So Facebook bought OculusVR.

...you do let them perform rape surgery on you all. Perhaps they promised you riches, waving that 100 dollar bill under your nose.......

Did I miss something? Have all corporations suddenly appointed Cave Johnson as their elected-for-life leader?

Guys, I actually work for Facebook. Clan Wolf 2 sees through all our lies. You're all ****ed.

Just to make things interesting why don't I play devil's advocate here:

You don't necessarily know that facebook will screw it up or even cram it full of ads. I mean look at instagram, (yes I realize some of you might not have one, so pay attention) Facebook paid 1 billion....1 freakin' BILLION for it, and its still completely free, not only that, theres little to no advertising on it. And if you look at the grand scheme of things, facebook really hasn't changed instagram at all. It's still doing exactly what it was doing before.....in fact buying instagram changed facebook more than instagram, now you can hashtag on facebook (not saying thats a good thing or anything, but my point is facebook didnt screw up instagram) I'm one to think ....well they did kind of take a (s*** on its donaters, but that this acquisition could me great things for us as a consumer.

While we're on it, what the **** is Instagram anyways? As far as I can tell from cursory glances, its an app the lets you send poorly edited photos to people. Can't people's smartphones do that out of the box?

While we're on it, what the **** is Instagram anyways? As far as I can tell from cursory glances, its an app the lets you send poorly edited photos to people. Can't people's smartphones do that out of the box?

Its a facebook new feed where you can only send pictures with captions. captions, stories post by them self you can't do. But thats beside the point. It was the exact same before facebook and after facebook.

sorry to be an ass, however this compression of the market gets worse and worse, we give into it and all get the same bandwagon.
Facebook acquisitions are buying up all the services that i once liked even though there is not much effect as a result (which isnt the point) there's no choice but to sell your service and let them become our gods, no thanks i want to operate/consume in a environment that is free to be you and me and as this guy below who comment said from gamesindustry.biz, 'Corp culture always invades' and it eventually will. Might be 10 years from now, or less alot can change for facebook, who are a public company and things do change for p/c

comment from gamesindustry.biz

I am afraid of a few things from this, well perhaps more than a few

1) What happens when the market finally pops and corrects itself and FB goes back to the teens ( where it probably belongs)
2) What are the expectations of Oculus now, does it become like a AAA game and if it doesnt sell enormous numbers right out the gate is it a failure?
3) With regard to the above, I think VR regardless of who releases it is going to need at least a year or two for the techies, nerds, and gamers to embrace it, they/we will be the community that tries it first, and then showcases it to the rest of the world. There is no way VR just pops out on the shelves and mom and grandmom facebookers are gonna buy it. This is where I think Oculus might have really blown it, techies/nerds.gamers arent gonna be thrilled to embrace a facebook anything. Big win for Sony here.
4) Corp culture always invades, I dont believe for a minute that Oculus will the same company it was 2 years from now.
5) Facebook, I dont want anything to do with it and that sentiment is only growing among people it seems.

I mean if Oculus was already released and had gained it foothold in gaming and VR was a nerdy but real thing, if it was say a few years from now and Oculus saw it was running up against market penetration due to lack of funds/reach etc.. then , perhaps then I would see the reason to merge with a larger corp, but Valve, even google or microsoft etc would of sat better with me.

I hope for the best but I fear the worst. All I know is a few days ago Oculus was the most exciting tech in my mind, now I find myself looking for VR solutions elsewhere.

"And there will be others, oculus will never be only one and it will go beyond sony vr, google glasses (hardly a vr) n whatever dog shit microsoft thinks up'

This deal has had a stirred affect on geeks/industry ppl everywhere......the lines in the sands have been distinguished.......example i side with notch, stand up for what you believe in!'

i'll back something like this now the Razer VR .....we'll see
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...lp-mojang-with-virtual-reality-minecraft.aspx

then theres the

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...tex-headset-aims-for-holodeck-experience.aspx

rather keep my intergrity intact and not be a sell out like palmer plenty of other fish in the sea.

Juilan Assange was asked whats the difference between him and mark zuckerberg......

“What are the differences between Mark Zuckerberg and me? I give private information on corporations to you for free, and I’m a villain.

Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he’s Man of the Year.” – Julian Assange

google the image, Julian_Assange_vs_Mark_Zuckerberg

Juilan Assange was asked whats the difference between him and mark zuckerberg......

“What are the differences between Mark Zuckerberg and me? I give private information on corporations to you for free, and I’m a villain.

Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he’s Man of the Year.” – Julian Assange

google the image, Julian_Assange_vs_Mark_Zuckerberg

Yeah, you already posted that. You've made it clear what your feelings for facebook are. Nobody is forcing you to give your information to facebook, and you won't need to to use the Rift.

You're supporting greedy corporations with almost every mass produced thing you buy or service you subscribe to. It's unavoidable. Get over it.

All business have the goal of making money. The best we can hope for is that the people have a passion for what they're doing. I see no evidence against, and all evidence for the Oculus team being very passionate about what they're doing. I'd be happy to support them, even if it means supporting facebook too.

Can I just say, that almost all of the the times companies have been bought out, it always go to shit? Not just minus in profit or bankruptcy, that's bad too. But I'm talking more about misdirection and limitations on their work.​
I'm not saying that things will go wrong, but don't exclude the possibilities that it could go wrong.​

Can I just say, that almost all of the the times companies have been bought out, it always go to shit?​

I'd bet that its not nearly as bad as you think. If either one of us wasn't too lazy to look for actual data, I bet we'd find that most companies turn out just fine. For anecdotal evidence, the company I work for was bought by a bigger company, and its significantly better now for both us and our customers in that we got the resources to finally implement some new ideas we had been thinking of, which we were just sitting on before.​

Well it's a question if Facebook is ready to lead Oculus instead of just looting it. It's just my personal opinion, but I just can't understand the fact that Facebook just bought Oculus VR for 2 billion bucks out of the blue. Google have bought millions of companies, but to support it's original idea. If you look at all the companies bought by Google, their all related to internet security, browsing, search engines and other miscellaneous things related to the core idea of Google. The same with Facebook.

But what the hell? Facebook just decided to buy a gaming company that desings VR goggles for some reason. Facebook have some games, but nothing that require full 3D immersion. It just feels so dumb to me.

Some companies, EA for an example, buy other companies like food and water. But they buy companies that support EA, and their game manufacturing at least. They don't buy stuff not related to them. For example, What if EA just decided to buy Myspace and boot it up again. That would be one of the most silliest things ever. And then I return to this question:

What can Oculus possibly help Facebook with? And don't tell me that it's good for communicating. The whole idea of Facebook is that it's free. Not that it costs 300$ to say "Hi" to a friend, or visit someones virtual game room.

What can Oculus possibly help Facebook with? And don't tell me that it's good for communicating. The whole idea of Facebook is that it's free. Not that it costs 300$ to say "Hi" to a friend, or visit someones virtual game room.

Are you even thinking about what you're saying?

Facebook wants to pioneer the concept of virtual reality social interaction. They saw an opportunity in Oculus and are going for it. What doesn't make sense about that?

What the **** does "The whole idea of Facebook is that it's free" mean? That's not the "idea" of Facebook. That's just one of the reasons it's used by so many people. The whole idea of Facebook is connecting people, and sharing ideas and media.

It's not like they can give out expensive VR goggles for free. Where do you get this rule that everything Facebook does has to be free? That certainly isn't the case, just look at FB games with all the premium options.

Facebook will create a new social experience with VR that people can choose to participate in by buying the necessary hardware. Same as the concept of buying a smart phone over a regular phone to experience all that they offer. What part doesn't make sense to you?

I just sold my original OR dev kit.

I'm going to get a DK2, I made a profit on the original one, so I'm all good. Got to move house first, though.

You still working with Hammer or moved on to bigger and better?

Are you even thinking about what you're saying?

Facebook wants to pioneer the concept of virtual reality social interaction. They saw an opportunity in Oculus and are going for it. What doesn't make sense about that?

What the **** does "The whole idea of Facebook is that it's free" mean? That's not the "idea" of Facebook. That's just one of the reasons it's used by so many people. The whole idea of Facebook is connecting people, and sharing ideas and media.

It's not like they can give out expensive VR goggles for free. Where do you get this rule that everything Facebook does has to be free? That certainly isn't the case, just look at FB games with all the premium options.

Facebook will create a new social experience with VR that people can choose to participate in by buying the necessary hardware. Same as the concept of buying a smart phone over a regular phone to experience all that they offer. What part doesn't make sense to you?

VOICED BY A HORRIBLE CRACKLING LOW QUALITY MICROPHONE SNOB TURN DOWN HEADSETS

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1cOPuIKxNQN

You still working with Hammer or moved on to bigger and better?

I'm working with Unity at the moment, but on AR not games. I'm looking at diving into UE4 for a (relatively) simple VR project.

I agree with the idea of Facebook, but let me rephrase. Accesible, not free. Smartphones are accesible, because they can be found everywhere, and are produced by a lot of companies. The Oculus Rift could be a problem when it comes to that. Being able to convince all the production people that the item is going to be succesfull, is a bit difficult. They don't want to waste ressources on something so risky.

Think that Oculus Rift, is going to as ground breaking as the Smartphone? Let me make a comparison between Smartphones and the Oculus Rift.

Smartphones are used to browse, play and watch movies/videos. And then there is a bunch of apps you can mess around with. Because Smartphones can do so many things, there is a chance of a bigger demographic liking the product, resulting in a larger profit. A taste for everybody.

However the Oculus Rift can immerse you more into a virtual world. It might bring some new gameplay mechanics, but that's it. And on top of that, it's more expensive than a cheap Smartphone.

Oculus Rift is also priotizing it's direction to Gaming. Facebook is just a mere asset to Oculus Rift, as the millions of apps on the Smartphone. It's not going to be bought, because of Facebook. It's going to be bought, because of the added immersion to games.

That's what doesn't make sense to me. The complete risk Facebook is taking to try and make this product mainstream. It's not going to work, because it's been designed as a luxury gaming accesory, and the price shows that. It's not an accesible piece of hardware for the everyday consumer. It's just as expensive as a bloody console.

If Facebook want's the Oculus Rift to be mainstream and not a giant flop, they'l have to pour a bunch of work and money into it. They'll also have to make the hardware cheaper, if they wan't to work things out.

Just a personal opinion, not saying that this will happen.

Lol, Abrash just joined Oculus as chief scientist.

Edit. Pretty good first purchase with their new cash flow I suppose.

The only part of this development that worries me is that with Facebook backing Oculus may become overly dominant in the VR market and we'd have a near-monopoly with limited innovation. Opportunists could well see Facebook's move and seek to emulate it, though band-waggoners could do more harm than good if we're unlucky.

Still, no reason to panic.

Edit: Oh, and apparently Abrash has left Valve for Oculus and is pleased at the Facebook buyout:
http://kotaku.com/valves-top-vr-expert-jumps-to-oculus-1553788613

I really liked this video talking about it, I feel like he was pretty fair and kept an open mind. (minus the video name)

Its pretty funny, john malkovich lines are superb. n if u look related videos, funny or die vids are good and have actors do them, such as samuel jackson, bryan cranston.

Duno if this was posted already, duno and don't care.

To me this was the definition of betrayal, heres why.
i felt betrayed by OR/palmer mainly because they didn't bring their plight to anyone, they had a responsibility to the kickstarter backers to openly communicate the situation they were facing. But no, they just pulled the rug under our feet and sold to facebook.

Essentially it was how palmer conducted himself, prior to agreeing to selling to FB. He should of known gamers are not fans of FB, would not appreciate such a sale but also he should of known that by not even simply giving us fair warning even a days worth prior to selling....he simply just did it. He had a responsibility to say something like;

'hey listen gang, OR is facing a tough future we need to do something drastic to ensure we will come thru this on top. We are considering who to sell too, who do you think we should sell too? OR is after all a company that was founded on kickstarter so i must give you guys the benefit of the doubt and trust your judgement' and from there it is conducted. But no. After pulling the rug from under us, he then goes on reddit to ask us to trust him still.

This will go down as the betrayal of 2014, mainly because i don't see anyone else with that much money involved (not real money, only some of it) to do worse. Its justified because they hadn't said sorry to the community about not saying a word. Therefore i will not support Oculus anymore, am sorry but you betrayed us and sold us out.

Don't need oculus as there are options and now those have my trust

(note plz carmack n abrash have my utmost respect and the decisions they made are theirs, i wish them well for the future)

There will come a time soon where Facebook will go bust, they have more stock than they do actual capital.......everyone thinks they buy out companies for billion here or 2 billion there, but not really......stock isn't a real thing, its not something you cannot cash in on and FB have a lot of it and they are weaker than you know. Its why they are buying up companies, to ensure their future and to stay ontop of the trends of social networking....OR was a threat to them and now it is theirs.

Also don't doubt this is over, more stuff will come out of the woodwork.

I put it too you, how would you feel if FB bought your favourite Games Studio??? (preferably the little ones) like facepunch (rust) or bohomia interactive........and there will be a time when they have broken down enough barriers to do that, so question where do you go from there? larger, more popular places.....i cannot deny FB now sees Valve as their competitor from the other side of the spectrum and looks at it with envious eyes and greed.

It has been interesting to watch, read so many industry columns. Those for and against, those who bitch about it on facebook itself, lol that was the irony of 2014 if there was one. Hopefully this ecposure (keybroke) will get FB users to look at themselves in the mirror and go yep time to push off from FB. Being one of the 4 major social plugins, it is the least liked.

Anyways its done, am over it......moving on...........goat simulator y u no show price? n FRACT OSC y u no show release date?

'hey listen gang, OR is facing a tough future we need to do something drastic to ensure we will come thru this on top. We are considering who to sell too, who do you think we should sell too?
Yes, I can totally picture them asking the internet which company to sell OR to, despite the fact that nobody outside of OR would have any ****ing idea which companies offered what to them. This isn't a ****ing popularity contest. A company does not ask its fans to make huge business decisions, or even influence them. Previous deals from companies people like were rejected because they either weren't enough money, or wanted to take over development. Facebook came along with a promise to leave OR in charge of their vision, as well as offer a huge sum of money that makes everything they hope to do possible.

he then goes on reddit to ask us to trust him still.
What a bastard. He should have just kept quiet and not tried to reassure the irrational masses. That would have played much better.

You keep throwing around this word "betrayed" as if you have actually lost anything here. The opposite has happened. OR has guaranteed you as a backer that everything and more that you were promised when the project was pitched will be fulfilled. But no, you don't like Facebook, so you want to call it a betrayal to mask the irrationality of your reaction.

There will come a time soon where Facebook will go bust
Again with this nonsense. Do you view Facebook as more financially unstable than any other company that could have purchased OR? Honest question, because that's the only way your point would make sense.

OR was a threat to them and now it is theirs.
rofl

I put it too you, how would you feel if FB bought your favourite Games Studio???
Confused, because it wouldn't make much sense. OR makes sense, because I can see VR becoming the next big thing in online social interaction and media.
If FB did have a legit reason to purchase one of my favorite game studios, and also promised not to interfere with the studio's original vision, I would probably be happy as long as that promise is kept. I would know that the studio did what was best for them. I trust them on that level. Their passion is making games, and if FB threatened to interfere with that, they would not have sold.

Clan Wolf, I'm honestly curious what you think is going to happen to the Oculus Rift now that facebook owns it. Do you think that Oculus is lying about them still having full control over the Rift? Working under the assumption that they are, what direction do you think Facebook is going to take the Rift, and what about that direction makes you so upset?

He's going to start blurfing about his "feels" or some other nonsense any time now.

This is actually getting kind of sad. It's also pretty indicative of where/how I think Valve went wrong and why they should have stayed out of the hardware market altogether.

This is actually getting kind of sad. It's also pretty indicative of where/how I think Valve went wrong and why they should have stayed out of the hardware market altogether.

Some people were saying the same thing about their foray into the software distribution market in the early days of Steam. Valve take risks, which sometimes pay off. Massively.

Whether their VR experiment will be useful to them or not remains to be seen. I never assumed they were interested in the hardware of VR. Perhaps they already have what they need for SteamOS api design or some software malarky.

How the Steam Controller pans out also remains to be seen, but I won't count them out yet.

Back