Road Deaths Costing World 500 Billion Dollars

Warped

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBF_BL_pwI&feature=sub
Dmitry Medvedev, Russia's president, says improving road safety should be treated with the same urgency as fighting the global recession.

Moscow is hosting the first global ministerial conference on road safety in an attempt to help tackle a problem that Medvedev says is costing the global economy around $500bn a year.

Neave Barker reports from the Russian capital.

Finally a conference that makes sense! Hopefully they'll come up with something better than letting all these damn text messagers and drunk drivers ruin it for the rest of us. Also they should do another conference on Cancer and Heart Disease because these problems at least in the states affect wayyy to many people.

Road death as a pedestrian or passenger/driver is my single greatest fear.

Road death as a pedestrian or passenger/driver is my single greatest fear.

Mine too, I hate driving in my friends car when hes on the phone. Another "OMG I want to kill my friend" moment was when my friend would talk on his phone while stick shifting on our way to school going 80mph.

Also they should do another conference on Cancer and Heart Disease because these problems at least in the states affect wayyy to many people.
FirstWorldProblems.txt

You realise the vast majority of cancer deaths are essentially death by "natural causes", this is true also of heart disease to a lesser extent, exacerbated by an affluent diet.

And yes, bad drivers are a menace. Is using a mobile while driving not illegal yet in the States?

One of my cousins got into a car accident that almost paralyzed her for life. She apparently dropped something while driving, and stupidly tried reaching for it. Her distraction caused her to get into a serious car accident. She was nearly paralyzed for life and had to do tons of rehabilitation, and at one point she even wanted to die.

Car accidents terrify me. The problem is you don't have to be the one making the mistake... somebody else can make the mistake for you. That's what makes it so terrifying. You can be the world's best driver and still get into a deadly car accident.

FirstWorldProblems.txt

You realise the vast majority of cancer deaths are essentially death by "natural causes", this is true also of heart disease to a lesser extent, exacerbated by an affluent diet.

And yes, bad drivers are a menace. Is using a mobile while driving not illegal yet in the States?

In some states its illegal like here in NY, but hardly enforced. IMO they should just enact stiffer fines, like $1000 if caught instead of $50. every year locally a group of kids die because the driver is distracted and just recently 4 teenagers were killed because of phone use. it really is just as bad as drunk driving. cars are weapons if not used properly

All these people are loosing their lives, but all they care about is the money. If not for the money, they wouldn't even have assembled this meeting.
Anarchy.gif

We banned texting while driving here in cal, as many of you know.

everyone still does it

URR IMA STOOPID DUMB DUMB WAT IS BN

It took all of 2 milliseconds for me to realize what it meant. Stop being stupid.

LOL I know right?!? this is for the kids who didn't get it the 1st time. also always go with your gut feeling on things, and never think twice about something because doubt leads to anxiety attacks and drinking shitloads of pills

LOL I know right?!? this is for the kids who didn't get it the 1st time. also always go with your gut feeling on things, and never think twice about something because doubt leads to anxiety attacks and drinking shitloads of pills

Shut up.

Car accidents terrify me. The problem is you don't have to be the one making the mistake... somebody else can make the mistake for you. That's what makes it so terrifying. You can be the world's best driver and still get into a deadly car accident.

Not really. You're confusing liability with certainty. Just because it would have been someone else's fault doesn't mean you can't avoid it. The risk of a skilled and careful driver of having an accident on the road is quite miniscule.

Not really. You're confusing liability with certainty. Just because it would have been someone else's fault doesn't mean you can't avoid it. The risk of a skilled and careful driver of having an accident on the road is quite miniscule.

my uncle who was a detective on the local police force was hit head on when a robber was speeding away from a crime. he was only driving from one place to another and the robber drove across 3-4 lanes of traffic too. some things in life you just can't avoid no matter how good your doing

my uncle who was a detective on the local police force was hit head on when a robber was speeding away from a crime. he was only driving from one place to another and the robber drove across 3-4 lanes of traffic too. some things in life you just can't avoid no matter how good your doing

Some - but very, very few.

A noble sentiment, and a rather ironic one, as Russia has, by far, the worst roads I have ever seen. It was a terrifying experience to do any amount of car travel outside of the major cities.

Also
FirstWorldProblems.txt

Keep up the good work, young man

Back