imagine how amazing it is in 8 player (having only experienced in in 4) Needless to say - it is very, very good :) And then there's Wario Ware :thumbs: )

Warbie wins on this one grey fox.
I hate sony x_X.......
I hate them more than I hate anything.......
They keep expanding there market!!!
From electronics, to consoles, to handhelds. Next annoucment they will be creating there own damn OS!!!

Sony are indeed irritating, I mean they always need to be stubborn, and not just use compact flash cards for example but make their own memory sticks, in 30 yeasr I predict they will launch their own fastfood chain. But a lot of japanes companies do that like yamaha, you have the bikes and you have the pianos.

The PS had no games that could match the best on the N64. In terms of the no. of quality titles the N64 is still the best console I can think of (followed closely by the snes) (if I had to name the 10 best games I've played, on any system, over the years, at least 4 of them would be N64 titles)

Actually look at it from my point of view, the psx allowed them to do some wonderfull things that they could not have done on the n64, and all the ff have been very good imo, far better than any on the n64

You can't be serious - the N64 pad is sooo much better than the PS pad. Along with the GC pad, it's probably the best desinged games device ever made. The dual shock analogue sticks have a massive deadzone in comparison (fact) - there is no such thing as precise analogue control on a Sony console (they're also rather uncomfortable)

Actually I am, the n64 pad is rediculus
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/techno/ostra/game/photo/n64_pad.gif
The psx was far better like I said in my post, the analog sticks where far better and the button placemnet, there is no way you can reach all the buttons on the n64 pad at once without the need to move your hand in another position.
http://images.andale.com/f2/108/103/8641848/1059396480561_dualshock_blue.jpg

And look what happened to SquareSoft. Other than FF7, their jump to the Sony consoles has been completely unremarkable .. with nothing to match FF6, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Tobal etc (in terms of profits it was a wise decision - they took FF to the masses. In terms of good games, they took a step back) Now Square have teamed up with Enix things seem to be improving.

I agree that FMV can have it's place - as can extra storage. MGS is a good example, then again - there were very few games of that quality on the PS (it certainly wasn't the norm)

They have innovated more than any other games company, ever. Do your research, this is blindingly obvious. I'll say again - DPad, shoulder buttons, analogue control, rumble, 4 ports as standard. Thank you Nintendo (now - wireless connectivitiy, with the ability for one cart to beam games directly to other machine, touch screen and microphone all intergrated into one console ) Sony, and virtually every other games dev, have been playing catch up for years (and still continue to do so) Eye Toy is Sony's one great achievemnt in terms of innovation.

Sony introduced the third dimension, the cd.

Much like the PSP. The difference is in the games - some of the best games over the last few years have been gba titles. The GBA was never intended to be anything other than a gameboy with better gfx (being able to connect it to other GBAs and the GC was just a bonus - and innovative btw). Untill a few months ago it was still the greatest handheld, with the best selection of mobile games, there has ever been.

Greatest. common please what serious competition did it have, and why was it only ment to be an graphics update from the gbc, wgy didn't they innovate when there was no sony luring around the corner. If left to nintendo allone there would be only graphical updates, and it's games were on of the gratest of all time but not for it but for the snes and nes. And why do

True - but many of them were still excellent and highly suited to gaming on the move, or link up with friends (very important for a handheld). There have been easily enough new GBA titles aswell (Mario and Luigi is a fantastic game, as is Advance Wars). I have enjoyed my GBA far more than I have my PS2.

Jes but why do critize the fact that the psp will have games of the ps2, if I had the choice of playing an old game like mario bros 3 again or a new one I would chose the new one, yet you seem not to mind the fact that the gba had rehashed games, so your critisizm of the psp is not fair.

This is my whole point. Who wants to play 45 to play GT4 on a handheld? If it comes to a choice between that and link up Zelda, or Advance Wars, or Mario Kart (*insert massive list of DS games I'd rather play*) then there's no competition.

I would and so would most people, most people left with the choise to play mario3 whic hthey allready have or gt4 which they also have would rather play gt4. Besides like I said for sports games and race games it doesn't matter if they are orgiinal as long as they are good, and better harware helps for sports games, not a touchscreen. Playing games the quality of the ps2 on a handheld is ****ling cool. The fatc that you could play ffX handheld is very cool, and with the enormous storage capacity of the umd you can enjoy your 45,- buck for a long time. Unlike with the gba where you playeda game in 3 hour out. And looking at the ds only a few games will be able to keep you interested for that long, you there is a reason why on ign 4 out if 5 judges chose the psp.

BTW sorry for so many errors and misspelling, but my mom wants to turn the internet off so I have ot write fast.

Actually look at it from my point of view, the psx allowed them to do some wonderfull things that they could not have done on the n64, and all the ff have been very good imo, far better than any on the n64
Alright, name some games. I'll start: Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye 64, Perfect Dark...

Actually I am, the n64 pad is rediculus
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/techno/ostra...oto/n64_pad.gif
The psx was far better like I said in my post, the analog sticks where far better and the button placemnet, there is no way you can reach all the buttons on the n64 pad at once without the need to move your hand in another position.
http://images.andale.com/f2/108/103...lshock_blue.jpg
The idea was that you shouldn't be using the analog stick and control stick at the same time. And to me, the PS2/PSX control is simply terrible. You have to stretch your thumb way over to reach the analog sticks - the control pad and sticks should be reversed.

Sony introduced the third dimension, the cd.
Now that's just a cop-out. Nintendo could have introduced the CD, but they didn't, for lack of need for a memory card, increased durability, and anti-piracy. The GC uses Cds, but only because cartriges just won't cut it anymore - they were fine for the N64.

Greatest. common please what serious competition did it have, and why was it only ment to be an graphics update from the gbc, wgy didn't they innovate when there was no sony luring around the corner. If left to nintendo allone there would be only graphical updates, and it's games were on of the gratest of all time but not for it but for the snes and nes. And why do
They did innovate with the connectivity. But really, in a contest on innovation, there's no discussion here.

Jes but why do critize the fact that the psp will have games of the ps2, if I had the choice of playing an old game like mario bros 3 again or a new one I would chose the new one, yet you seem not to mind the fact that the gba had rehashed games, so your critisizm of the psp is not fair.
You have a point - one of the few reasonable points you've made.

I would and so would most people, most people left with the choise to play mario3 whic hthey allready have or gt4 which they also have would rather play gt4. Besides like I said for sports games and race games it doesn't matter if they are orgiinal as long as they are good, and better harware helps for sports games, not a touchscreen. Playing games the quality of the ps2 on a handheld is ****ling cool. The fatc that you could play ffX handheld is very cool, and with the enormous storage capacity of the umd you can enjoy your 45,- buck for a long time. Unlike with the gba where you playeda game in 3 hour out. And looking at the ds only a few games will be able to keep you interested for that long, you there is a reason why on ign 4 out if 5 judges chose the psp.

BTW sorry for so many errors and misspelling, but my mom wants to turn the internet off so I have ot write fast.
We're treading into opinion territory here, and that's OK.

Two games that are selling me to the DS:

Castlevania (the sequel to Aria of Sorrow - Soma is just so damn cool)
Wario Ware: Touched (Any game that has an innuendo about touching in the title is a sure fire winner. It has fun mini-games too)

Back