Sony Hints At Higher Priced Games! Also New Name For Controller!

Kschreck

Reaction score
Sony's Kaz Hirai hints that, in addition to the $600 console, we may have even more expensive games to look forward to. From the Gamasutra article:

"I don't think consumers expect software pricing to suddenly double. So, the quick answer is that we want to make it as affordable as possible, knowing that there is a set consumer expectation for what software has cost for the past twelve years. That's kind of the best answer I can give you. So, if it becomes a bit higher than $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be $100."

The Article:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9901

Being that some Xbox 360 games retail at $70 this doesn't seem like good news at all. Oh and Sony trademarks new name for PS3 controller:

Sony trademarks new controller name

It seems Sony has trademarked a new brand name at the Japanese patent office, apparently for a controller. And it's called..."P oo S". Not quite unlike the aftermath of the Wii announcement, the jokes are already rolling in and let's be frank, that's no surprise.

Are Sony hoping to follow and succeed with the strategy Nintendo has utilized? As their rivals, do they hope an at first alienating name will sooner or later become highly identifiable, or is this just another silly move for the sake of publicity being creative?

Regardless of that, the source states the "oo" part could be the infinity sign. Or it might represent the two analog sticks on a Dual Shock controller.

While it's doubtable "P oo S" will stir the media as heavily as Wii, Sony haters surely get another piece of meat to chew on with this. It seems we have to wait and see if the patent bears actual importance as the Playstation 3 launch draws near. Lots of things can still change...

The Articles:

http://ps3.qj.net/Sony-trademarks-new-cont...pg/49/aid/57447

http://www.gamefront.de/

:rolling:

And I thought Wii was bad.

I don't anymore, but still.

Sony are just clutching at straws imo

Sony really, really, sucks balls now :(

I like POS better. Poos is harder to say.

I guess about $85 each for games.

Kaz Harai said:
"I don't expect it to be $100".

HOLY SHIT!

What did I say?

The blank discs cost like $25 each. This cost must be tacked on to the price of the game. Comes to about $85. :dork: - give or take, depending on your location.

LOL ****in ridiculous

How do you pronounce that?
Pee-oo-ess?
Poo's?

Thats it. F**K consoles. F**K all consoled (except wii :p). From now on Im sticking with pc (and wii :p).

Krynn72 said:
Thats it. F**K consoles. F**K all consoled (except wii :p). From now on Im sticking with pc (and wii :p).
I think I'll join you. PC+Wii

I'm just tired of Sony. And have not developed an interest for either Xbox console or Live. /shrug

Asus said:
I like POS better. Poos is harder to say.
If the quality of the controller's exactly like the PS2 version, either name is apt. What the hell is Sony doing?

$59 is already absolutely ridiculous. If they go any higher than that for PS3 I'm going to exclusively rent, buy used games, or wait until the price drops a lot. Which will delay me buying the console for quite awhile, as there won't be many great games that are also affordable.

Jesus, I still think $50 is way more than games are worth. $40 is adequate for some of the higher end games while $30 would be acceptable for most. Games are fun, but they're still nowhere near the level of other forms of entertainment and cost much more. It's getting to be a prohibitively expensive hobby.

I never thought I'd have to say I've handled PooS.

No wai, I'm sorry but if games get anymore expensive then they actually are.. especially generic ones, it's just going to force people to be more assertive with the games they choose to buy, and also piss us off, sony can take a hike.

They are clearly just trying to grab at random things to attempt to spark debate and distract or take the spotlight off other platforms because they know they pretty much fooked it up this year.

OMG HIGHER PRICED GAMES!! WHO DOSN'T WANT THAT!!!

Well im glad im not getting a Ps3.

clarky003 said:
They are clearly just trying to grab at random things to attempt to spark debate and distract or take the spotlight off other platforms because they know they pretty much fooked it up this year.

Sony shares have lost nearly half their value over the last five years. They pretty much fooked up the past 5 years. If it wasn't for the Playstation brand, they would have likely crumbled and bankrupted. Now it seems, they have fooked up the Playstation brand too.
"Sony shares have lost nearly half their value over the last five years. On Thursday, the stock rose 3.6 percent to 4,940 yen. One shareholder, who identified herself only by her surname Kasahara, said she bought Sony shares at 14,000 yen. "I bought shares in mighty Sony," she said, stressing her unhappiness about their plunge. "What are you going to do about this?" she asked, drawing laughs from the crowd.""
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9813

VirusType2 said:
I guess about $85 each for games.

HOLY SHIT!

What did I say?

The blank discs cost like $25 each. This cost must be tacked on to the price of the game. Comes to about $85. :dork: - give or take, depending on your location.

LOL ****in ridiculous

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_h...=index=blended&keywords=blu+ray&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Does somebody pay you to make shit up or do you do it for fun? A lot of Blu-Ray movies are being sold for $20, most for $25. Please explain how what you just said correlates with these prices, which aren't much more than a regular DVD.

smwScott said:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_h...=index=blended&keywords=blu+ray&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Does somebody pay you to make shit up or do you do it for fun? A lot of Blu-Ray movies are being sold for $20, most for $25. Please explain how what you just said correlates with these prices, which aren't much more than a regular DVD.
Your source:
Bd-re Blu-ray Rewritable Disc by Sony
Computers & Add-Ons: See all 11 items

[BLANK DISC]
Buy new: $19.99 each

$20 dollars for a blu-ray disc. Wow I was $5 off. does it really make a difference when a blank dual layer DVD sells for under $2?

And you are the one with the source, I was going by what I read months ago, as this was the price that was expected.

A lot of Blu-Ray movies are being sold for $20, most for $25.

amazon said:
Underworld
Buy new: $38.95retail
amazon price: $30.99

You are the one with the source and your price is $5-$10 too low, while mine was only $5 off.

It's $20 if you buy the movie used about $25-$30 if you buy new... as if they even have any used copies actually in stock. And it's not possible to buy a used blank disc.. :p

So, going by your source, if a blank BD disc can sell for $20, then they tack that on to the price of a game. Reportedly the PS3 is the most expensive console to develop on, so already, the games would be at least as high as the 360 right? $59? so add the price of the blank disc ($19.99 using your source )to that and you get about $80. They have to burn the games onto blank discs man.

So i was $5 off dude, put your straight jacket back on bro, you were $10 off, when you provided the source!

It could still be as much as $100 for the games, so, believe what you want.

I agree with you Virus, however you must consider that buying in quantity lowers in price. I'm sure if a publisher lets say ordered 2 million blank blu ray discs the price would go down quite a bit.

Minerel said:
I agree with you Virus, however you must consider that buying in quantity lowers in price. I'm sure if a publisher lets say ordered 2 million blank blu ray discs the price would go down quite a bit.
No doubt bro.

Still, I can't miss an opportunity to bash Sony! :D

wweeeeeeeeee

But you still have to consider though, if they have the choice to sell a disc blank for $20, then why would they want to sell it to a developer/publisher for less than that? But bulk? yea I agree with you. They want to sell as many as they can, naturally.

maybe sony is only pretending to be this incredibly stupid/clueless and one day they'll re-announce the ps3 and it will be differen in EVERY WAY.. nah, i think they actually have lost it, their competitors have turned out to be fairly awesome, and they're freaking out because they always thought "hey, we're sony, the best thing sinced sliced bread" and figured they could get away with the same old hype (lolol emotion engine launch nukes and toy story graphics, ekkeke) and lies (7 controllers, dual hdmi, dual ethernet, blah blah).

wii60 ftw.

PooS...

So what do you guys think was Sony's stupidest move? Blu-Ray?

omfg. Sony is a stealing, no good, gigantic copycat.

P oo S?

let me guess, the two o's look like the dualshock sticks. How effing retarted. Just like nintendo saying that the two iis in Wii look like people playing. ITS THE SAME FREAKING CONTROLLER!!! JUST CALL IT A DUALSHOCK!!!AGH!~

and the games being higher than 60, but lower than 100?
what the hell?

I hope to god nintendo blows them out of the water, but these things will probably sell like hotcakes "zomg, mommy, get me a plastaytion 3!!! It looks like a playstation 2 except better!! I don't care how much it costs!!"

agh, I hate sony.

Wii and PooS... does anyone else think that the next gen consoles don't actually exist, and it's just a joke by a bunch of kindergarteners? "Wee and Poos, lol!". I for one won't stoop to that level. From now on, I will call them the Nintendo Urine and the Sony Feces.

SimonomiS said:
But it hasn't even got rumble now.

DualTilt?
DualPooS

They brought out a tilt controller and claimed innovation rather than saying they wanted to do the same thing as the Wii.
Now they have this name and the two O's representing the joysticks like the two I's in Wii for controllers. Are they going to say Nintendo copied them or something?
And check this out. MS doesn't claim to be the great innovator but rather "Moore looks to the old gaming consoles like the Atari 2600 and the new ones like the Nintendo Wii for inspiration when it comes to a revised XBOX 360 controller."

i just played some shadow of the colossus and realised how mediocre the ps2 controllers are.. seriously, that's probably the one thing i hate the most, why couldn't they freaking redesign them, even a tiny bit.

also, apparently since the rumble is gone, it feels 'flimsy' and 'cheap' like the original ps controller did.. sigh, and they expect me to hold that rubbish ?

best controllers: dreamcast, gamecube & x360.

destrukt said:
also, apparently since the rumble is gone, it feels 'flimsy' and 'cheap' like the original ps controller did.. sigh, and they expect me to hold that rubbish ?

Apparently they are trying to make it lighter, too. It sucks. Heavy controllers are much better, light ones feel like cheap toys that came out of a cereal box.

Sony said that they were taking a huge risk in doing all of this. It's sad that they knew that they were going to fail and still went through with it.

Wishlist:

600 dollar console
85 dollar games
Controller called "P oo S" (POS)

:x Yeah right.... nthx

Usualy I'm not a hater, but I think Sony deserves it.

VirusType2 said:
Your source:

$20 dollars for a blu-ray disc. Wow I was $5 off. does it really make a difference when a blank dual layer DVD sells for under $2?

And you are the one with the source, I was going by what I read months ago, as this was the price that was expected.

You are the one with the source and your price is $5-$10 too low, while mine was only $5 off.

It's $20 if you buy the movie used about $25-$30 if you buy new... as if they even have any used copies actually in stock. And it's not possible to buy a used blank disc.. :p

So, going by your source, if a blank BD disc can sell for $20, then they tack that on to the price of a game. Reportedly the PS3 is the most expensive console to develop on, so already, the games would be at least as high as the 360 right? $59? so add the price of the blank disc ($19.99 using your source )to that and you get about $80. They have to burn the games onto blank discs man.

So i was $5 off dude, put your straight jacket back on bro, you were $10 off, when you provided the source!

It could still be as much as $100 for the games, so, believe what you want.

LOOK! I can't believe I still ****ing have to point this out right after showing you a link.

That is a new, unused copy that costs $25, incidentally it's also the first one that comes on when you search for Blu Ray at Amazon. This is a new DVD that costs $20. Almost all of them cost $25 new, some cost $20, some cost $30. This is the movie you talked about, Underworld, and it costs $30, not $40.

Your logic is ridiculous: you add the cost of a recordable disc to the full retail price of a game. That isn't how it works. Seeing as movies cost relatively the same, in some cases $5-10 more, it makes sense that you would see a similar effect for games, maybe not considering games are already considerably marked up. I was in Circuit City the other day and they were selling all Blu-Ray movies for $25, even new releases, I was shocked.

You seriously just make shit up and distort facts to a ridiculous degree. Why do you do this? I'm as pissed off about Sony trying to hike the cost of games (especially after it already got hiked by $10) as much as anyone, but I can't understand why the hell you would go to such lengths to make your point. It's just annoying to see something so obviously wrong stated as fact.

PS: The reason recordable Blu-Ray discs costs so much more is probably because they hold so much more space, not because of production costs. The fact that DVD holds 9GB and Blu-Ray holds close to 50GB, it's clear that they charge more because it's worth more. It's as big as some peoples HDs for gods sake. Just note that I'm not saying it doesn't cost significantly more to produce a Blu-Ray recordable than a DVD, I'm sure it does.

wii > poos

Oh lord.
Seriously, wii didn't bug me when I first heard it.
It's a cultural thing, but it's simple and easy to say.
Sounds like 'we'. Very concise, expecially compared to

POOOZE

An angry german would be shocked at the harsh, gutteral sound there. Where's the ring to it?
It sounds like something deflating.
As equally silly as both names are, at least Nintendo's has a happy sound.

Compare phonetics:

Nin-ten-do-ee

Play-stay-shon-free-pooze

Ouch.

If this is true, Sony has just dug themselves their own grave and are already in it, buried, and awaiting their bones to turn into ash.

Well it's not like they're gonna come out and announce that they're calling their controller the PooS...if they do, then you can say what's above this post or something similar.

Until then it's just a stupid patent thingy thing thing...

ive looked around at all the gaming sites i know of and none of them are talking about this "P oo S" thing... not even the xbox sites that would just looooove to make fun of sony.

Well, thank Christ for Nintendo.

And only a mere 2 1/2 months ago, I trying to explain my logic for not getting an XBox 360..."I'm waiting for the PS3". Now I'm not getting either. This is f***ing disgusting. F*** your goddam Blu-Ray s***.

I go to Best Buy the other day....planning on buying Need For Speed:MW...great game by the way. It's on sale for the PC..$19.99. As I'm walking up to the register, I pass the XBox 360 display and start looking at the games...sure enough....there's Need For Speed:MW....$59.99. Outrageous. Then and there....I said I'm NEVER buying this console. Nice to see major corporations still are able to masterfully feed on consumer ignorance. I paid $40 less for the same game that I guarantee will look better on my PC....

Back