S.T.A.L.K.E.R. help needed

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56031

I just started playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and I am finding it difficult to get into just cos there are a few things that annoy me quite a bit.

1) You seem to die way too easily
2) There always seems to be way too many enemies
3) The weight limit is way too small
4) So far nothing in the story seems to be happening
5) Did i mention you seem to die way too easily?

Do these problems get rectified? Cos it's kind of annoying and I know alot of people like this game and i want to get into it but i just can't so far, it feels like i am playing a game where I am on a big scavenger hunt really o_O

1) I got kinda lucky with a good stash, but once you find good armour the game becomes way easier.

2) Its probably due to the dying so fast that you think there are so many enemies. If anything enemies become more abundant later on.

3) There are some rare suits that increase the weight limit (from technically 60 to 80).

4) I cant really comment cause I took the least story based route in the game.

To be honest, I kind of like that you die easily and that there are alot of enemies, gives cover a meaning.

1/2) My first like 2-3 times, where you have to rescue that guy for the first mission, I always went 'oh well, first mission, I'll knife them all' because I spent alot of time knifing the dogs and boars around the base, so I sprint in, knife 3 of them and die, tried again like twice, then I figured it's too easy to die, I have to be smart.

3) The weight limit is also a good thing:
The house before you enter the garbage bad guys infinitely spawn, so you could just keep killing them, and taking and selling their weapons, I killed atleast 50 of them before I realised they'd never stop spawning, lol. I have like 7 AR's right now.
It keeps you from making an ass load of cash.

4) I dunno, I'm so far only at the start of the Garbage (I saved right after it finished loading the Garbage level, and haven't played on from there yet), and I think it's pretty interesting. You gotta meet some people, kill another guy.. How far in are you? I don't think I'm that far in, yet alot has happened. Don't do the story missions right away, btw. Do some random missions first, that's what I did (I actually did every random mission I could get at the start of the game, I'm a perfectionist in games like these, so I do every mission I can get :p), and right now at the start of the garbage I'm freaking strapped.

I actually got lucky, my guys from the first mission ended up wandering around and they wandered to the bridge, and that made the army guys hostile towards me, so my team mates and I killed them all, and I got their gear.

I should play that game.. I did every mission I could in the first area, and I'm just at the start of garbage..

Oh wtf, HL2.net tricked me into double posting! I clicked post and it said 'you can't post again for 30 second' so I figured it glitched, I waited 30 second and posted this.

****ing HL2.net. gaw!

I'm trying to find the military documents right now at the research center

Is that the one near the start of game? If so I'd hold off until you at least get some ****ing good armor.
I personally didn't think the damage system was that bad.

Uhm, does that mean 60lb weight limit? Because quite frankly I think it's pretty realistic. If you can sprint you are the buffest person alive. Going to 80 you're carrying a soldier's full combat load in the US Army, if you can do anything other than just sort of lift your feet and move around you're my hero.

Choose your battles. You do realise you don't have to always piss off creatures

I'm mostly fighting soldiers actually and have ran from creatures mostly.

Is that the one near the start of game? If so I'd hold off until you at least get some ****ing good armor.

Yeah it is i'd better get better armour then. Now the game seems more RPG than FPS, I thought it would be like deus ex (a perfect blend of the two) :(

I haven't played SS2 but I get your point I didn't realise their would be an equivalent of grinding in this i just thought combat was hard, oh well.

*uses trainer because i can't be bothered grinding*

Firstly, keep your distance from opponents, the combat is very deadly and far more ranged than in other games such as HL2 etc, where you have gunfights from 10 yards away. Secondly, try not to be a pack rat. You can't carry everything and every gun, so carry what is necessary and stash any other gear in the blue boxes you find, as your stuff won't ever get stolen from these. Bung spare med kits, bandages, saleable artifacts, guns to sell, spare ammo, etc etc into them. Normally 300 rounds of whatever Assault rifle you use ammo is usually enough for most missions, plus 50 rounds for a secondary pistol. If the worst comes to the worst, loot anyone you've killed and use their guns during your mission. Ideally you want to keep your weight below 30KG, so you can bulk up on artifacts and sale able guns. Also it's worth hunting out the various stashes you're given hints about on your PDA, as they often lead to good loot.

1) You seem to die way too easily
STALKER is not exactly a "run into a crowded room and kill everybody" game. You'll need to be more tactical than when you're playing, say, Half-Life 2.
2) There always seems to be way too many enemies
Once again, use tactics. Several times when I was playing, I would just fire a couple shots in their direction to gather attention, and then sit in a corner or hide behind a tree and pick them off as they came through. I was playing a while back, and as soon as I started the game I did this with the army barricade down the road.
3) The weight limit is way too small
If I remember correctly, the weight limit goes up depending on what armor you're using. When you get further in the game (or possibly sooner, depending on how you like to play) you'll get better armor and suits. The way it handles the weight is very realistic; you can carry past your weight limit, but your sprinting will use up your stamina very quickly. Eventually if you carry too much just walking will start using it up.
4) So far nothing in the story seems to be happening
How far are you into the game? It does take a little while for stuff to happen after you start.

For those of you who want to know where to get some sweet armour (this is in a stash that can be found in the wildlands or whatever its called):

It make take a while, but an enemy should talk about a stash inside of a wrecked house in the wildlands (that area where you rescue the professor). Anyways, right next to the train station where that weird overhead camera shot happens there is a house that has windows all around, but no enterable door. Right next to it is a tower that you can climb, then traverse across the pipe to the roof of the house. There will be a hole in the roof that leads to a part of the house with some electric anomalies, with beams criss-crossing all over. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE! If you slip either you will be killed by the anomaly, or get stuck in the pit below and have to kill yourself. Use the beams carefully and save often, and you should see an enterance to the unwreaked part of the house you could see in the windows. Make your way over there using the beams. Once there search all the rooms, and one of them will have a chest with the SEVA armour in it. This armour is amazing, and will last you to the end of the games with no problems at all. Keep in mind I have no idea whether it is random loot or not, but given its such a powerful item I figured it was fixed.

Whew. Now someone try that and let me know if it works for them :)

Best armor is the Eco-suit you get buy turning the armor into that guy.

What? No, the SEVA armour is the best by far. It provides outstanding protection against both the elements and bullets.

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about the ecologist suit or the P99E?

The one with the blue night vision, I just know I used it through the end of the game.

For those of you who want to know where to get some sweet armour (this is in a stash that can be found in the wildlands or whatever its called):

It make take a while, but an enemy should talk about a stash inside of a wrecked house in the wildlands (that area where you rescue the professor). Anyways, right next to the train station where that weird overhead camera shot happens there is a house that has windows all around, but no enterable door. Right next to it is a tower that you can climb, then traverse across the pipe to the roof of the house. There will be a hole in the roof that leads to a part of the house with some electric anomalies, with beams criss-crossing all over. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE! If you slip either you will be killed by the anomaly, or get stuck in the pit below and have to kill yourself. Use the beams carefully and save often, and you should see an enterance to the unwreaked part of the house you could see in the windows. Make your way over there using the beams. Once there search all the rooms, and one of them will have a chest with the SEVA armour in it. This armour is amazing, and will last you to the end of the games with no problems at all. Keep in mind I have no idea whether it is random loot or not, but given its such a powerful item I figured it was fixed.

Whew. Now someone try that and let me know if it works for them :)

Yeah I've gotten in there and gotten the suit before, it's pretty damn good, but make sure you have plenty of anti-rad meds as it's hot as hell in there. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you can exit through a door, however be aware there are some nasty beasties to be found loitering around that area.

also I'd say the SEVA armour is best overall. It gives pretty good protection all round.

Okay you guys, I am now in need of some help. Now that I finished STALKER vanilla style, I'm ready to patch it and mod it with Oblivion Lost. A couple of problems have arrisen:

1) My computer BSOD's everytime I try to launch the patched version. I started off with an unpatched version and installed 1.005 (The version required for Oblivion Lost 2.1.1). Should I be doing that or do I need to install some older patches first?

2) I know how to adjust the configuration file as instructed in the OL readme, but I am a bit confused as to where to extract all the game data to.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

to make artifacts have better stats I simply I put them in a anamolie ? Or am I understanding something wrong?

Didn't want to make a new thread so...

My STALKER runs like absolute shit. 1 frame a second. I've changed the settings to the lowest of the low and highest of the high and no difference noticed.

I've added -noprefetch to the command line to no avail.

I run on an 8600GT with a 4200+ FX2 dual core and 2gb of RAM so I know it isn't my hardware that's lagging behind.

I updated to 1.0006 Worldwide but nothing has changed. Even the intro movie runs like old people screw.

Halp.

to make artifacts have better stats I simply I put them in a anamolie ? Or am I understanding something wrong?

Artifacts are generated by anomaly's, but afaik you can't bulk them up further (I've never seen an option to drop one onto the other), there are simply rarer, better anomaly's that you can find.

Generally most of the pear/spearhead shaped ones are only good for selling.

I am now really enjoying the game and am at X16 and yes it really has picked up alot (although it helps that I now have plenty ammo, no weight limit and don't die all the time :p)

Yeah i admit i'm a cheat but i don't really care when i find a game's tediousness gets in the way of fun :|

*shakes head

Half the fun of the game comes from the fact it is survivalist in nature, and the levels are so large that you do have to pick your fights, and occasionally run away at times. I'm sorry but weight mods etc is a bit like tweaking Halo so you can carry more than 2 guns, it completely undermines the very strategic nature of the game.

true i do understand that and i feel bad that i am not playing the game the way it is intended to be played but it just quickly got irritating to me (I really don't like rpgs as well)

Also it seems alot of people play this with mods o_O

Dude, I'm playing Oblivion Lost right now. IT IS AMAZING!

I think its worth playing vanilla first just to see how much of an improvement the mod is.

I don't find the weight limit too small so far. I mean it makes sense that you can't carry 20 assault rifles at once.

I've only just started but one part that has annoyed me so far
I got a radio call to help some stalkers hold off a bandit attack. After I did so I realised that I had two missions completed that said I only had one day to go back and get my reward. I didn't know how long it would take me if I just pushed on so I decided to turn back. I also had some stuff I wanted to sell off and the random stalkers around the place either didn't want to buy my stuff or couldn't aford some of it.

So after shooting and running through a load more bandits I made it back to the spot where you have to go through the tunnel with the lightning anomaly or the archway with the soldiers. The first time (having only a pistol) I went through the tunnel and tried to go through the tunnel again this time as I had only one medkit left and almost no bullets for my automatic weapons and didn't want to chance a fight. It seems that the anomaly is set up so that you can only go through it from one side without getting killed. I found that really annoying. Especially because I couldn't kill all the soldiers and got my ass almost blown off as I ran through them.

Dude, I'm playing Oblivion Lost right now. IT IS AMAZING!

I think its worth playing vanilla first just to see how much of an improvement the mod is.

First time ever I'm going to take someones advice and play the game through to the end vanilla first.

Although I read every fix and all of them sound awesome, tbh.

Heh, I'm playing on the second to last difficulty on OL.

I don't find the weight limit too small so far. I mean it makes sense that you can't carry 20 assault rifles at once.

I've only just started but one part that has annoyed me so far
I got a radio call to help some stalkers hold off a bandit attack. After I did so I realised that I had two missions completed that said I only had one day to go back and get my reward. I didn't know how long it would take me if I just pushed on so I decided to turn back. I also had some stuff I wanted to sell off and the random stalkers around the place either didn't want to buy my stuff or couldn't aford some of it.

So after shooting and running through a load more bandits I made it back to the spot where you have to go through the tunnel with the lightning anomaly or the archway with the soldiers. The first time (having only a pistol) I went through the tunnel and tried to go through the tunnel again this time as I had only one medkit left and almost no bullets for my automatic weapons and didn't want to chance a fight. It seems that the anomaly is set up so that you can only go through it from one side without getting killed. I found that really annoying. Especially because I couldn't kill all the soldiers and got my ass almost blown off as I ran through them.

Firstly, you often get rescue missions where the rewards are actually the opposite direction from where you are going, if it's too much of an ass to go back to collect it in time, don't worry as it's a bit of a broken feature to the game. Certainly there is a reward waiting for you there, but you don't loose anything for not collecting your reward. The further you head into the game the less you'll feel the need to head south tbh. Once you've gotten to Rostok and the Bar, you only really need to head to the trader for the odd story driven mission or two AFAIR.

as for your situation:-

basically instead of trying to go through the tunnel, or fight your way through the army unit, reconnoiter around the left side (if you are looking South from the North side) and head up to the train carriages before the bridge, you'll be able to get through here (and back again), and if you keep your distance avoid attracting the units attention when you pass. Once you've got yourself a decent assault rifle, it's worth taking out the unit. I recommend heading up to the train carriages, dropping a couple of grenades on them from above (you can climb up onto the bridge itself), and then finishing them off with some considered shooting using an AK74. The army won't replace the troops for there for a few days which makes trips to the trader a lot easier all round. However I wouldn't recommend using the stash box at the site because they do eventually return (though you can kill them again of course). Also its worth mooching around the carriages and jumping across the bridge (save beforehand) to find various loot stashed in the train.

I recommend heading up to the train carriages, dropping a couple of grenades on them from above (you can climb up onto the bridge itself), and then finishing them off with some considered shooting using an AK74.
I did this except I was out of ammo for my automatic weapons so once I dropped the grenades I then ran in with my shotgun, killed one or two more with that, managed to raid 2 corpses and then legged it.

The first time I played, I died far too easy and it was like my guns did nothing. I got incredibly pissed off.

Then I realised I was playing it on Master difficulty, not Stalker difficulty. I don't know how that happened but I changed it and all was hunky-dory since

I <3 it so much

Okay seriously either I am playing it wrong or I just suck but I am on novice D:

wow, that actually made me lol a little. Wasn't expecting that.. I was actually expecting something along the lines of '**** you' or 'no u'.

Well played, good sir, well played.

How do I ****ing kill poltergeists?

http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Poltergeist

I never realized that you could actually kill them... I just watched for levitating objects and ran away. There's a only one or two of them in the game, anyway.

Back