So Facebook bought OculusVR.

MFL

AlbatrossofTime
Reaction score
Hmm.

Wonder how that affects their relationship with Valve.

I wonder when Facebook will send it's army of virtual soldiers to defeat Google's immortal robot army.

Technically with VR integration, Facebook is The Matrix.

Edit. *looks at armwatch* let's see, Sony revealed their model yesterday... anyone want to start a pool for a timetable on reveal of the Valve prototype?

Well this is a downer. I was hoping Oculus would restart a software race to meet the promise of new hardware, the way it worked in the Doom days.

Yeah, I just read that facebook will get it, and the first thing i thought of was: "How is this going to affect valve"

Why the f*** did Facebook decide they should get into gaming hardware?

They see an opportunity.

lol rip

Technically with VR integration, Facebook is The Matrix.

Edit. *looks at armwatch* let's see, Sony revealed their model yesterday... anyone want to start a pool for a timetable on reveal of the Valve prototype?

Hope it's not as stupid seeming as the controller.

Why the f*** did Facebook decide they should get into gaming hardware?

It's not the gaming aspect Zuckerberg will be looking at. It will be integrating VR into social media with a healthy dose of advertising intergration as well.

That's not to say Oculus would ditch their gaming side, the company presumably will remain an independent entity like some of Facebook's other acquisitions. Although it would be funny to say John Carmack now works for Facebook. Doomville incoming 2015.

I could not imagine what Zuckerberg wants with the Oculus Rift...

I know a lot of people are treating it like the end of the world, but I am not that worried yet. I guess if they created some kind of Nvidia Experience style thing that required a Facebook account and advertising to use.. then that would be pretty terrible, but that doesn't seem likely right now.

All I care about is the hardware, and if the device itself is unaffected then I couldn't give a monkeys who owns the company.

..although they might be secretly planning to beam subliminal Farmville advertising directly into our retinas at an undetectable frame rate.. make us all into Manchurian Candidate zombies.. overthrow the government.. push Zoidberg's agenda for global lobster domination and eventually charge us a monthly fee for breathable air.. the goddess of light shall enter through the lens.. kumbaya.. hakuna matata.. space aliens.. greys.. crocodile babies beneath the airport.. kennedy.. moon landings.. tin foil.. etc..

I know a lot of people are treating it like the end of the world, but I am not that worried yet. I guess if they created some kind of Nvidia Experience style thing that required a Facebook account and advertising to use.. then that would be pretty terrible, but that doesn't seem likely right now.

All I care about is the hardware, and if the device itself is unaffected then I couldn't give a monkeys who owns the company.

..although they might be secretly planning to beam subliminal Farmville advertising directly into our retinas at an undetectable frame rate.. make us all into Manchurian Candidate zombies.. overthrow the government.. push Zoidberg's agenda for global lobster domination and eventually charge us a monthly fee for breathable air.. the goddess of light shall enter through the lens.. kumbaya.. hakuna matata.. space aliens.. greys.. crocodile babies beneath the airport.. kennedy.. moon landings.. tin foil.. etc..

If we look at this realistically, then their going to turn it into crap. Theres no way they bought Oculus for 2 billion dollars and won't change a thing on it. Prepare for Zuckerberg.

CONGRATULATIONS, *subliminal FarmVille ad* YOU *subliminal Candy Crush ad* JUST *subliminal Top Eleven ad* LEARNED *subliminal Criminal Case ad* HOW *subliminal Dead Trigger 2 ad* TO *subliminal Farm Heroes ad* MOVE *subliminal Pet Rescue ad* YOUR *subliminal Papa Pear ad* HEAD *subliminal Mark Zuckerberg propaganda* AROUND!
Would you like to share this with your friends?

YES

NO (please wait 30 seconds)

I was gonna buy it but my tastes are pretty niche...

... I mean space sims damn it.

Be honest, guys. None of you were going to buy this thing anyway.
Didn't Pi Mu Rho buy a dev kit for it? Probably the only reason he hasn't posted here yet is because he's looking at virtual titties in his Oculus, and Facebook hasn't integrated the nipple covering advertisements yet.

My brother has a Dev Kit One and I was one click away from going with Dev Kit Two, but I decided to wait for the consumer release.

It really suits the kind of cockpit simulators I like to play as I have never really been sold on Track IR.

Didn't Pi Mu Rho buy a dev kit for it? Probably the only reason he hasn't posted here yet is because he's looking at virtual titties in his Oculus, and Facebook hasn't integrated the nipple covering advertisements yet.

Pi is in a gimp suit next to Munro in my basement.

I could not imagine what Zuckerberg wants with the Oculus Rift...

Virtual reality should prove a huge step up from text based communication. If I remember correctly, someone at the Steam Dev Days mentioned that the Oculus provided a 'visceral' communication experience.

It's a disappointing thing, it turns out palmer had always it turns out had liked facebook style of social communications, for him he thinks its a good plan esp for the long term.

Just when you thought you knew somebody they take a buy out...its a worrying thought. Like say if facepunch studio's of garrys mod n RUST got bought out by facebook or someone equally worse.

Would they sell out? Maybe.......duno about garry newman all too well, all i know is he's loves what he does and loves he's own projects and company and works like valve. I suppose if the right amount of pressure was there on him (this is an ecample, key nect to c is stuffed).

The sum of all fears of kickstarter backed projects - only to take a buy out later, very worrying and ain't anything we can do to prevent that.

Look put aside the buy out for a minute.......oculus rift could of and should stayed of independent, its best the form of freedom to do your thing. They were doing well, 70,000 pre-orders at $300-350 each that's 20-30 million, pretty good for being your own company and not ruled by others and the gaming/internet head of the curve community and industry developers are satisfied with that arrangement because it means encouragement of more ppl doing their own thing. WE were happy and respected them, respected pamler for his work. And what is so great about it, is he got in on the ground floor of the new technology.....first to do it, first to do extremely well, first to get the respect of the community, his Heisenberg everyone will come to him for taste , But now its all so messy.

So anyway for whatever reason he just had to sell it, why go for the highest bidder? or at least in this case the bidder that offered the most at this stage. I wished VALVE had been the one, thinking 'oh thats total valve move' but it actaully isnt, they owned other companys before its not their style.

But say if they did, offered alot less obviously............200-300 million and you would have the respect or even more so of the community and with the promise to not to interfere as valve would just let do their thing, everyone would of been happy. It would of been awesome to see john carmack instead, work for VALVE finally and not power hungry FACEBOOK.

He went for the highest bidder that is the worst company possible, instead the best company for the lowest amount or near lowest 200-300 is alot, pretty sure VALVE could of pulled that off.

So yeah its disappointing, i think palmer created this mess, he needs to clean it up, on reddit earlier fanning out the fires with the millions in cash in your hand is not good enough. As you will just loose control of the situation.

palmer needs to start to fic (key broke) refund the kickstarter pre orders all of them, i calc there is about 10-20 million of lost product sales there. So he made 300 million (1.6bil in stock, which is 1.67 million facebook shares at a avg of $60.00 each) He can afford to do this.

Its not all over yet, facebook will eventually announce their plans for oculus, even though they promise not to interfere at all.......no one believes that.

So sure palmer had the love and respect of the community for his work, he took a buyout that is soo over the top and makes him look greedy. When the market crashes again and again n it will in a few years, facebook as of now is peaking, few years time it will be dropping fast and then market crash then those shares would be worth hardly anything.

Palmer said he plans to put most of it in the development of the VR, so in a few years when all of that is dried up and consumers like us are not interested any more as its quite clear their other contenders who just got way more attractive (sony VR) no buyout money left, no consumers and no community support because when he does go off to do something new and he will in a few years he will want to reengage our trust.......and we won't be around to support him as he cannot be trusted after this. So with that in mind, where will palmer be then?

Oculus Rift is Dead, don't want anything to do with facebook tainting

Vegeta strikes again!

I pre ordered the DK2 about a week ago and I still don't have any regrets.

Facebook buying OculusVR doesnt really change my opinion on vr but we will see. But if Facebok starts
making drastic changes then I'll be kinda pissed. If not I don't care

"lol yeh" but your post is exactly the kind of reaction I'm talking about.

Refund KS preorders? Why? Everyone is getting or has already got exactly what they were promised.

Went for the highest bidder, the worst company possible? No, not at all. From Palmer's mouth, they accepted Facebook's offer because they promised not to interfere with where he wanted to take it. Companies like Microsoft are far more likely to want to yank control out of Oculus's hands and do things their own way. Facebook's virtually nonexistent involvement in the hardware industry is what makes this safer. I'm sorry that you don't believe that, and that you can't provide a single good reason to not believe it other than emotions and "**** facebook!"

"Palmer said he plans to put most of it in the development of the VR, so in a few years when all of that is dried up and consumers like us are not interested any more..."

I'm sorry, but, if you honestly think this is what is going to happen, how on earth would it have been a better scenario for Oculus not being acquired? This even directly contradicts an earlier part of your post. "They were doing well." If they were doing well with the comparatively tiny amount of money they had before the buyout, how exactly are things going to get worse for them financially, now? This acquisition, if anything, ensures that Oculus will not die any time soon.

This blog says it well. Oculus could not have made VR the next big thing in the world without a move like this. Making VR relevant outside of gaming is the only way it's ever going to catch on. It's why VR has failed to take off for so many years. This is the first step into the mainstream, and it is necessary for the successful future of VR.

Edit: More succinct list of reasons everyone needs to chill the **** out, and see the good side: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/EMcNeill...aybe_You_Could_Stop_Freaking_Out_About_It.php

VR and the possibilities isnt what i take away from this, i couldn't care less. For me its principle. which i will list.

- palmer is a greedy sell out, like the rest of those who were great but now have fallen

- turns out kickstarter backing is just there to start companies/ideas just to be scooped up by mega companies like fb n apple n microsoft (generally all american companies that have too much bloody money, except VALVE (only nice one left). Which is a worrying thought.

- speculative but fb may go later 'ohhh i like that acquisition.....lets try another in the gaming sector, lets try facepunch studios (RUST), 15 employees run like a mini VALVE oohh whats is VALVE, we must look into that! ' the bottom wont drop until huge amounts is lost, where it ends is hard to say.

- The higher you go in power/profits whatever shows your at the top of food chain / up there with the other big companies, then you eventually fall.........and then whos there to pick you up because i'll only be there to take you out while your too broken and weak to get back up again. For a public company, this is certain.

- sick n tired of these mega american companies allowed to swell to the enormous size they are allowed to do, it makes perfect sense to why they RUN EVERYTHING and influence political leaders (not a paranoia, look it up) generally saying they have too much power esp over the little companies. I'd hate to see my favourite companies like VALVE somehow get pressured into giving up their business service and sell it all, last of the greats have fallen then.

- i dont trust facebook, i dont care for facebook. I dont care for all the services they own. I just want them to **** off. reading that article link, being reminded they own instatagram......just that nothing to do with effect it has on those sub companies under the corporation tree. Just that they have to BUY UP EVERYTHING! kill the competition..........control. They all have too much of it.

- Its ****ing annoying to hear americans bitch about how these companies rob them of their tacs (keybroke), the laws are too outdated to handle these companies they are have gotten so smart they avoid taces (keybroke), n screw workers out of their freedom

- corporations rule the world and we are too gutless to stand up to say no to their bullshit

- not saying your retardedly blind to the fact, but you do let them perform rape surgery on you all. Perhaps they promised you riches, waving that 100 dollar bill under your nose.......

- so recapping greed is apparently good and your all drinking from the same kool aid

this pic is a good representation of that greed

http://medieninitiative.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/assange_zuckerberg.jpg

generally all american companies that have too much bloody money, except VALVE (only nice one left)
Adorable.

How is Facebook killing competition by buying Oculus? If Facebook had a VR solution of their own, then that would make sense. Instead, they're bringing Oculus the level of funding that bigger companies will have with their own VR competition. Oculus wouldn't be able to compete with Sony and Valve on their own.

Your post does nothing more but continue to preach "**** facebook, **** corporate america." It's still not a valid argument. You're welcome not to trust Facebook, but you're insisting on horrible things happening that we have no reason to believe other than the idea that a company you dislike is incapable of doing anything good for anyone. I can't gaurantee you that Oculus will fulfill what they're promising, but I tend to side with the rationality of what they say over the irrationality of hating something because a company's name is on it. The acquisition intends to be (and is perfectly capable of being) mutually beneficial. Facebook can use VR for their own things, and continue to financially support Oculus with the same goals they've always had, except even better.

lol internet notchbeards are IRATE about this. it's ****ing hilarious.

Clan Wolf 2, I might agree with some of your points if they weren't presented in a manner reminiscent of a sentient donkey high on pcp screamin bloody murder on the streetcorner.

Clan Wolf 2, I might agree with some of your points if they weren't presented in a manner reminiscent of a sentient donkey high on pcp screamin bloody murder on the streetcorner.

You're overstating their degree of articulation.

- turns out kickstarter backing is just there to start companies/ideas

This is all that Kickstarter has ever been for, and anything that happens with the company/product after its been brought into existence is up to the company's owner(s). To have ever thought anything else of Kickstarter exposes a serious misunderstanding of the entire idea. This part of that Giant Bomb article puts it plainly:

Every time you back a Kickstarter project, this should be how you feel: "that could be cool, I hope it works out." That's it.

You're entitled to nothing more than that, and to fall into believing you're owed more than that is naivete.

VR and the possibilities isnt what i take away from this, i couldn't care less. For me its principle. which i will list.

- palmer is a greedy sell out, like the rest of those who were great but now have fallen

- turns out kickstarter backing is just there to start companies/ideas just to be scooped up by mega companies like fb n apple n microsoft (generally all american companies that have too much bloody money, except VALVE (only nice one left). Which is a worrying thought.

http://medieninitiative.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/assange_zuckerberg.jpg

In what way is Valve a nice company? Leaving your fans hanging for almost a decade is pretty ****ing shitty in my book

Back