some newb questions about editing and maps

PsychoJim

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Totally new to the game, have a couple of questions about game editing and maps. I have the Orange Box version of Half-Life.

I've started to work through the valve hammer world editor tutorials and am in the process of making my own maps.
I was wondering if there are some pre-built maps in the game that I could load/import into the editor, to see an example of how a complex map might be put together, and also whether I can then build on these.

Secondly, I downloaded some maps from the site "The Whole Half-Life", where do I now put these map files so that I can access them from the game or the editor? Furthermore, many of these were Half-Life 1 maps, will these work in Half-Life 2?

Thanks!

This isn't really a very active site when it comes to modding and mapping I'm afraid :(

Well I'll try to answer some questions?

I was wondering if there are some pre-built maps in the game that I could load/import into the editor, to see an example of how a complex map might be put together, and also whether I can then build on these.
There should be some uncompiled maps taken from HL2 somewhere in the SDK when you go to open a map with Hammer. They shouldn't be hard to find, just snoop around. They're .vmf files I believe.

Secondly, I downloaded some maps from the site "The Whole Half-Life", where do I now put these map files so that I can access them from the game or the editor? Furthermore, many of these were Half-Life 1 maps, will these work in Half-Life 2?
Yeah no, those are not going to work. I'm not entirely sure what the process of converting HL1 maps to HL2 would be, but I doubt it's even worth it.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know anywhere I could download pre-existing half-life 2 maps?

What I really need are ones with just the landscape/terrain, so the player can just freely explore, rather than one that's already been set up to run like a game, with events and functions already built in, would there be any such kinds of map available anywhere?

Thanks!

Back