Question about Portal, Garry's Mod Portal & free model vs. game

Growler1984

Reaction score
I couldn't think of how else to put it, so I'm asking like that.

As we know, Orange box comes with the full game of Portal. Now the question is [ignoring the Orange Box itself for now], are we paying for the Portal game as a whole [guessing "yes" here], or just for the actual Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device?

If the latter is true, then would that mean the Garry's Mod's Portal - http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Garrys_Mod_Portal_MiniMod;68277 - have to now have a price tag on it?

I know the full Portal game's ASHPD is the finished model, but what if someone were to make the full one available to the original HL2 [not that I'd have any clue how to do that!] via a mod, rather than through the Portal game?

So what I'm saying here is.. is there a way [if allowed] to have the *finished* ASHPD on the original HL2 without Orange Box?

Garry's Mod sources files from elsewhere in your Steam folders. You could easily download a Portal model pack but it wouldn't have any models or textures and would show up as ERROR.

So no, you're paying for Portal.

Seeing as how that Gmod mod is made entirely from scratch, based on the trailers for Portal, no, you shouldn't have to pay for it. And it's a moot point, because as Reginald said, you have to have Portal to use Portal-stuff in gmod. Lest you use an illegal addon, but those are not supported by Gmod, facepunch, PHW or HL2.net.

Back