[Release] Missing Information v1.4 --- Borealis and E3 Pres.

T

tundra_cool

MISSING INFORMATION v1.4 (BETA)
===============================
[Send all general questions and comments to [email protected]]

Missing Information is a mod which brings the old Half-Life 2 story
from prototype concepts to what you expected the game would be like
when you viewed the E3 trailers.

This release features the Borealis and E3 Presentation only as a public test.

The Borealis is what Valve had created after Half-Life 1 was released.

GAME NOTES
==========

-The E3 Presentation maps need to be played just as they are in the E3 Videos from 2003.
-Borealis is UGLY. We need to convert most brush architecture to models and pretty it up later.
-Along with the brush architecture, many animations and things are missing. You may notice a
jolt in animation or Odell doing the moonwalk down a set of stairs and into the floor.
-If you're stuck on the docks in the E3 Presentation, fall into the water to progress.

CREDITS
=======

Project Leaders: tundra_cool, Rage2Wrath
Coding: Hyperjag3, Skidz
Mapping: Hyperjag3, LaCabra, Skez, tundra_cool, JoshuaC
Models: Awesome_Alex, Barneyinblue, Fstick, Hyperjag3, Ren128, Romka, tundra_cool, JoshuaC

SPECIAL THANKS
==============

Gabe and the gang for being team players!

Wraiyth for his parallax mapping code.

alexroyce for playtesting.

All of Gabe's Love Tub excluding the following:

-max_x
-R2Bl3nd
-popbob
-camperjoe

-Kato

WANT TO JOIN THE TEAM?
======================

At the time of this release we are interested in finding individuals who can donate
their time to any of the following:

-UV Mapping
-Prop Modeller
-Character Animator

You can check for avaliable positions today from
http://pubtub.love-tub.com

--->We are also accepting user-submitted content related to the old plot at
--->http://pubtub.love-tub.com

DISCLAIMER
==========

MOST OF THE MOD CONTENT WAS MADE BY VALVE SOFTWARE. BY READING THIS
YOU UNDERSTAND NOT TO ANNOY US BY SAYING WE STEAL, LIE, OR TAKE CREDIT
FOR ANY OF VALVE'S JUNK. Well, what do you know? Capslock was on.

IMAGES

DOWNLOAD HERE

Let the controversy begin!

It's a mod. You know, for some game named 'Half-Life 2.'

lol sorry , i meant whats the story what do you do gameplay and shizz?

It's one of Valve's cut chapters from Half-Life 2. In this part, you climb aboard the Borealis for the 2nd time to find your trusty friend Odell waiting for you. You enter the ship, thing's are wrong, blood is covering the floors, the captain's gone, strange noises can be heard, you know, the usual in any thrilling story.

i said i would check this out way back because you guys mature attitude about the situation impressed me and went a long way towards removing the taboo about talking about the stolen content
I look forward to playing it and i'll let you know what i think...

edit - goddamn host it somewhere faster - 30kbps doesnt do my heart any good :(
edit2 - goddamnit v2, installing failed twice because the file didnt download fully, get a new host

And even if it were 'just contect from the cut game', that's still a mod. It's a modification of Half-Life 2.

But it's more than that.

BetaMaster said:
And even if it were 'just contect from the cut game', that's still a mod. It's a modification of Half-Life 2.

But it's more than that.
Really?
Most boring game level I have ever played :x
Answer me this
1. Why was the ice and water not done properly
2. Why were there doors and valves and drawers and buttons and can machines EVERYWHERE and you couldnt use any of them - hell i had to noclip through the first 2 doors because they wouldnt OPEN!!!
3. Valve quality mapping was there everywhere with the pipes etc. but where was the gameplay??? Why did you not improve on the enemy placement?
4. The sound in parts was amazingly ambient - in other parts the rain was the most annoying sound i have ever heard ingame
5. Why were the stalkers stronger, more powerful and faster than the soldiers? And why were they just standing around?
6. What the hell was the Borealis anyway - there's no explanantion as to why you got on, why you got off at the end - you just walk around
7. Why were there no med kits on the level? Why was there flare ammunition EVERYWHERE when the level is adequetely lit?

Guys this is a very poor effort - you clearly havent done much if any work on this mod at all considering that the code you initially had was in a playable state when you got it. The laziness is what I dont understand - why release this in the shoddy half finished condition that its in?
I'm very disappointed - I was looking forward to great things :|

Valve was responsible for the creation of these content. The mod is still in the beta stage. You can just wait for the new version. Just wait until you see the other levels, you will not going to be disappointed.

then why bother releasing this junk - i want quality not a timewaster

It's a simple chapter for gameplay and story presentation. Stop asking why characters stand around in a computer game and think about what it'll look like when it's complete.

And if the level's already lit well enough to see, it's quite obvious that the flaregun wasn't there to light up dark corridors but enemies instead.

john3571000 said:

If you don't like it go and play Garry's Mod just like other ******s on the internet. Now shaddap!

john3571000 said:

Good luck finding a larger singleplayer mod with higher quality.

Man I've been waiting for this to come along for a while now - you guys are awesome!

will give you my impressions in a bit.

tundra_cool said:

Quoted For Holy Truth!

I just started downloading, but I must ask: what kind of file is .msi? Is it for some unzipping program I don't have?

Microsoft Installer. It's an automatic installer just like any other. Rarely used format, though.

Your partner already answered that question:
If you don't like it go and play Garry's Mod just like other ******s on the internet. Now shaddap!
See now that's the professional attitude that can only come with such highly developed cut and paste skills.

Maybe it's brilliant if your target audience are idiots?

Well, I've been playing for a while, and I can wholeheartedly say I disagree with John. It's awesome. I haven't had a single glitch, it looks cool, very great atmosphere, and I can't get over the fact that IT'S REALLY THE CUT MATERIALS!

13-1-9-15-20-15-13-5_-_15.mp4

???

Alright. I finished it a little bit ago, and here's what I have to say:

First off, this is a hardcore fan's mod. If you love everything about HL2, if you have read/own Raising the Bar, if you love the SP mythology, this is for you. Otherwise, you probably won't go nuts over it.

Now, glitchwise, there are a few nasty bugs I came across- but nothing else. One was at the end of the Borealis level (which I thought was very sweet) where my game crashed. I tried to load my save, but it would crash to desktop every time it loaded. Eventually, I loaded the beginning of that area (which was where I was anyway) and had no more trouble. The second one was worse. In the E3 Demo, when you storm the Combine gate alongside Barney, I couldn't get it to load the next area. I simply could not. Eventually I broke down, and just loaded the maps myself. Also, much more minorly, I had a good deal of difficulty getting antlions to spawn in the Bugbait level.

There were also a few little things that bothered me. For instance, in the E3 section, it was a little disconcerting to see only a black screen (rather than a progress bar) as the next area was loaded. That should be changed. Also, you don't get to see the Hydra! (although I wouldn't be surprised if that was at Valve's request).

Still, for the far majority of the mod, I was enthralled. Traptown! The tunnels! The Borealis! I thought it was actually quite polished, and I really think John3571000 was overly harsh. I definitely liked this, and I look forward to any more content from you guys (*cough*AIREXCHANGE,CHILDFACTORY,KRAKENBASE*cough*).

Overall, I'd give it an 8.5/10 for casual fans, and a 10/10 for hardcore fanboys like myself.

JNightshade said:
Alright. I finished it a little bit ago, and here's what I have to say:

First off, this is a hardcore fan's mod. If you love everything about HL2, if you have read/own Raising the Bar, if you love the SP mythology, this is for you. Otherwise, you probably won't go nuts over it.

Now, glitchwise, there are a few nasty bugs I came across- but nothing else. One was at the end of the Borealis level (which I thought was very sweet) where my game crashed. I tried to load my save, but it would crash to desktop every time it loaded. Eventually, I loaded the beginning of that area (which was where I was anyway) and had no more trouble. The second one was worse. In the E3 Demo, when you storm the Combine gate alongside Barney, I couldn't get it to load the next area. I simply could not. Eventually I broke down, and just loaded the maps myself. Also, much more minorly, I had a good deal of difficulty getting antlions to spawn in the Bugbait level.

There were also a few little things that bothered me. For instance, in the E3 section, it was a little disconcerting to see only a black screen (rather than a progress bar) as the next area was loaded. That should be changed. Also, you don't get to see the Hydra! (although I wouldn't be surprised if that was at Valve's request).

Still, for the far majority of the mod, I was enthralled. Traptown! The tunnels! The Borealis! I thought it was actually quite polished, and I really think John3571000 was overly harsh. I definitely liked this, and I look forward to any more content from you guys (*cough*AIREXCHANGE,CHILDFACTORY,KRAKENBASE*cough*).

Overall, I'd give it an 8.5/10 for casual fans, and a 10/10 for hardcore fanboys like myself.
:(
in my defence
but but but... the borealis level was released unfinished - there is no gameplay
sure it was nice to see what might have been but the potential of this map is mindblowing and instead it was decided to release it in what is essentially an alpha state :(
now all this so called hard work - where is it?
This code was playable when it was released - why has it not been improved tenfold in the 2+ years it has been available?
I expected great things here, I was very impressed before by your professional attitude when you started publicising this mod way back but now comments like this after completely justified criticism -

Quote: Good luck finding a larger singleplayer mod with higher quality.

Quote: If you don't like it go and play Garry's Mod just like other ******s on the internet. Now shaddap!

- have destroyed any goodwill I feel. I mean WTF? How can you publish work and not be expect to be critised if it is poor? It boggles the mind :(

I sincerely hoped for this mod but it seems that the mod participants have done next to no work in 2+ YEARS - they have nothing to show for it...:(

Edit : Ok i played through the E3 demo levels and i'm slightly less miffed - twas cool to play what were mere teasers before and access all the cut weapons at the same time. The seafloor level was far better than what made it into the final game and the c17 bit was also badly missed
the rest while pretty (especially the bay with the zombies on the wooden pier = eye candy :)) wasnt really of much use ingame
the OICW sounds and feels incredible!

A must if you like Jnightshade said are enthralled by RtB etc. i just wish the mod team had produced something of their own - I hope that the quality will come eventually and that they will give us full levels of all the content they possess using their own creative judgement and skill.

ogyykg.jpg

ogyyq9.jpg

ogyyqq.jpg

ogyyvd.jpg

ogyyw1.jpg

ogyyyc.jpg

ogyyyf.jpg

ogyz9t.jpg

I am looking forward to playing this immensely, but need to make one thing clear first:

Does this install over my HL2 installation, or is it separate? In other words will it add the levels into HL2 itself, or are they all in a separate game?

JNightshade said:
(*cough*AIREXCHANGE,CHILDFACTORY,KRAKENBASE*cough*)

(*cough*MANHACK ARCADE, NOVA PROSPEKT AS SEEN ON PAGE 224-237 OF RTB SPECIFICALLY THE GUNSHIP BAYS*cough*) Although I'm not sure if they count as Missing Content. :x

It's a separate mod. It shows up on Steam as "Missing Information".

I really enjoyed the Borealis level :D And the E3 demo was hilarious, but I couldn't find the City 17 bit that Nightshade mentioned. Was it part of the E3 demo? Because that just went black at the end... I can only assume it's after that, but it was on the black screen for ages.

..Wow..I Must Say...Wow.. The Boreallis was Scarier than all of Ravenholm! I Can't wait for your Later Releases

The mod is awesome. Stalkers, however, were far too over-powered (didn't help that I had 20hp before the first meeting)
The E3 levels are awesome! Trap town is designed very different than Ravenholm, and definately worth playing through!

Overall, 8/10 for a first release!

Reginald, you experienced what I was referring to. When the screen went black, it was actually loading (you just couldn't see the status bar). If you wait longer, you get to play a TON of other cool stuff.

What is this mod?

Is it the stolen content?

Pretty much. Valve is cool with it now as long as we don't use the code.

JNightshade said:
Reginald, you experienced what I was referring to. When the screen went black, it was actually loading (you just couldn't see the status bar). If you wait longer, you get to play a TON of other cool stuff.

I did wonder. I probably didn't give it enough of a chance; just a toilet break.

Ah, yeah. My machine is pretty leet, so they loaded pretty quickly for me, but nonetheless the lack of stat bar is a flaw. And if you don't want to go through the entire sequence just to get to one part, you can enter "map e3" into the console to see a list of different areas. Then just select one, enter it in, and go!

My computer is pretty leet normally which is why I got impatient. And when I did Ctrl-Alt-Delete it said not responding so that was probably why. If it doesn't work again I'll try the map method.

yeah i had to open the maps through the console - the load points didnt work for me most of the time - or else i couldnt find them :p

the code isnt very robust - spawning more than one npc in a uptime cycle crashes my game :(

Back