Ravenholm... Cyrilic?

danitiwa

Reaction score
I noticed there was an electric sign on top of the buildings that said something like Tehnika... I forgot what it said. (I can read Cyrilic, I'm part Serbian.) Now I'm wondering whether it's possible that Ravenholm is a town in some slavic place like Russia or Serbia? But it's weird, because when you first enter the barnhouse thing out of the Black Mesa tunnel, there's graffiti that says something about needing a gun.

I can't remember where I saw the sign, but it looked like a big electric sign, and I think it was at the part with the cars and levers...

It's already been established that Cryilic is seen throughout the game in other locations besides Ravenholm. Also, City 17 and the surrounding area is located in Eastern Europe, so it is certainly possible.

I noticed there was an electric sign on top of the buildings that said something like Tehnika... I forgot what it said. (I can read Cyrilic, I'm part Serbian.)

SLAV PARTY! Throw up a screeny mate, and i'll give it a whirl.

Also, the debate of Hl2's location only ends in blood, havoc and gregarious levels of neat-freak spam.

please dont double post, use the edit button, moderators will flame you.

There's a sign "xССР" when you get out the train station, so City 17 is pretty loaded with Russian, Serbian, German and English languages.

City 17 is located in Eastern Europe. Not any particular country. Just Eastern Europe in general.

Hmm, isn't City 17 located somewhere in Russia?
No. It is in no specific country. The petrol pumps are in Swedish, some signs are in Russian, some buildings are based off ones in Warsaw.

Wasn't the idea behind these 'urban centers' that they were mish-mashes of the local population as they fled from the other-world fauna that dropped in during the portal storms, which would explain why this city has a variety of languages from a common area (namely northern Europe)?

Ok, you can talk about Ravenholm but don't think about City 17, AJ Rimmer will ban you.
:hmph:

No. It is in no specific country. The petrol pumps are in Swedish, some signs are in Russian, some buildings are based off ones in Warsaw.

Swedish lol? I never actually noticed that. XD

On Highway 17, there's also something like an iron sheet painted in yellow and written in Romanian (no cyrilic alphabet). It says something about insecticide composition and instructions for use. :)

I always notice russian words during playing the game. On the buildings, magazines and others. F.e: tehnika, delk, shahta pobedi(in hl2ep2) or something, russian cars... I can understand this words, cuz i'm russian. But i wonder what the hell this words doing here? Is the game location Russia? I do not think so.

Шахта Победы имени Октября etc. (Ep2)

I always notice russian words during playing the game. On the buildings, magazines and others. F.e: tehnika, delk, shahta pobedi(in hl2ep2) or something, russian cars... I can understand this words, cuz i'm russian. But i wonder what the hell this words doing here? Is the game location Russia? I do not think so.

Nah mate, there's a whole swag of different nations involved. There was a huge debate on it, i'll try and dig up the thread for ya.

there were LOTS of threads about swedish words, russian words..polish.
But yes, Russian in more wide-spreaded.

And this whole time, I thought the game was placed in america somewhere. I assumed this because everyone had an american accent... atleast everyone that mattered.

The entire Hl2 setting is just general eastern europe. I don't think theres really a specific place its supposed to be set in. because people have claimed that they've seen things in the maps that make it swedish, russian, bulgarian... So i think valve made it a combination of several places.

Dhabih Eng from Valve, whose one of the head art guys, told me how the forrest setting in Episode 2 is a combination of several forrests around the world, like in Sweden, germany, but actually they mainly used Washington state's forrests for the look as well.

Wow. I thought it's just a forest.You know,with trees.Sticks.Logs.Cute little headcrabs...

I always associate City 17 with Ukraine and Russia, even they aren't that close to each other geographically.

Actually I wasn't, because I remembered that there's 1-2 countries in between Ukraine and Russia. :LOL:

Ukraine%20Map.jpg

2mwuwjb.png

Back