Rick Santorum: Rape Babies are a gift from god

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
GOP Presidential hopeful Rick Santorum caused quite a stir on CNN last Friday night when he basically said rape victims should accept their babies as gifts from God.

In an interview with Piers Morgan, the most socially conservative candidate in the GOP field continued to stand steadfast in his opposition to abortion, even in cases where rape is involved.

Morgan pressed Santorum on the issue and asked how the right-wing candidate would feel if his daughter came to him begging for an abortion after being raped. Santorum said, “I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created — in the sense of rape — but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you.” He added that rape victims ought to “make the best of a bad situation.”

wow in other words god is a dick who wants you to accept his gift of rape

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/01/24/rick-santorum-rape-babies-are-gifts-from-god/

I think Fidel Castro said it best recently:

The selection of a Republican candidate for the presidency of this globalized and expansive empire is — and I mean this seriously — the greatest competition of idiocy and ignorance that has ever been,”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/castro-calls-republican-field-a-competition-of-idiocy/

To be fair to the republican party Santorum had no support for most of the primary, then got a short spike in support during Iowa which has now faded away.

RON PAUL 2012!

I'm not American, and I'm deeply curious: Do American women really go for this crap? Is there one single possessor of a uterus in the USA who heard Santorum say that and thought "yeah, I'm comfortable with this level of judgmental control of the female reproductive system by a man, and will gladly give him my vote?"

Because if somebody said that here in Ireland, they'd be dismissed as a crackpot lunatic from the Christian Solidarity party (who are all wingnuts). And abortion isn't even legal here!

I'm betting that highly religious women who think only provocatively dressed sluts and whores are the ones who get raped would probably think that, Kip.

To be fair to the republican party Santorum had no support for most of the primary, then got a short spike in support during Iowa which has now faded away.

RON PAUL 2012!

I still think he doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell. republicans dont want a real maverick they want one who acts like one but toes the party line

The capacity for cognitive dissonance in right-wing authoritarians is exceptional. (That is, if you believe the research methodology is sound.) Source.

Basically what Veg said.

personally I wouldnt trust someone who disregards mountain loads of evidence in favour of ridiculous fairy tales about sky wizards. I wouldnt vote for someone who's moral framework is shaped by fantasy

I'm betting that highly religious women who think only provocatively dressed sluts and whores are the ones who get raped would probably think that, Kip.

Yeah :( Sometimes the world is a sad place.

Stern, I wouldn't mind if someone I was voting for was religious or not, as long as they didn't try to impose their beliefs on the general public or use them to run the country.

religious is one thing but creationist is as far down the rabbit hole as you can get.

Ron Paul's moral framework is shaped by the non aggression principle.

I wouldn't trust someone like Obama who signed the NDAA into law.

personally I wouldnt trust someone who disregards mountain loads of evidence in favour of ridiculous fairy tales about sky wizards. I wouldnt vote for someone who's moral framework is shaped by fantasy

I'd rather he be skeptical of economic and foreign policy party lines than evolutionary evidence. The cost of continuing our out-of-control deficit spending and brush fire wars in the Middle East is astronomically higher than a personal disbelief in evolution. Shit, if Paul has his way then he'd have no say on state educational policies anyway.

It's weird that rape is brought into the abortion debate at all. The example of a woman being raped always gets used as an argument in favor of abortion, but it's so silly. The opponents oppose abortion because they view the fetus as a person*, how it was conceived shouldn't even factor into the debate. If they don't support abortion because they see it as murder, they're not gonna support it when it's murder still but with a different motivation. I can understand that he said that because hell, what else is he gonna say? Someone who opposes abortion except when the fetus is conceived by rape quite frankly is a moron.

* I can't help but think that if they really viewed it as a person, they'd be a little more ticked off than they are about the whole abortion thing. Sure, they get pretty mad about it, but if it's really a person to you then you live in a country that commits a mini Holocaust every year and I'd expect quite a different response.

It's weird that rape is brought into the abortion debate at all. The example of a woman being raped always gets used as an argument in favor of abortion, but it's so silly. The opponents oppose abortion because they view the fetus as a person*, how it was conceived shouldn't even factor into the debate. If they don't support abortion because they see it as murder, they're not gonna support it when it's murder still but with a different motivation. I can understand that he said that because hell, what else is he gonna say? Someone who opposes abortion except when the fetus is conceived by rape quite frankly is a moron.

* I can't help but think that if they really viewed it as a person, they'd be a little more ticked off than they are about the whole abortion thing. Sure, they get pretty mad about it, but if it's really a person to you then you live in a country that commits a mini Holocaust every year and I'd expect quite a different response.

Yeah, I'm glad somebody said this... if someone believes that life begins as a fetus, how can you not expect them to extend that belief to fetuses which are a product of rape? If you're committed to being pro-life, it would be hypocritical and kind of sick to be honest. The implication being that these fetuses are actually subhuman due to how they were conceived.

And that said, Olivia Benson is totally smokin' <3 <3
Olivia_Benson_%28SVU%291.jpg

Her low-cut top makes me want to rape her. If this were Iran I would not be prosecuted for these uncontrollable urges, damnit!

In the mental state I am right now (nicotine and alcohol aplenty), that still sounds like a terrible idea.

Back