SiN Episodes Media Update

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Again, the team at Ritual Entertainment have released some new screenshots of their latest project in development, SiN Episodes, that will be powered by Valve’s Source Engine. [br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
[br]Along with the media update, a fan-based interview was also posted at the Ritual site.[br]More information on Ritual Entertainment and the Sin Episodes can be found at their site.

Pretty cool if you ask me. Though I doubt I will be buying it, but we'll see.

I just noticed that I'm over 2'000 posts now. :O

Man. Game looks great. But whats stoping them from making the models higher detail. Its annoying to look at those screens.

I don't have any problem with the human models, but the monsters could really use a bit more detail. Otherwise good :)

Does anyone else think the last SS looks like something from the Doom 3 engine? Or, Doom 3 itself?

-smash- said:
Does anyone else think the last SS looks like something from the Doom 3 engine? Or, Doom 3 itself?

I think so. You can barely tell that it's a Source Engine game.

-smash- said:

Nah, can't be doom 3 engine, most things in that engine look like hard rubber (although Quake 4 did a great job in making that hard rubber look good).

Doesnt look anything like Doom 3.

Actually to me it all looks very Far Cry. The indoor portions with the monkeys, that is.

-smash- said:

That was exactly my thought on all the screenshots. Like someone was trying to do DOOM3 on the Source engine. Badly. :eek:

Mike

I think it looks like space invaders, j/ks

It looks good and I'd imagine the reason it isn't pushing hundreds of thousands of polygons is because Ritual have access to the Steam user base which is represented by the Valve survey, which indicates that a very large number of users have a "mediocre" (9600) or lower gpus.

is that an enemie taking cover behind a cardboard box ?
the normal map looks a bit too... uh... deep, but the leg of that monster in the first screen looks very cool :D good job guys :thumbs:

-dodo

looks like the texture artist in charge of the monster had fun going to his local butcher to take pictures of meat and other lamb nerves. looks pretty good, I agree with the low poly comments but its true that most people have an everage pc.I probably wont be bying it, not that I can afford to buy anything at the mo apart from beans and noodles.....

Feuyaino said:
Actually to me it all looks very Far Cry. The indoor portions with the monkeys, that is.
I was thinking the same. Actually those monkey things don't really look much good do they. I reckon they get my vote for the crapiest looking monsters since Far Cry ........ All the more reason to blow them away then! Monsters aside Far Cry is still the best FPS on PC :thumbs: Here's hoping for SIN: Episodes then.

I can only hope the models are lower detail, because there will be more ingame at anyone time ... which i like.

jackson said:
That was exactly my thought on all the screenshots. Like someone was trying to do DOOM3 on the Source engine. Badly. :eek:

Mike

Agreed. Source really needs someone to code in dynamic shadowing!

Angry Lawyer do it plz. :thumbs:

trigens sucked, but big boys and jumpers were the shiznitt.

meh, honestly for a payed game these are very lack. art stype between the characters and the environment is still drastically different. handpainted textures on characters deserve handpainted textures for environment.

Its great texture work, and looks like a very outdated game with weak normal mappage. I think the plasticy and DEEP look of doom 3 and fc textures is great for hand painted work and is the best thing we have going for us until we get some more complex shaders like cryengine 2 and unreal 3, that will allow for simulated sss.

bad monster design, but the soldier is really neat. man, hl2 had nothing for cool monsters, hl1 had some great monsters. I really want to see some groovy ones in source

wtf?

shadows should be a result of the absense of light. you shouldn't have numbers, you should just have shadows. if you say " im gonna cut these shadows in half, wtf does that mean? thing it didn't have was soft shadows like riddick engine has, still the best engine ive ever seen graphically fer shizzle.

anyways, sin get some SHADOWSSSSSS

Hellbound said:
Yup, too many shadows
Lol too many shadows. Those crazy lights lights making shadows! THERES JUST TOO DARN MANY OF EM'! If there's a light source..there's a shadow..you can't have TOO many, that makes no sense.

Too me the 3rd SS did have a Doom 3 atmosphere..but I felt the doom 3 engine was better graphically.

DrDevin said:
Agreed. Source really needs someone to code in dynamic shadowing!

Angry Lawyer do it plz. :thumbs:

Bugger off, it'll melt my braaainnnns!

-Angry Lawyer

polyguns said:
wtf?

shadows should be a result of the absense of light. you shouldn't have numbers, you should just have shadows. if you say " im gonna cut these shadows in half, wtf does that mean? thing it didn't have was soft shadows like riddick engine has, still the best engine ive ever seen graphically fer shizzle.

anyways, sin get some SHADOWSSSSSS
I think what he means is the lack of radiosity, lights in doom 3 were real time and the shadows were very nice but there was no light that comes off surfaces and bounces off the very reflective walls. HL2 has this becuase it's all done during compile.

I really think this game looks like shit, i was expecting something much more visually impressive. The best way i can describe the look of it is 'flat', and i think that everything i have ever seen produced on source suffers from that to a certain extent :( Oh well maybe the gameplay will redeem it, thats the most important thing afterall.

polyguns said:
trigens sucked, but big boys and jumpers were the shiznitt.
Yeah, The jumpers were great. Really cool enemies always overlooked when Fsr Cry bashing by HL2 fan boys. They looked nasty & were very challenging enemies. Great A.I. I thought as well. The way they used to bound all over the place to different areas of the map - Like in Rebellion when you first pop out, try to shoot one & in 2 bounds he's 50M away on the top of a sniper tower!! Brilliant ............. I'm digressing. Sorry!

Art style between the characters and the environment is still drastically different. handpainted textures on characters deserve handpainted textures for environment.
Good point. There was something i couldnt put my finger on when lookin at those pics but you've got it. Everything looks good (except those really piss poor monsters) but it doesn't quite work together. It's like a more cartoon style for the characters with HL2 backgrounds. It doesn't really work at all in this respect. HL2's gritty, realistic textures & locations require equally realistic & believable characters.

HL2's look is just about the best of any game I've seen I reckon. I always thought that about the HL games. Especially the caharacters. For starters they are realisticlly sized as opposed to the usual male characters that look they spend half their time down the gym & the other half at a gay pride march! Then you have the female characters that have breasts so large they should come with a government health warning!

Tell me, when the hell did gamers get the right to be critics of things they don't make?

Back