seriously..wtf is wrong with these people? about evolution in schools

jverne

Reaction score
A handful of states have considered such bills in recent years, but backers are now organizing a national movement, with high-profile help from actor Ben Stein. His new documentary, "Expelled," argues that educators suffer reprisals if they dare question evolution; in an attempt to spur action, he has held private screenings for legislators, including a recent showing in the Missouri statehouse.

The academic-freedom bills now in circulation vary in detail. Some require teachers to critique evolution. Others let educators choose their approach -- but guarantee they won't be disciplined should they decide to build a case against Darwin.

The common goal: To expose more students to articles and videos that undercut evolution. Most of this material is produced by advocates of intelligent design or Biblical creationism, the belief that God created man in his present form.

Prospects may be better in Louisiana, where the state Senate this week unanimously approved a bill ensuring that teachers can go beyond the biology textbook to raise criticisms of evolution. Similar bills have just been introduced in Alabama and Michigan and this week passed through a house committee in Missouri.

The legislative push builds on an emerging strategy developed by conservative Christians who consider evolution ungodly and a small group of scientists who find it implausible

here comes the best part

So activists regrouped. Their new tactic: Embrace lessons on evolution. In fact, insist students deserve to learn more -- including classes that probe the theory for weakness. They believe -- and their opponents agree -- that this approach will prove more acceptable to the public and harder to challenge in court.

Those promoting the new bills emphasize that academic freedom doesn't mean biology teachers can read aloud from the Book of Genesis. "This doesn't bring religion into the classroom," said Florida state Rep. D. Alan Hays, a Republican.

The bills typically restrict lessons to "scientific" criticism of evolution, or require that critiques be presented "in an objective manner," or approved by a local school board.

yeah, nice way to camouflage your real intent. look science is all about questioning previously established "facts". every "theory" has its faults but you don't need a ****ing law allowing you to pursue different approaches....UNLESS...yes, you have a bible hidden in your pocket.

criticizing evolution should be legit for any sane scientist who actually has a proper alternative. teachers are getting sacked for questioning evolution because, we all know what they offer instead.

why the hell is this issue being so blown out of proportion?

maybe here lies the answer:

THE ORIGINS OF LIFE

Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin of human beings?
Man developed over millions of years from less advanced life forms: 13%
Man developed over millions of years, but God guided the process: 38%
God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years: 45%
Source: Gallup Poll of 1,016 U.S. adults, November 2004. Margin of error: +/- 3%

NA-AQ290A_CREAT_20080501182027.gif

Mr. Cowan said he tells students: "I'm going to give you the evidence for evolution and the evidence against, and let you decide." For instance, he'll mention Darwin's observation that finches evolve different-shaped beaks to suit different ecosystems. Then he'll add that you don't see a finch changing into another species.

oh boy :rolleyes:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120967537476060561.html

lol @ "high-profile help from actor Ben Stein"

Ben Stein is a ****ing moron:

Stein: When we just saw that man, I think it was Mr. [PZ] Myers, talking about how great scientists were, I was thinking to myself the last time any of my relatives saw scientists telling them what to do they were telling them to go to the showers to get gassed.

Stein (speaking about the Holocaust): …that was horrifying beyond words, and that’s where science — in my opinion, this is just an opinion — that’s where science leads you.

Crouch: That’s right.

Stein: … Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people.

criticizing evolution should be legit for any sane scientist who actually has a proper alternative.

Correction: scientists don't need an alternative theory to dismiss or criticise a flawed one.

Of course, I don't believe evolution -is- a flawed theory. But I thought you should be clear on that point.

Why do they always attack Evolution?

Why not fluid mechanics and the science of flight? Human beings can't fly, it is satanic to think that they can.

Correction: scientists don't need an alternative theory to dismiss or criticise a flawed one.

Of course, I don't believe evolution -is- a flawed theory. But I thought you should be clear on that point.

That's right, and alternative scientific theories should be taught together. Examples of this would be standard model vs. string theory in physics, Behavioralism vs. Cognitivism in psychology, and Group Selection vs. Gene Selection in biology. Students should be taught the differences between theories, and the advantages each has. This is important, because as adults, students might be entering into the scientific debate themselves.

Unfortunately, creationism and intelligent design are not alternative scientific theories, and neither is any high school science teacher's personal theological opinions. Such nonsense should be unilaterally banned from science classrooms, just as teaching children that the "alternative" to Newtonian mechanics is little magic green men pushing on things, or that the "alternative" to chemistry is alchemy.

Its also scary to ask students to make a decision based on the bit of information they get in the class. They're students for a reason, they don't know everything yet. Giving them the wrong impression about the information they're getting from the get-go is not a good way to teach.

well it is possible, but it's kind of stupid arguing on something without actually making any improvements to the topic.

lol @ "high-profile help from actor Ben Stein"

Ben Stein is a ****ing moron:

Stein was on Glenn beck today and they were talking all kinds of trash and Beck also said that Universal Health care leads to the a new Holecoust cuz germans had it back then too.:|

Back