Sony Hints At Higher Priced Games! Also New Name For Controller!

Well to be fair, over here N64 games used to cost up to £45 when they came out, I even saw a game for £49.99.

Games will cost a bit more due to the fact that the developers need to make back the money they spent to develop them.

Jonny

Its amazing how cocky Sony have got in the past year, trying to dominate the electrical scene, lol.

I'm sure it it very hard to pirate Blu-Ray discs too so they are pretty much taking the piss if its $80 a game I thought £50 for a game for 360 was pathetic (in england it'll be about £75 for a game on PS3 right?) but this is pathetic.

I was really going to buy a PS3 but no way am I now, any console infact. It seems many ppl are set on the Wii and if I were to get a console which I might I would get the Wii, it looks like alot of fun to play with all yours mates.

But why botherd when youve got a PC? PC's will or I think have caught up with were the future consoles are at now (the Cry engine 2 anyone?) and the games are a pretty resonible price, I will pay £40 for a PC because you get so much game play. Look at Half-Life 2 the bundle with that game and amount of hours of play is incredible. Thats my take anyway, pretty much... so im sticking with PC :D

oh and P oo S? thats just stupid.

I honestly think that Sony have been drunk during the entire concept, creation and (up to now) marketing areas of all things PS3.

What kind of radge markets a console at a near £500? A drunk one.

Yea, I'm really gonna spend 600 dollars on a PS3 then 70 dollars for Ridge Racer. Riiiiiidge Racer!!!

(like thats ever gonna happen, lol)

As much as Sony likes shooting itself in the foot, I'm sure PS3 units will be flying off the shelves upon release, mainly being bought by the guys who say "Microsoft? You mean Micro$oft? HAHAHAHAHAH! Oh yah, Wii is ghey."

I really hope MGS4 and Mercenaries 2 somehow get ported over to the XB360, those're the PS3 games I'm only really super-interested in..

God I wish Sony would shut up for a few weeks. Look nobody cares about your controllers name I still call it a controller as that is it's function. They keep digging themselves into a bigger hole and really ought to keep quiet.

I remember paying something in the neighborhood of $90 for Chrono Trigger for the SNES when it came out years and years ago. That was the most I have ever paid for a game and its absurd that I did so! Thankfully prices came down with the advent of CD-ROMs and such. I'm also glad my taste in PC games is usually adventure titles which don't have exorbitant budgets and hence have smaller price tags. Budgets are through the roof though with some of these next-gen examples, so we will likely pay more for them as such. Not really that surprising, but not great to hear either.

As far as the controller name goes, its likely the 'oo' is the infinity symbol, but still, what a seemingly bad decision....

Imagine!
Soon we'll stop using the PC to browse the net and switch to the PS3, and then we'll all be using our PooS to post here!!

Wow...

They're practically inviting people to get a Wii with a $600 console and $60+ games.

Let's just say I wanted to buy a PS3 and 2 games. Given these coments I think it's safe to say games will probably be above $60 but for this demonstration I'm going to lowball PS3's numbers.

Without tax that's $720 USD for 2 games and the console.

Let's take a look at the 360. $400 for the console. $50-$60 per game. You could get the console and 5 $60 games and still sneak under the price of the PS3.

How about the Wii. I think we can all agree games will be =<$60 (probably $50) and the system itself will probably come at $200 (if they want to be good competitors vs the 360 for their probable price drop before the holidays) or $250 with another controller and Wii Sports or something.

Let's just pretend it's going to be $250 with nothing but the console and controller. I could get 9-10 games depending on price of games.

Sony is seriously mistaken if they think people want to pay way out the ass for their pretty HD graphics and exclusive PS3 games.

I love MGS...but it'll be a LONGGGGGGG time (probably 3-4 years after release) before I get to play MGS4 now.

Now microsoft has to release a new controller for the xbox 360. The "Pyook".

Edit: or the 'Phom It'

PooS?!? Wow sony has really lost it. First they embarass themselves at a press conference (real time weapon change) ('based on battles that actually took place in japanese history....so here's this giant enemy crab) (its ridge racer....Riiiiidddgee RAaaaacerr!!!) , then announce their new system to be 600 dollars (lol), then high priced games, and now PooS? lmao

Sony have failed. The PS1 rocked and so did the PS2, simple yet up-to-date. This has killed their reputation.

current gen console games over here are 60 euros each, xbox 360 games are up top 75euros, i already think this is a way too expensive, now with the ps3 coming out will games be 80-90euro here!!!??seriously f**k that!

smwScott said:
LOOK! I can't believe I still ****ing have to point this out right after showing you a link.

That is a new, unused copy that costs $25, incidentally it's also the first one that comes on when you search for Blu Ray at Amazon. This is a new DVD that costs $20. Almost all of them cost $25 new, some cost $20, some cost $30. This is the movie you talked about, Underworld, and it costs $30, not $40.
Um, we have already established this. Yes, I was $5 off, and you were $5-$10 off. OK? So, thank you saying what I already said.

Your logic is ridiculous: you add the cost of a recordable disc to the full retail price of a game. That isn't how it works. Seeing as movies cost relatively the same, in some cases $5-10 more,
First off, I don't know where you buy your DVD's, but if I can get most of them from $5 to $15.68 for brand new releases at Wal-Mart. I ususally buy them in a bundle, two movies for for $9.99. I bought Return of the King brand new for $12.86 on DVD.

So that is still way more for Blu-ray movies man, no matter how you try to bend things in your favor.

DVD's aren't $20 and $30 dollars man so please just stop already. Not unless you buy the full season of Friends or something. There could be more expensive places, or cheaper places, but this is the place I'm likely to buy a movie from, since it's not far from my house I can drive there.

You seriously just make shit up and distort facts to a ridiculous degree. Why do you do this? I can't understand why the hell you would go to such lengths to make your point. It's just annoying to see something so obviously wrong stated as fact.
No, Scott, I have just proved again that you do this - not me. And you seem to be the one going to great lengths! You call this going to great lengths? Here is what I said:
VirusType2 said:
I guess about $85 each for games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz Harai
"I don't expect it to be $100".

HOLY SHIT!

What did I say?

The blank discs cost like $25 each. This cost must be tacked on to the price of the game. Comes to about $85. - give or take, depending on your location.

LOL ****in ridiculous

While I thought it was obvious that I was speculating at the price of PS3 games when I said they would probably be about $85, give or take. This is not something made up. SONY said it. They said "they will definitely be higher than $59.99. They said he doesn't think they will be $100 though. " THIS IS ****ING SONY THAT SAID IT. So, if you use your brain, the average of these two prices - in between $59.99 and $100 is $80. Again, this is from a SONY spokesman's mouth, not some rumor. Do you still have trouble believing it?

You know, last year, when I speculated that the PS3 would be $600, many of you thought I was crazy, and even got mad at me - like it was my fault, but I turned out to be DEAD Right. Yes, they created a stripped down version for $500, but that doesn't change the fact that the SONY PS3 that they had been describing for the past year is $599, and it is missing many of the features they boasted after all, (7 player, rumble, dual HDMI, some of the ports) so it could have been even higher priced.

Regardless if you want to nickle and dime the situation, you are still looking at more expensive games bro. The PS3 is the most expensive to develop on, by a LONG SHOT, not to mention the higher price of the discs.

PS: The reason recordable Blu-Ray discs costs so much more is probably because they hold so much more space, not because of production costs.
Well, you can speculate the reason all you want. The real reasons are on every tech site. Higher production costs. I didn't say that a blank Blu Ray should be exactly the same price as DVD, but a blank Dual sided DVD is under $2, and a blue Ray single layer blank is $20. We have already established this. So if you want to pay $20 ****in dollars for a blank disc, then be my guest! I think it's INSANE. There is nothing written on the disc. LOL It's blank. It's $20!.

The fact that DVD holds 9GB and Blu-Ray holds close to 50GB, it's clear that they charge more because it's worth more.
Allow me to interupt you real quick. Stop lying.

LOOK AT YOUR OWN SOURCE:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...86352/ref=sr_1_13/104-7033783-2079129?ie=UTF8

Click on the image and you will see that they are 25GB, NOT 50GB!!!!! 50GB will be even more expensive, and the recorders that are released at this point WON'T BE ABLE TO USE THEM!

Again, you are stretching your facts. In fact, I'd go as far as to say you are deliberately lying. As much as you know about SONY, it has to be intentional. I've even told you this before in previous threads.

If you are going to compare the dual layer BD's to something, you can't use the price of a single layer BD, while using the specifications of a dual layer BD.

Can we please stop arguing about how you think the games will be $70 and I think they will be $85? We can't know until they are actually for sale.

I hope the new Holographic discs kick everythings ass. Those things are HUGE and are soooo FAST.
Kyo said:
Look nobody cares about your controllers name I still call it a controller as that is it's function.
Lol, I know!

I was never off by anything regarding the prices. You said that used movies cost $20, I showed you that wasn't necessarily the case. You showed me one movie that you said cost $40, I showed that it cost $30. I never made any incorrect statements regarding movie prices. I showed their exact prices and linked to them, there's nothing to argue with there.

When it comes to the recordable Blu-Ray, you're right that it's not dual layered. Still, the fact that it's new technology and holds almost 3 times as much as a dual-layered DVD is the reason it costs more, regardless of whether or not the price is justifiable (I would never pay that much).

And I don't know that much about Sony, I was just wrong about the Blu-Ray recordable being dual-layered. My point remains intact, that Blu-Ray itself doesn't seem to be hiking the cost of products as much as you would expect, I was pleasantly surprised at those movie prices. Most new releases sell at $20, so $25 isn't that bad of a jump.

Also, I think you should notice that fundamentally we're in agreement, I'm just tired of seeing you blow things way out of proportion. You're right that we don't know the cost, and I never suggested what it might cost, there's no way of knowing.

This will be my last post in the topic, there's nothing else to say.

smwScott said:
I was never off by anything regarding the prices.

I never made any incorrect statements regarding movie prices. I showed their exact prices and linked to them, there's nothing to argue with there.
Wrong. wrong. wrong. wrong. :|
When it comes to the recordable Blu-Ray, you're right that it's not dual layered.
Of course I am. :imu:

My point remains intact, that Blu-Ray itself doesn't seem to be hiking the cost of products as much as you would expect, I was pleasantly surprised at those movie prices. Most new releases sell at $20, so $25 isn't that bad of a jump.
OK, this is where you are wrong friend. New releases are about $31-$39.

If you consider Terminator 2 and The Fifth Element a new release, you have lost your mind.

Terminator 2 came out in 1991, 15 years ago
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103064/

and The Fifth Element came out in 1997, 9 years ago
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=the+fift+element

New releases are from $31-$40 on Blu-Ray. HERE is the proof:

LOOK:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4886786

It's $38.95 for Underworld Evolution on Blu-Ray@ wal-mart or wal-mart.com

NOW, have a look at the DVD:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4875264

It's $13.63 for Underworld Evolution on DVD @ wal-mart or wal-mart.com

The difference is $25.32 more for the Blu-Ray version, over the DVD, and THIS IS A SONY STUDIOS MOVIE!
Underworld Evolution: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
If Sony can't eat the cost to keep it low, NOBODY CAN.

That is a $25 dollar difference! Exactly what I said in the original post!

Now, add that $25 dollar difference to the price of a PS3 game. THAT IS WHAT THE HELL I WAS SAYING.

$38.95 dollar movies, and $84.95 dollar games! INSANITY

I'm just tired of seeing you blow things way out of proportion.
But I feel the same way about you.

You know, I speculated that the price would be $85, using what Sony said as a base. Then, I attempted to rationalize why, and suspected that the price of the disc is mainly the reason, along with higher development costs on the PS3. I don't think this is blowing things out of proportion at all.

In fact, you blew this whole situation out of proportion when you repeatedly claimed I was getting paid to say this, and other irrational outbursts, and while claiming a single layer BD was more than 25 GB, and by claiming that new releases were about $20-$25 for blu-ray, when they are $31-$39, then repeatedly saying that I am wrong, when your own source proves you wrong. CHRIST.

This will be my last post in the topic, there's nothing else to say.
wweeeeeeeeeeee! :D <3 SmwScott

*USA prices used in this post, your price may vary.

Is this real? Can't get onto the article website and can't find any where else reporting it.

The higher price is due to the larger teams that are required for a big-time next-gen game and not the medium the media will use. These next-gen formats seem like kind of a waste at this point, but I have seen both formats running films on HDTVs and I must say that I wouldn't mind seeing my favorite movies in HD sometime, though I don't think I am all that willing to shell out top dollar day one to do so.

Zeus said:
Yea, I'm really gonna spend 600 dollars on a PS3 then 70 dollars for Ridge Racer. Riiiiiidge Racer!!!

(like thats ever gonna happen, lol)
But playing Riiiiidge Racer with Poos in your hands... that's worth $1,000 right there!

ElFuhrer said:
But playing Riiiiidge Racer with Poos in your hands... that's worth $1,000 right there!

Yes...I can't wait to get those Poos in my hands. I'm sure they will provide me with hours of entertainment

(I'd take a Wii in public, but I wouldn't be caught dead with Poos in my hands. Sorry)

Back