Race X

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56031

Can anyone tell me if Race X from Opposing Force are Canon?

say what in who now? and also run for your life, samon will come in balls of fire :O

i don't understand, what do you mean "Race X is cannon"? sorry it confuse's me and the part about samon, is that he hates anything Op4, he just a big spoil sport

I mean is Race X part of the official Storyline or did Valve not care about them anymore and leave the idea.

most likey we won't see them in any VALVe product, but they can't stop modder's ;)

i'm sure they have just wrote off the "Race X" as an alien group sucked in by the portal storm or something like that, but i'm sure they won't write them off like samon so thinks, i'm sure they have some ref's to them somewhere

Thanks although there have not been any references to them anywhere yet.

i'm sure there be a hidden something there somewhere, and who knows when Ep.4 comes we may see an old face or 2 :O

Race-X happened, but Valve did confirm they will not appear in another Half-life game. I don't hate everything Opposing force, I just don't like Race X/Shephard/Barnacle gun/teleport gun/squid gun and other things.

:p

Samon said:
Race-X happened, but Valve did confirm they will not appear in another Half-life game. I don't hate everything Opposing force, I just don't like Race X/Shephard/Barnacle gun/teleport gun/squid gun and other things.

:p
Whats wrong with shepard?(i remember you saying he has no face once or was it Riomhaire) Race-X was horrible except for the Shock Trooper... pit drones voltigore Bleah! Barnacle gun, just plain ridiculous to me... squid gun was ok...teleport gun used too much ammo...what do you mean by other things and Redneck you said Valve did not want to continue with Race-X anymore... I REMEMBER! Shock Trooper--->:thumbs:

The teleport gun was truly lame. Teleportation is Half-life's central theme - they use a huge one in Lambda in order to travel to Xen and it takes ages to load up. So why in the at the press of the button can a stupid gun thing do it in a mere second? Well done Gearbox, you really thought that one out.

Azner said:
Redneck you said Valve did not want to continue with Race-X anymore... I REMEMBER! Shock Trooper--->:thumbs:

I don't remember when I said that, but it's true Valve won't be continuing with Race-X.
I personally liked Op4 and the aliens except for the stupid bosses bleah, and as for the weapons I liked the squid gun sniper rifle and heavy machine gun. Oh yeah and the teleport gun was a cheap copy of the BFG.

Good point

The teleport gun was truly lame. Teleportation is Half-life's central theme - they use a huge one in Lambda in order to travel to Xen and it takes ages to load up. So why in the at the press of the button can a stupid gun thing do it in a mere second? Well done Gearbox, you really thought that one out.

That is a really good point never thought of that.:)

It's been talked about countless times. Opposing Force and Race-X are canon, but in the grand scheme of things they didn't have a large impact on the plot so there is little need to revisit them. Over all I don't think Gearbox was quite as concerned with the story as Valve, though I think you're taking the Teleport-Gun a little to far, Samon (as is your nature). Gearbox was just trying to re-create a fun experience and they had to take some creative liscense. Most people would agree with me that Opfor was fun to play. The teleport gun in particularly added bit of extra exploration to the game.

I quite liked Race-X, apart from the Pit Worm and the boss. The Shock troopers were good to fight, and using a baby strooper as a weapon was fun.

Pee, Race-X sucks. Whoops, here comes a lame rip-off of the vortigaunt! Yay, let's wreck Valve's classic! Bad level design (Gordon took a damn year to get the Lambda Complex, and Shephard had to climb somewhere from a railway to the teleporter chamber. Yeah right)! Lame-ass teleporter gun!

Yay!

(Please don't sue me.)

bigburpco said:
Pee, Race-X sucks. Whoops, here comes a lame rip-off of the vortigaunt! Yay, let's wreck Valve's classic! Bad level design (Gordon took a damn year to get the Lambda Complex, and Shephard had to climb somewhere from a railway to the teleporter chamber. Yeah right)! Lame-ass teleporter gun!

Yay!

(Please don't sue me.)

FTW.

bigburpco said:

lol, because there can only be 1 route!. Yeah....

Do you mean Pit Drones were the vortigaunt rip-off? They're the ones who look most like them, though they behave differently.
Or do you mean the Shock Troopers who looked nothing like them and also acted differently (similar to marines).

Yep, talking about the Pit Drones. They're in the same premise as the vortigaunts.

And about the 1-route thing... I seriously doubt the old decommisioned railway leads to the freaking Lambda Complex (especially the teleport chamber). Opposing Force is too shallow; action but no depth at all.

I onely just the teleport gun once, when i first got it and had no idea what it was. It just wasn't useful for me. Oh and when i think about it, it is silly, stupid and wired.
And you said it bigburpco, Opposing Force is too shallow; action but no depth at all.

Samon said:

Its BFG ok? Seriously how can you people complain on a gun thats "out of context" in a game about aliens and teleportion?
I love the gun, I love its hugeness and power... nothing more too it.
All that I complain on is the cheer mass of weapons; How does he carry all that?

The endboss was bad too... and why wont race x be in the game in the future?
I thought they were combine or something...

Krehlmar said:
Seriously how can you people complain on a gun thats "out of context" in a game about aliens and teleportion?

Lets see...
Samon said:

That's why. It's a perfectly reasonable complaint.
We won't be seeing Race-X because I assume Valve simply aren't interested - they existed, and entered Black Mesa...but it was Gearbox's idea and they simply don't fit into the overall plot.

Samon said:
Lets see...
That's why. It's a perfectly reasonable complaint.
We won't be seeing Race-X because I assume Valve simply aren't interested - they existed, and entered Black Mesa...but it was Gearbox's idea and they simply don't fit into the overall plot.
And the gravity gun being super charged is totally ok?

What I mean is why complain if its a game? Ok with awsome and totally realistic story with aliens, teleportion and a guy whos apperently god, but a gun that shoots teleportion is totally out of context?
meh I never thought it was a bad idea.. loved the whole "charlie and the chocolate factory" feel of black masa, "everything is possible!"

Umm, yeah the gravity gun being super charged is ok. Because it doesn't contradict anything at all. Did you even read what I put about it? Seriously, it doesn't matter whether it's a game, and it doesn't matter how many aliens it has in it. It still contradicts the game world. Don't say it doesn't. Yes it does.

The teleportation gun isn't really unreasonable, I'd say.

The Lambda Core had been operational for quite a long time. the teleport gun is apparently a unique prototype (so far, only one exists).

Small-scale portals were located throughout the complex, that weren't a direct part of the machine.
Arguably, a teleportation device could be closet-sized or even as small as Home Plate in a baseball game.
So the size is around correct, and it's not as though it couldn't be miniaturized in the prototype.

Also, the gun has many flaws compared to the core.
-Destinations can't be targeted at all.
-It uses up comparatively low amounts of energy (around 60 tau cannon shots per teleport, which is a lot but not much compared to an entire reactor).
-The launched portals disintegrate people.

So, I find it safe to assume the following:

-The scientists had recently began experimenting with portable teleports.
-The portals sucked, because the low amount of power used caused the test subjects to get ripped apart. Even using 60% of the power a suit-augmented human can carry, the destinations couldn't be targeted accurately and the tests would fail from being teleported off a cliff or worse.
-So, left with a shitty teleporter that killed people, they did the smart thing: they began attempts to turn it into a weapon.
-A scientist stole the unfinished prototype to escape Black Mesa, but it killed him.

Makes sense to me.

I wrote that in like thirty seconds. :O

And you know you can't deny the smarts!! !

The teleport gun was probably a prototype, like the tau and gauss. So I think it is reasonable. And the lamda reactor complex has to be accessible by the old rail networks as it is entirely subsurface. (I'm back, woot)

I dont know Mechagodzilla... Look at the mass of the teleport gordon uses. Look at the sice of Nihilanth's brain, the power it takes to create portals. I don't realy trust Gearbox teleportgun. Sure its okay in a BFG kind of way, but that's all there is to it. Not to much thought about that gun i think.

99.vikram said:
The teleport gun was probably a prototype, like the tau and gauss. So I think it is reasonable. And the lamda reactor complex has to be accessible by the old rail networks as it is entirely subsurface. (I'm back, woot)
That's one hell of a prototype... One hell of a lame-ass prototype

I know you have had that avatar a long time now Samon, and some other members too... But, who is it?

C'mon guys! I really liked OpFor as a combat-oriented version of Half-life. A few plot points were twisted here and there, but so what? It was still great fun...at least for me :)

And there are still ways to justify RaceX and the new weapons.

PS - The SAW roxxorz

I had no problem with Race X, but first time i played it i had no idea that it was a new race of enemies.

That was made clear when one of the docs says - I've never seen this species before.

Back