Race X

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
*minor spoilers (if you haven't played ep1, I guess)*

well......since the Gman is no longer in control of Gordon, I suppose he could always bring in Sheppard as a replacement. Either to continue Gordons work, capture Gordon, or even kill him.

Granted, this probably won't happen, but it's certainly a plausible way to re-introduce Sheppard to the series, and would make for a pretty good plot device to have both the real heroes of Black Mesa facing off against each other. At least until the inevitable happens, and Sheppard is either killed or freed and recruited to the Good Guys team.

Everything was cool but the barnacle gun was pointless and the teleport gun
is worst idea out the entire game.

DA YODA said:
Everything was cool but the barnacle gun was pointless and the teleport gun
is worst idea out the entire game.

Hell no, without the teleport gun I would'nt have had the hilarious experience of using its secondary fire only to be teleported to my death. Well it wasnt so much hilarious as it was frustrating because I didn't think to quick save but It was memorable :O

Race X and Shepherd can definitely make an appearence in later episodes of HL2. i recall reading somewhere that the orginal HL expansions were indeed developed by Gearbox, but scripts were written by writers from Valve so characters frm the expansions could possibly be brought back to into the light in HL2 expansions. Barney too, a character from a Gearbox developed game was used in HL2 and that could be do that Valve created his character and had a purpose for him for the sequel. so this could very well mean that there will be an appearance of Corporal Shepherd and Race X. also, if you look up everything you can on Half Life and all of the games in the HL universe, you may be able to peice together alot of unanswered questions.

Race X is dead and buried. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a slight reference to them later on (like the cremator in kliener's lab) but other then that, they don't fit in at all.

Race X, I have found, is really unimportant. If you just consider them Xen creatures (which is kinda what are, really) you'll be alright.

Inyssius Grey said:
Actually Wikipedia in this case is dreadfully wrong, save for the description of the creatures themselves (and even then I see some points that are conjecture or clearly false). Mainly, the "Origin and Purpose" section is completely off.

First of all, any theories tying Race-X to the Combine should immediately be thrown out and the author should be beaten with a crowbar, a monkey wrench, a hammer, or a similar type of tool that one might find laying around a secret, government-funded facility. Race-X are not synths. This alone should be proof enough because before Earth, there WAS no overwatch, not even on other planets! The Combine modify everything they get ahold of. Secondly, were Race-X part of the Combine that would mean that the Combine technically did, at one point, set foot on Xen. This argument has been disproven time and time again. If the Combine were never on Xen, and Race-X was, that means Race-X is not part of the Combine.

Second point: "some suggest that they are the original inhabitants of Xen; while others believe that the aliens are simply drawn into the portal storms by accident." Impossible, for a few reasons. First off, there were no original inhabitants on Xen. Anything that got there got there through migration--namely, through teleportation. Secondly, the portal storms occurred after Race-X started showing up in Black Mesa, which means they weren't sucked into any portals by accident. Even if Race-X had started appearing after the portal storms, there's nothing to suggest that the teleport energies would affect other planets or nearby galaxies; the portal storms were, for all we know, localized on Xen and Earth, and only then because of the connection already established between the two worlds. Had there not been an open connection to Earth, the portal storms might have only ravaged across Xen. Third, we can see that scientist expeditions to Xen yielded specimens from Race-X, and Race-X quite intentionally teleported to Black Mesa, which rules out any accident scenarios.

Therefore we can gather that Race-X habitated Xen, at least for some period of time. I believe it was Marc Laidlaw who made the comment that Race-X didn't seem adapted to Xen, and were from somewhere distant, but because even the races we call the Xenians were also originally from somewhere far away--from another universe, in fact--it's not hard to imagine that Race-X had residence on Xen for at least a few years, perhaps decades. I'd actually have to disagree with Valve on this one because I find Race-X remarkably well-suited to Xen. It's always been my personal belief that Race-X occupied the polar opposite end of the border world, somewhere removed from the Xenians but still within range of teleport energies. They would have had to have come from Xen, because there's no other way they could've gotten to Earth, or Earth to have gotten to them, absolutely no other way. So at some point Race-X came to Xen, much in the same way the Xenians did, perhaps even through another Great Migration Event using gene worms in the same way the controllers used the Nihilanth.

Why do you think Xenians aren't from Xen? I know it's a border world and it possible for Xen to originally by uninhabitated, but why do you think this?

And if this is so, I have another question. If the Xenians aren't originally from Xen itself, why would we call them Xenians themsleves and exclude the other aliens to be called Race-X?

Because initially, Xenians were actually from Xen (as far as we knew). That was how it was in Half-Life. When Half-Life 2 came out, we discovered that the Nihilanth had evacuated whatever planet they came from, because the Combine were coming. The Nihilanth migrated everything to Xen, the borderworld, where the Combine couldn't reach. Valve confirmed that nothing actually lived on Xen before this. So we call them Xenians because we encountered them on Xen...we really don't know what planet they came from initially and we're not likely to ever find out.

Race-X aren't called Xenians because, again, at the time of the expansion packs we still thought Xenians to be from Xen, and nobody knew where Race-X was from. When you first encounter a shock trooper, the scientist who gets kidnapped remarks, "I've never seen this species before." They were called Race-X in the game because of that. The "X" in Race-X doesn't mean "Race-Xen" or anything like that, it's more like Brand X, which is basically the "unknown" brand, the unknown factor. That's what the X stands for. And it wasn't until afterward that anyone started any real debate on where these creatures came from. Xen's just the likeliest choice. So in a way you could call them Xenians, because they inhabit Xen, but it'd get confusing. That's why the distinction is made between Xenians and Race-X.

Vass said:
Why do you think Xenians aren't from Xen? I know it's a border world and it possible for Xen to originally by uninhabitated, but why do you think this?

And if this is so, I have another question. If the Xenians aren't originally from Xen itself, why would we call them Xenians themsleves and exclude the other aliens to be called Race-X?
Would you like doughnut to come over and whack u?

Darkside55 said:
Because initially, Xenians were actually from Xen (as far as we knew). That was how it was in Half-Life. When Half-Life 2 came out, we discovered that the Nihilanth had evacuated whatever planet they came from, because the Combine were coming. The Nihilanth migrated everything to Xen, the borderworld, where the Combine couldn't reach. Valve confirmed that nothing actually lived on Xen before this. So we call them Xenians because we encountered them on Xen...we really don't know what planet they came from initially and we're not likely to ever find out.

Race-X aren't called Xenians because, again, at the time of the expansion packs we still thought Xenians to be from Xen, and nobody knew where Race-X was from. When you first encounter a shock trooper, the scientist who gets kidnapped remarks, "I've never seen this species before." They were called Race-X in the game because of that. The "X" in Race-X doesn't mean "Race-Xen" or anything like that, it's more like Brand X, which is basically the "unknown" brand, the unknown factor. That's what the X stands for. And it wasn't until afterward that anyone started any real debate on where these creatures came from. Xen's just the likeliest choice. So in a way you could call them Xenians, because they inhabit Xen, but it'd get confusing. That's why the distinction is made between Xenians and Race-X.

Race X is from Xen. The Xenians escaped to Race X's World.

More likely the other way around. Race-X probably appeared after the Xenians, for whatever reason. Valve's even said Race-X didn't come from Xen anyway, and were ill-adapted to the borderworld. Xenians on the other hand have adapted quite well to their surroundings, having colonized at least half--if not more--of Xen.

Darkside55 said:
More likely the other way around. Race-X probably appeared after the Xenians, for whatever reason. Valve's even said Race-X didn't come from Xen anyway, and were ill-adapted to the borderworld. Xenians on the other hand have adapted quite well to their surroundings, having colonized at least half--if not more--of Xen.

And where did they say this?

In an email. You'll find it with a quick search of the forums. Race-X - not from Xen.

Back