Quick question about your preferences in RPG gameplay.

Which do you prefer in an RPG

• Show me the numbers. I prefer knowing exactly whats going on so I can calculate the odds.

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Hide the numbers. I want to play a role playing game, not a math playing game.

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters
You mean pulling up that post? Or rising from the dead?

Because the second one I got down pat.

I'm not a numbers guy. I used to love the style of gaming in the online text MMO I played, where things would be described in combat and stuff in terms of descriptions. Glancing blows, light hits, demolishing strikes and all sorts of things. Just descriptions and shit. You could easily know how much damage you were doing, relatively speaking, without it actually throwing numbers at you.

CircleMUD based? :)

After playing WoW on/off style for 5 years I love numbers. I loved minmaxing my character although as a healer I didn't see very clear feedback from it. I just did my job instead of trying to get hueg numbers like DPS.

But I think the new talent system will be a lot better than the original ones. In the old one you googled your spec's optimal talents and copied them to your character. Then you obeyed the class guide with gems, stats etc. If you didn't, you were a dumbass. The new talents will give some actual choices that aren't too critical. The downside is that leveling feels a lot less satisfying when you don't get to put new talent points every few levels.

As someone already said, pretty much all RPGs show the numbers to some extent. I think WoW's system is optimal for me. It doesn't tell you everything, but has a ton of different stats. And if the player wants to know more, the internet is full of information.

Back