Rush

ChiliFan

Space Core
Reaction score
So I'm going through a Rush phase at the moment. Such a massively talented group of musicians, only three of them and yet their songs have such depth.

Personally I love their synthesised stuff, Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure are amazing albums, and very rarely do I like every song on a CD. Of course there are classics like YYZ, Tom Sawyer and 2112 but I'm not such a fan of that era. Also some of the lyrics from their mid-80s songs remind me a lot of the Half-Life 2 story, particularly Red Sector "A", so that may be a factor in my liking for them. :p

Three current favourites:

Force Ten
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RExzwl-BRZ0

Distant Early Warning
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aKlgHfexw6g

Red Sector "A"
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D03-wX3qs0Q

Anyone else like Rush then?

I enjoy their music mainly because they are Dream Theater's main inspiration. :p

All i have to say about them is this: their song, Spirit of the Radio is irritating, IMO. That is all.

I've heard almost everything they've done.

I liked their old stuff. I don't like any of their songs after the 80's - well maybe 1 or something.

I like a couple songs off of each of their older albums, but 2112 is one of the first albums I ever got [of any kind] and so I listened to it a lot, and I like it the most.

The drums, and the way he would sing really intense and strong back then on that album. it's amazing.

I love rush. My favorite is actually Freewill simply for what the song stands for.

They are my favorite band ever. I f*cking love Rush. I honestly know so much about them and their music.. I think I know too much.. Ask me anything about Rush and I can probably tell you (without using the internet). I own all of their CD's, all of their Live CD's (the new Snakes and Arrows live version of Spirit of Radio is F*CKING AWESOME! Best version EVER!), and I own all their live DVD's (videos of their performances) I love them.

One of my current favorites is Jacob's Ladder from Permanent Waves.

Also all you guys are crazy, 2112 is one of their best works (Passage to Bangkok on it, c'mon), and their early stuff is awesome, their later stuff is awesome, and their new stuff is awesome.

They should make 2112 into a movie ffs. It's such a good story.

Ask me anything about Rush and I can probably tell you (without using the internet).

If By-Tor was an emissary of evil in his battle against the army of the Snow Dog, why did he return as a champion of good to defeat the Necromancer?

:dork:

Because that's the way the managers dog (By-Tor) behaved, sometimes he was a good dog, sometimes he was bad. They just decided to make him bad in By-Tor and the Snow Dog and made him good in the Necromancer.

Here's a question for you - What did Rush change their name to for a very (very) brief time when they started out?

You got me there, enlighten me.

You are indeed their number 1 fan, I bow to your giant Rush filled brain. :E
But I saw them first - they're MINE.

Hell yes, #1 fan, bitchs!

They changed their name to Hadrian for a bit - January 1969 to July 1969. Good thing they changed it back..

My favorite song from Rush is either A Passage to Bangkok or Cygnus X-1.

Xanadu was good too though.

Tobes of Hates lit by flickering torch lights!

Or maybe

The clouds prepare for battle
In the dark and brooding silence
Bruised and sullen storm clouds
Have the light of day obscured
Looming low and ominous
In twilight premature
Thunder heads are rumbling
In a distant overture...

God damn they kick ass!

Hades. HADES. You're fired as no. 1 fan.

The writer stares with glassy eyes, defies the empty page,
His beard is white, his face is lined, and streaked with tears of rage.
30 years ago how the words would flow, with passion and precision,
But now his mind is dark and dulled by sickness and indecision.

And he stares out the kitchen door
where the sun will rise no more.

Actually I copied and pasted, so there! I know it's Hades.. Hates wouldn't make any sense!

Although I can't remember WHY I copied/pasted such a short verse..

Anyways, Xanadu has got to be my favorite after Spirit of Radio..

To seek the sacred river alph..
To walk the caves of ice..
To break my fast on honeydew..
And drink the milk of paradise..

I have heard them whisper tales of immortality
The deepest mystery
From an ancient book, I took a clue
I scaled the frozen mountain tops of eastern lands unknown
Time and man alone!
SEARCHING for the lost..
XANADU!!

XAAAAA NAAAAA DOOOOOOOoooooo

To stand within the pleasure dome, decreed by Kubla Khan
To taste anew the fruits of life
The last immortal man
To find the sacred river alph
To walk the caves of ice!
Oh, I will dine on honeydew..

A thousand years have come and gone
Time has passed me by!
Stars stopped in the sky!
Frozen in an everlasting view!

*Sweet guitar lick*

Waiting for the world to end
Weary of the night!
Praying for the light!
Prison of the lost
Xanadu..

XAAAAAA NAAAAAAA DOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo

Held within the pleasure dome decreed by Kubla Khan..
To taste my bitter triumph
As a mad immortal man..
Nevermore shall I return..
Escape these caves of ice!
For I have dined on honeydew
And drunk the milk of paradise!
Is it paradise?

So kickass. Based of a poem.

Rush are pretty good. I used to really like them a few years ago, but I haven't listened to them in a long while. Just not exactly my thing.

Maybe I should listen to them again, my dad has a lot of their albums.

May I suggest a starter of Snakes & Arrows, followed by an indulgent main course of A farewell to Kings and Hemispheres back to back, and finishing with a rich Moving Pictures dessert.

If sir would prefer something lighter, I would recommend a starter of Grace under Pressure or Signals, followed by a Roll the Bones main course, and finishing with a Test for Echo or Presto pudding.

What are you, high?

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures for their hits.

2112, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres for their 'epics'.

Fly by Night/Rush/Caress of Steel for their roots (plus their mini epic By-Tor and their two not-so-popular epics on CoS)

Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold your Fire for their synth stuff.

Anything after that (Presto to present) for regular music.

I'd recommend Vapor Trails over Snakes and Arrows, while S&A is good, Vapor trails rocks harder.

Random: Neil Peart is a god to me. Not only as a drummer but as an all around bad ass.

That was a mere recommendation to a rush noob... all albums are worth listening to, I don't discriminate against anything they have written as it is all a work of art. Except Vapor Trails.

Vapor Trails was a stroke victim learning to walk again for the first time after Peart's double bereavement. It is tentative, confused, badly recorded, and a playsafe fallback to the unprogressive, cliche crash-symbol rawk of their maiden album. Bleh.

YOU SHUT THE F*CK UP NOW!

ONE LITTLE VICTORY, EARTHSHINE, GHOST RIDER, SECRET TOUCH, SWEET MIRACLE, GO F*CK YOURSELF!

GAH! Everyone seems to hate VT except me. It kicks ass, end of story. And their 'maiden' album kicks freakin ass, too. Better then counterparts.. That album is their worst, imo. Still good, but their worst.

That album is very popular actually, I'm always amazed at how many think it is their best since 2112. Matter of personal taste in the end. My favourite era was the 80's, which is when I was starting to get into them. I remember Tom Sawyer getting to No. 10 in the charts here, and buying loads of those little album shaped bubblegum packs with the Moving Pictures cover on the front. Shoulda kept some, they would be worth something now...

But I also like the classics of the 70's as well as the more recent stuff. Can't think of a specific song that really doesn't do it for me, heck I even like Rivendell :cheese:

I guess I just like what they like to play, rather than the single genre of music a lot of fans keep insisting they are 'supposed' to play.

By the way, do you have the Snakes and Arrows 5.1 MVI? I was trying to get hold of that for ages but nowhere has it in stock in the UK so I gave up. Why they only distributed 20,000 in the entire world when there are over 100,000 rush fans is beyond me.

Well, it's nowhere near their best, but it's pretty good, better then people give it credit for.

I like their early stuff the best, Fly by Night up to Moving pictures was their best era. I still like their synth stuff (80's), but not a much as A Farewell to Kings (my favorite album probably).

I also just want to say - I think I'm going bald is a good song. I listen to it alot. It's got a kick ass solo. People don't like it for some reason. That whole album is better then people say..

If you're a member of Demonoid I can give you a link to.. eh.. 'obtain' the S&A MVI..

Thanx, but this is one band that I am willing to part with cash for their music. I'll probably see it around someday.

A question for you:
Is that very very faint laughter in the background when Geddy hits the highest note in Rivendell? or was it just my bad recording on an old tape to tape? I will not die in peace until I know.

Yea, I will buy it too (got to actually HAVE it!), but I really wanted to see it, so I dled it.

I don't listen to Rivendell much (I don't like it that much) but listening to it, I don't hear any laughter, probably just your tape.. Or maybe they edited it out on the CD's? All I've got are CD's..

On a related note - did you know Rivendell was based on LOTR? Actually listening to it I can see how..

Also - You recorded a Rush song on a tape, yet you'd rather shell out cash for the DVD? Contradicting!

lol not really, this was back in the early 80's when I had Archives on vinyl and I wanted a copy to play on my tape player too, no CD's back then. The laughter is so faint you have to listen to it on headphones and turn the volume right up to hear it - I thought it may have been one of the guys in the recording studio laughing at Geddy's high note, but I guess i'll never know as I don't have any of my old vinyls anymore :(

Yeah, I knew Rivendell was based on one of the hobbit books - Peart was always a great Tolkein fan. A lot of the old songs are also based on short stories that he read.

Went to the Rush show in Toronto yesterday - IT WAS AWESOME. Best thing I've ever done, ever. Lost my voice for screaming so loud/much, it was just.. Kickass.

Actually I copied and pasted, so there! I know it's Hades.. Hates wouldn't make any sense!

Although I can't remember WHY I copied/pasted such a short verse..

Anyways, Xanadu has got to be my favorite after Spirit of Radio..

To seek the sacred river alph..
To walk the caves of ice..
To break my fast on honeydew..

I have heard them whisper tales of immortality
The deepest mystery
From an ancient book, I took a clue
I scaled the frozen mountain tops of eastern lands unknown
Time and man alone!
SEARCHING for the lost..
XANADU!!

XAAAAA NAAAAA DOOOOOOOoooooo

To stand within the pleasure dome, decreed by Kubla Khan
To taste anew the fruits of life
The last immortal man
To find the sacred river alph
To walk the caves of ice!
Oh, I will dine on honeydew..

A thousand years have come and gone
Time has passed me by!
Stars stopped in the sky!
Frozen in an everlasting view!

*Sweet guitar lick*

Waiting for the world to end
Weary of the night!
Praying for the light!
Prison of the lost
Xanadu..

XAAAAAA NAAAAAAA DOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo

Held within the pleasure dome decreed by Kubla Khan..
To taste my bitter triumph
As a mad immortal man..
Nevermore shall I return..
Escape these caves of ice!
For I have dined on honeydew
And drunk the milk of paradise!
Is it paradise?

So kickass. Based of a poem.

Bump for great justice. I've really been getting into Rush more and more lately, playing as many songs as possible on bass and guitar. So far I can play Afterimage, Grand Designs, Marathon, Mission, The Pass and The Camera Eye, and the first part of La Villa. Now I just need to find some way to get a good tone for playing through an amp.

I've heard about something called a POD, which I think can have different tone settings uploaded to it from a computer. Is this true, and if so where can I buy one?

Dude, listen to The Enemy Within (Grace Under Pressure), I've recently learned how damn awesome it is, in my top 10 fo sho.

As for this "pod" of which you speak, I think you mean a pedal. The Digitech RP250 (and newer) lets you download/make patches for it on the computer (also has updates you can download to it), if that's what you mean. I got the RP200 (which doesn't hook up to the computer), but I like it just as well.

The Enemy Within is fantastic, bass line is hard to play but extremely fun. I think Middletown Dreams has the most interesting guitar of their 80s songs, particularly the tone Alex gets. It's just impossible to play.

i remember when i first heard "2112", it blew my mind like the first time i heard "dark side of the moon". after that ive avoided most of their mid-80s stuff but other than that they're a pretty good mix of that heavy zeppelin feeling and proggy floyd sound.

I just completed my collection by getting their first album. Never really gave their early stuff much of a chance but Before And After just has the most beatiful intro and I must play it.

I just completed my collection by getting their first album. Never really gave their early stuff much of a chance but Before And After just has the most beatiful intro and I must play it.

their first album is really underrated. its so simple, but awesome. working man is my favorite.

Working Man's a little heavy in places but pretty good. I love the main riff in Finding My Way though, what a fantastic way to open an album.

If only they played some of the lesser-known songs on their newer tours. At least they brought back Between The Wheels, now if we get Grand Designs I'll be happy.

Take a friend = awesome.

And yes - we need Grand Designs, I'd love for them to play The Enemy Within, they haven't played it since their Grace Under Pressure tour.

Also, I know I'll never ever ever ever ever ever ever get this one, but I wish they played the Necromancer.

Back