Simon Pegg says sci-fi is dumbing down cinema

rishnnns

Sandvich
Reaction score
theguardian.com/culture/2015/may/19/simon-pegg-criticises-dumbing-down-of-cinema

Internet seems to be in an uproar about this.

Honestly though? I can't really say he's wrong.

imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

That list is practically dominated by sci-fi, animated moves and fantasy(which I would kinda lump in with sci-fi for the most part)
Basically none of them tackle serious issues in the world they're all just for fun or for the spectacle.
Like woah lasers! Aliens! Magic! Yay!
Not an awful lot of eye opening stuff about the condition of some countries/the world, crime, human nature, illness etc etc.

Of course movies that tackle things like that do exist but they're almost never really that popular, usually B or sub-A level movies not many people like because they aren't "cool" enough to be popular therefore are "uninteresting"

Is this a cause of society dumbing down? It's happening with the game industry too really.
Or is this actually dumbing society down?

Not that I'm not partial to sci-fi movies, pretty much only go to the cinema to see superhero movies anyway but still the dude isn't wrong, people care less and less about movies that tackle serious issues and more about what has the better action and bigger explosions.

Last edited by a moderator:
yet this little bitch has been in sci-fi and horror films and such that would be considered stupid himself l m a o chase the money you irrelevant f*ck

Bot be trollin', but who cares.

Sci-fi movies often have more slightly more original subtext than your 925th holocaust Oscar-bait movie.

And superhero movies are obviously sci-fi.

Bot be trollin', but who cares.

Sci-fi movies often have more slightly more original subtext than your 925th holocaust Oscar-bait movie.

And superhero movies are obviously sci-fi.
Yeah but Avengers 8 Here's Some More Magic Gems is hardly up there with The Dispossessed.

How do you know? They haven't made it yet.

Well if you count the whole series you have the hulk film, three iron man films, two captain america films, two thor films, two avengers films and guardians of the galaxy so we're almost in the teens

Back