"Received some interesting offers for your services..."

Asknoone

Reaction score
Anyone else notice the whisp of smoke at the beginning of the latest gameplay footage? It's there one moment and then simply fades away the next. I'm not sure if anyone recalls but didn't Valve say in an interview we'd see 'mysterious entities' or something throughout the game?

Looks to me like those interesting offers for Gordon's services have inserted themselves into the picture now Gman has been taken out of the equation.

Or, of course, lark, mega bug

OR BATMAN? You decide.

As soon as the vid starts, I think. You can probably see it better on the IGN high-def version.

Yeah I noticed that last night, I thought it only were some bug though.

Which part of the video was it in?

Right after the loading bar disappears and as the game pops in you can see it right next to the trees. You can't miss it.

Camo scanner :naughty:

Just kidding, I also noticed it but didnt really care.

I'll give the high-def version a look. I wonder if it's a Xen entity?

Can't find the link to the HD version -- anyone have it?

Are you talking about the ball of smoke looking thing in the upper right part of screen?

It looks like a scanner or something and floats there for a while, but simply fades away after a minute or so.

halfep2bv4.jpg

Taken at the time the game starts. The smaller thumbnails show how it slowly starts to vanish as the video progress.

If you set the video at about 00:23 you can see that the small "cloud" is at the same direction the smoke from the ground is blowing at.

Hole in the universe from the citadel's explosion and sending of the data packet forcing the portal storms ever wider?

I like this type of creepiness. Hits me much harder than the "boo!" scares which have gotten old by now.

I initally thought it was smoke too. But there's something fishy about the way it lingers there at the top of the screen. Why would it not have dispered yet after having drifted to that height?

Kinda creepy, yeah.

Interesting...didn't see it the first few times I watched it before being told about it.

...wonder what was in that data packet...my brother thinks it's Breen.

That is interesting. I think I've seen it before, though, in GMod - some sort of vehicle bug that makes smoke particles appear in odd places. Most visible if you tool around in either the jeep or the airboat in gm_construct; it appears at the world origin, close to the middle of the grassy area.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/7413/halfep2bv4.jpg

Taken at the time the game starts. The smaller thumbnails show how it slowly starts to vanish as the video progress.

If you set the video at about 00:23 you can see that the small "cloud" is at the same direction the smoke from the ground is blowing at.
It looks like some smoke that was left from the crash on the left. It could be that there was still some faded trail of smoke from the crash. And it was only rendered as full smoke because the game just loaded and the whole scene or event didn't happen live or continuously.

That is interesting. I think I've seen it before, though, in GMod - some sort of vehicle bug that makes smoke particles appear in odd places. Most visible if you tool around in either the jeep or the airboat in gm_construct; it appears at the world origin, close to the middle of the grassy area.
I heard that was an easter egg.

From this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDMUhuSun_k

Around 00:17

As for the Episode Two thing, I believe this may be the first electronic UFO in history ;)

It will all be cleared up on October 9th.

wait, gman taken out of the equation? what do you mean by that?

yeh i got that in gmod10 once while drivin a bugatti, but i lost where it was...

I, for one, rather think it would be awesome if magic smoke followed you around for the entire game.

wow, I never noticed that. must be a bug, it has to be, either that or some particle got suck on the projector and that dissapeared..

halfep2bv4.jpg

Smog cat is spying on us. O_O

Gotta love the new model-shadowing, I mean that how the pine leaves cast shadows to other leaves under them. Before, the shadows would look good on ground, but there would be no shadows casted to tree trunk.

...or those are just some fake-shadows made with texture :D

Eh I don't think I'm ready for Gordon to get different "offers" just yet...then again I also think he escaped from the GMans power too early in the series.

Maybe it's the ghost of The Cat. (The one Barney mentions.)

Back