Someone has "proof" I'm hacking

KennyJC

Reaction score
I get accused of hacking all the time. Headshot someone a few times and they will call you a hacker. Except this time the person claims to have "proof".

Let me first say that I don't hack and have never hacked.

So this person apparently specced me, and claims that I was actually killing people (I was a sniper) who were out of my line of sight. Apparently he thinks I am actually shooting through walls.

I mean, is that even possible? Is there even a hack that allows you to shoot through walls?

Normally I wouldn't give a shit about this kind of thing, but I just started playing this server and there aren't many good Lazytown servers around, so I don't want to get banned from it. He is apparently going to send a video of me "shooting through walls" to the admins.

Is it a spectator glitch or a lag glitch? I've specced snipers before and noticed that they kill people when the dot isn't even anywhere near their body. At first that made me think that the sniper was hacking, until of course that I noticed it was happening with every sniper I specced and assumed it was a glitch in the game.

If it happens so often don't let it get to you, probably just another one of those guys claiming your hacking because you're better then them.

There's always inconsistencies when spectating. Snipers don't show the charge meter, spies don't show an accurate cloak meter, etcetera.
Spec a sniper killing cloaked spies, and then there's a problem.

If the admins fall for it, they do not even deserve your presence on the server in the first place.

I wouldn't worry about it. Server admins receive a lot of videos like this. If you're cheating it's extremely obvious, and I'm sure that they know what it would actually look like.

I've never heard of a hack that allows you to "shoot through walls". If the vulnerability is there in the first place (for example, you can shoot through doors and walls in some areas of most CS maps), then a wallhack would allow you to do so as it would allow you see where other players were. But other than that I really don't think a hack to let you shoot through "unshootable" walls is even possible.

I accuse people of hacking all the time! :D, im a pro at it. Take it from me though, the thing that hurts me most when i accuse someone is when they say "Thanks" :(, because then it mean it doesnt bother them and my evil plan of slander fails :(

You can't shoot through walls in TF2. Splash damage may seem to get around corners in some cases but that's about it. Lag/packet loss-induced partial desync may cause the observer to see things like that.

Just ignore them. Don't say a word to them. That worked well until all the 12 year olds invaded Counter-Strike...

I think it's a common TF2/lag related phenomenon where you can shoot people right before they take cover, and it looks like you can shoot around corners and walls using the sniper rifle. I've shot someone, then had the shot register when they ran away for cover. The same has happened to me, too. :(

This is my standard reply to accusations of hacking (which doesn't happen often its not like I am a remarkable player)

"I do not pay attention to accusations of hacking from anyone whose score is lower than mine. Sorry. But this is the internet and it is filled with babies."

This covers about 99% of all hacking accusations because it always comes from someone who is doing worse than you.

I think it's a common TF2/lag related phenomenon where you can shoot people right before they take cover, and it looks like you can shoot around corners and walls using the sniper rifle. I've shot someone, then had the shot register when they ran away for cover. The same has happened to me, too. :(

That'd be lag compensation and quirky interpolation. There's nothing that can be really done to it. All the CS players may suggest fiddling ticks/rates at this point but guess what, at most you just remove interpolation (which is not desired) by doing that and that's it.

I refuse to beleive TF2 is anything like CS.

Because even if you suck, you will still do horrible.

Wait that's not even true, I get critted by clueless idiots all the time. :hmph:

hitboxes....

you can be shot "through a wall" if you are close enough to it because your hitbox will clip through it. also when you are running,your hitbox is a few feet ahead of you so this "hacking" thing isnt hacking at all.

/end thread

hitboxes....

you can be shot "through a wall" if you are close enough to it because your hitbox will clip through it. also when you are running,your hitbox is a few feet ahead of you so this "hacking" thing isnt hacking at all.

/end thread

No nono no no nononononono.

Only thing that affects the hitboxes is interpolation (or the lack of it) which. If there's a wall, there's a wall. Hitboxes don't go outside the player main hitbox which keeps player from walking partly into walls and thus would push their hitboxes outside the surrounding walls. This did happen in Counter-Strike betas which is from where this whole "omgwagd theirr dem hitboxes k" thing started. CS has an incredibly large legacy on online FPS bullshit.

Snipers always get accused of hacking, comes with the territory.

There are at least 4 places in Goldrush I know where it is entirely possible to shoot through walls with certain classes.

I've only suspected one person of hacking, and it was a wallhack.

He would stand in such a way that he was hidden pretty well, giving himself only a narrow view of the area of contention. Which meant that if he ever saw any enemies at all, it was only in a small area were he'd have like a split second to make the shot. And more often than not, he made the kills.

Made me think he had a wall hack and could see people coming before they 'officially' came into play and were shootable.

Couldn't prove anything though. He could have been just really fast and good.

I saw someone blatantly using an aimbot for sniper once, but that's it.

Take it from me though, the thing that hurts me most when i accuse someone is when they say "Thanks" :(, because then it mean it doesnt bother them and my evil plan of slander fails :(
I love it when people accuse me of hacking (or used to I rarely play CS anymore). Think about it - it's high praise when someone thinks that you must be cheating to be doing so well.

whats worse is someone calling hacks on a person whos doing OK, and is CLEARLY not hacking

^ True enough, calling someone a hacker facetiously wouldn't be a nice thing to do.

I like headshotting through doors and stuff, prediction tactics.

I've seen speed hacking (a guy named Mike Tyson playing as the heavy flying around the map punching the shit out of people) and apparently a guy that played as the sniper with aimbot - he would get headshot after headshot, never missing, even though he didn't even aim at the head.

I have gone against hackers twice...

Once was a guy using speedhacks as a sniper. He would zoom around getting headshots. He sucked though, it took him five seconds to line up shot and if you strafed at all he would miss. Still, annoying when he ends up behind you right after you spawned.

The second one was a sniper using an aimbot. I got headshotted while cloaked as a spy. Of course, I thought it was just luck, as something like that had happened to me before (I was walking up to go behind a sniper and he happened to fire at just the right time... I fell dead in front of him and he freaked out. It was funny as hell).

Of course, after the second headshot, I began to get suspicious, and the third one made me start screaming "Hacker!"

I've seen speed hacking (a guy named Mike Tyson playing as the heavy flying around the map punching the shit out of people)

LMFAO, that sounds great. I can actually imagine a heavy flying round the map.

This is my standard reply to accusations of hacking (which doesn't happen often its not like I am a remarkable player)

"I do not pay attention to accusations of hacking from anyone whose score is lower than mine. Sorry. But this is the internet and it is filled with babies."

This covers about 99% of all hacking accusations because it always comes from someone who is doing worse than you.

That's funny because my reply is usually "**** you"

lol.. I ended up getting banned from this server.

I think when I sniped a fully cloaked spy they thought enough was enough. Except of course that he turned the corner whilst only partially cloaked and I knew what direction he was heading in, so I took a shot and it paid off and I got lucky.

BANNED!

350 hours kicking ass as Sniper, and first time I got banned for "hacking".

lol shit happens hey... well I know in CSS you can shoot through walls, depending on which weapon you use will depend on the thickness you can shoot through or which objects you can shoot through, also any weapon can shoot thhrough a corner of any wall and well yeah that isnt cheating its "realism" lol I just recently discovered that, just go experiment with your weapons on the levels and you would practically get a good idea of how to aproach things using that in mind, not sure about TF2 tho, I dont play TF2... Its kinda sad that people have to cheat to have fun, I mean, realy, thats why they suck totaly, theres no motive to become better, so they will eternally suck lol...

I need your advice guys, I've finally been shown some "evidence" that I was hacking.

They showed me this screenshot:
http://72.167.89.18/82408.jpg

To me it just looks like a skin for the gun, however, I have never in my life downloaded any skins and even if I did, would it be visible to other players spectating me?

I think this screenshot may have come from an actual admin of the server, so if it was his skin, he would have known and should not have banned me for that reason. But if it was not his skin, what explanation would there be for him seeing this strange looking gun?

It's just the acid green sniper rifle skin.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/46227

As far as I've ever seen you need the skin installed to see it. So basically someone installed a skin and you killed them and was looking for any reason to call hacks on you or someone is pulling your leg.

Is it a spectator glitch or a lag glitch? I've specced snipers before and noticed that they kill people when the dot isn't even anywhere near their body. At first that made me think that the sniper was hacking, until of course that I noticed it was happening with every sniper I specced and assumed it was a glitch in the game.
It depends a lot on your connection.

High speed actions can get 'distorted' when your PC has to communicate with the server to say when you pressed fire and the server also has to check exactly where the other player was. There will always be discrepancies between what you saw happen on your screen and what the server thinks happens. This is basically down to how quickly and efficiently your PC is able to communicate with the server. It's only when the discrepancies are bigger and the game is more fast-paced that it becomes obvious. Believe it or not TF2 is not a very fast paced game in terms of this phenomenon.

If you or the other player has a bad internet (or local network) connection, they or you will 'warp'. Basically what this means is you'll teleport to where the server thinks you should be. If you were under fire sometimes this can mean dragging you back to the other side of a wall you think you passed and telling you that in fact you by rights you are dead. This will see like the other player shot you through the wall, but in fact it's a case of the server making re-calculations. 'Warping' is what you call it when it's very noticeable (teleporting several feet forward and backward in stutters), which it shouldn't ever be in TF2. When it's very slight, but still noticeable, discrepancies you'll hear some players refer to this as 'reg' (hit registry, i.e. they think the hit should have registered).

In TF2 it's not very noticeable, nor is it probably very prevalent because players move very slowly compared to other games. In Natural Selection (mod for Half-Life) for example, some Alien classes can move so fast for a long time the hitboxes actually lagged behind the player (they have been made more accurate in recent versions). In TF2 it tends to happen most with Snipers because their bullets are instant hits, whereas every other class fires slower moving projectiles.

You can get hacks that actually shoot through walls, but they're much rarer than wall hacks. The last time I saw one was on CSS. I've never seen one in TF2 since the Beta, but I tend to go on servers I know are well-adminned. Shooting through walls is such an obvious exploit that anyone using it will get banned the second someone gets a video of them. Wall hacks are noticeable when a noob uses them (looking at the floor or walls instead of where they're going), but an intelligent user could disguise it quite well if they tried hard.

It's doubtful you'll ever get a server admin banning you because of a video of this, but if they do then I would contest it. Any admin worth their salt should be able to tell the difference between wall hacking, shooting through walls and simple lag hits. Chances are the person submitting the video probably isn't intelligent enough to provide a conclusive argument to go with the video. The video by itself wouldn't prove anything to a good admin.

Back