Source 2 Version Of Dota 2 Coming In Early 2015

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a recent blog post to the Dota 2 website, Valve have laid out their future plans for Dota 2, including revealing the game will be fully updated to the Source 2 engine in early 2015.

Source_engine_logo_orange.png
While it isn't specifically mentioned by name, the "new" version of Dota 2 is listed as a "major improvement" which will help users quickly create custom game modes, as is currently possible within the work-in-progress version of the Source 2 engine released earlier this year in the form of the "Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha". Other than the list of improvements we already know about, such as 64bit support, the blog post is deliberately tight-lipped regarding what other benefits the Source 2 engine will bring upon its arrival.

Given these big upcoming changes, Valve have highlighted the game will not receive a seasonal Holiday update this year similar to the past two years' Greeviling and Frostivus game modes, which would apparently need to be "rebuilt from the ground up after the release of the engine update". Valve state the time and resources that could have been put into creating new versions of Halloween's Diretide or Christmas' Frostivus game modes has instead been focused into preparing the upcoming Source 2 version of Dota 2, helping to ship it as quickly as possible.

The blog post closes by revealing a new version of the New Bloom Festival update, due for release in February 2015, will feature as the game's next major update, placing the release of the Source 2 version of Dota 2 between February and June 2015 (pending delays, of course). While the new release will likely feature as a more fully-fledged version of the engine (unlike the barebones version already available), it is still unlikely it will feature the vast majority of major improvements anticipated to release alongside a new, blockbuster title such as Left 4 Dead 3 or Half-Life 3, both of which are believed to have been in development for several years.

Little other information about the Source 2 version of the engine is currently available, but we'll be sure to let you know when we learn more. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to return to my "happening bunker".

Last edited:
I wonder if the Steam release of Black Mesa will use this engine.

I wonder if the Steam release of Black Mesa will use this engine.
Could explain the long time it's taking just to finish the Xen part which was already work in progress at the time of the partial release of BM.

Could explain the long time it's taking just to finish the Xen part which was already work in progress at the time of the partial release of BM.

They said many months ago that it won't use S2, but they could be lying for all we know. Since its being released on Steam they were forced to sign an NDA and thus we have no idea what the paid version will entail.

It would seem silly to use Source 2013 at this point, as Valve stopped all licensing of that engine.

They said many months ago that it won't use S2, but they could be lying for all we know. Since its being released on Steam they were forced to sign an NDA and thus we have no idea what the paid version will entail.

It would seem silly to use Source 2013 at this point, as Valve stopped all licensing of that engine.

Well, the BM team already has officially said the free Steam version is Source 2013. My thinking is that paid version is a Source 2015 or something, the final Source 1 before Source 2 rolls out.

that doesn't say jacksh** gaben said it'd have been a soft release, they're just releasing a new engine build by build by putting them into dota 2 alpha, when they'll finish with dota 2, they might be starting a new hl. Soft releases don't belong in valve's style, here's why i think it's bullsh** and also if they keep releasing it so slowly, there will be a lot to wait for a new hl, a new portal, a new l4d, etc...

that doesn't say jacksh** gaben said it'd have been a soft release, they're just releasing a new engine build by build by putting them into dota 2 alpha, when they'll finish with dota 2, they might be starting a new hl. Soft releases don't belong in valve's style, here's why i think it's bullsh** and also if they keep releasing it so slowly, there will be a lot to wait for a new hl, a new portal, a new l4d, etc...

Well, there's already been the Workshop Tools, which run on a brand new map editor, and we're 99% sure that's Source 2. AFAIK Source 2 is referenced in the game's files. So the chances of the 2015 Spring engine update being Source 2 are incredibly high.

Well, there's already been the Workshop Tools, which run on a brand new map editor, and we're 99% sure that's Source 2. AFAIK Source 2 is referenced in the game's files. So the chances of the 2015 Spring engine update being Source 2 are incredibly high.

It might come out soon, but since it's been said that it'd probably be a soft release, it's not going to be something like the first source, with the orange box, and everything, but probably something much slower and everything. This said, i really hope i'm totally wrong and we'll have the games that everyone is waiting for coming out in a orange box vol 2

I just want a Source 2 powered First person shooter. Left 4 Dead 3, Half Life 3, and Portal 3. Whatever I just want a Source 2 engine FPS.

Just because I would mod those to hell and back :D

when they'll finish with dota 2, they might be starting a new hl.
Valve hasn't "finished" with Team Fortress 2 yet, so why would creating content for one, very specific type of multiplayer game prevent the company's large numbers of singleplayer level designers from making a new game?

Valve hasn't "finished" with Team Fortress 2 yet, so why would creating content for one, very specific type of multiplayer game prevent the company's large numbers of singleplayer level designers from making a new game?

I guess i didn't explain myself, i meant that if they keep using the soft release policy, we'll have to wait much longer to see a different game from dota 2 ported to source2, and i hope they'll not use the activision policy in which they release a "newer" engine every cod that comes out, cause we saw how different are those engine versions to each other, i just hope this thing they're doing with dota 2 is just like what they did with CSS, then they'll release games with everything new in it, from engine to textures.

Woahh finally :eek:

Last edited:
Told you dota will be the first one on source 2. However this actually gives me hope about hl3 because if you have the game engine up and running,and you have the models and scripts for a game, combining them and making everything work will be a peice of cake. So yeah hl3 might happen next year,altough i doubt that
This is probably a stress test for the new engine and hl3 will probably happen in 2016.
Tldr. 2+0+1+6=9 9/3=3 Half life 3 CONFIRMED!!! :D

makes sense dota 2 is the first to get updated.

It's their most popular game, and with the performance improvements(we will probably get) the game will be more accessible to people.CS:GO or TF2 will probably be next in line to get an update. though i really wise HL2 would get updated, the optimization on it it just terrible.

makes sense dota 2 is the first to get updated.

It's their most popular game, and with the performance improvements(we will probably get) the game will be more accessible to people.CS:GO or TF2 will probably be next in line to get an update. though i really wise HL2 would get updated, the optimization on it it just terrible.

Most played maybe, but not most popular lol also what do you mean with "though i really wise HL2 would get updated, the optimization on it it just terrible." ?

Most played maybe, but not most popular lol also what do you mean with "though i really wise HL2 would get updated, the optimization on it it just terrible." ?
most played = most popular

also what do you mean with "though i really wise HL2 would get updated, the optimization on it it just terrible." ?
Just a typo. He really wishes* HL2 would get updated.

Just a typo. He really wishes* HL2 would get updated.

No, i really want the game to get better engine optimization. the load times are ridiculous. and a direct X version upgrade would be nice since the newer versions have less CPU overhead

No, i really want the game to get better engine optimization. the load times are ridiculous. and a direct X version upgrade would be nice since the newer versions have less CPU overhead

Why would they want to port HL2 to a new engine? what is it that they'd gain?

If your computer is struggling to load Half-Life 2 maps or the game in general, you might want to take a closer look at your rig.

If your computer is struggling to load Half-Life 2 maps or the game in general, you might want to take a closer look at your rig.

It's not that my rig can barely load it, it's that the loading time is ridiculous compared to other games. Shadow warrior 2013 loads faster than it does, Skyrim loads faster. it's like the load time is bottlenecked.

Skyrim loads faster.
Skyrim absolutely does not load faster than Half-Life 2, and the only examples I can think of where that would be the case would be instantly re-loading/re-entering an area you just left.

Skyrim absolutely does not load faster than Half-Life 2, and the only examples I can think of where that would be the case would be instantly re-loading/re-entering an area you just left.

just tested it out. HL2 is close to skyrims load times but behind by 2 seconds on my computer. Than i decided to test EP2, that definitely takes longer to load than skyrim.

just tested it out. HL2 is close to skyrims load times but behind by 2 seconds on my computer. Than i decided to test EP2, that definitely takes longer to load than skyrim.

inb4 he watches the entire valve clip...

are you seriously comparing the loading times between HL2 and Skyrim? One is a linear game and one is an open world game. One is from 2004 and one from 2011. They way they are programmed is SO different you cant just compare them. For me HL2 loading times are really short but k.

Can someone explain me if this will make possible some game modes from war III frozen throne?
Like wherewolf, Cat Vs Mouse, Warlock, elf and trolls, etc.?

Can someone explain me if this will make possible some game modes from war III frozen throne?
Like wherewolf, Cat Vs Mouse, Warlock, elf and trolls, etc.?
I've never played any of these modes, but I believe it will absolutely be possible to most, if not all, of the Warcraft 3 classics. Many have already been made (heck, even a copy of League of Legends is being developed) and I'm sure many more will follow.

Don't forget - the tools are faaaaaar more powerful than anything possible within Warcraft 3, so the Dota community really needs to enjoy the past while embracing the future and recognising any potentially great new game modes or maps that may spring up without just sticking to everything they played in the early 2000's.

I spilled my tea, when I saw the title. I was also listening to this while reading;

Such epicness and win.

TBH, I am pretty excited. I would LOVE to see L4D3 on Source 2, and the fact that from these leaked photos the graphics look quite amazing is just... ah ! I don't have any more words to describe it..... !

About Warcraft 3 mods; we have some in TF2, which work okay, btw. :) I was a part of a small server community where we had this War3 mod and it was quite fun, but some classes were really unbalanced. ( Death to Dead Ringers !11!!1 ) I'd like to have such a mod in Dota 2 too, maybe because of it I'll start playing Doto* for real, instead of launching it once a year. :D

And about converting HL2, there's really no point of it, as ealrier written. I would really like to see Black Mesa, or heck, even HL1 be converted onto S2, instead.

*Ah, Russians. <3

PS: I wish Valve could come out with a new idea for a franchise that would use that fricking F-STOP ( Idea for a Database ep ? Wish there could be more info about it ) or something that might be even more revolutionary, as a starter for S2, but I guess that probably won't happen seeing that L4D3 is being developed. :/

And about converting HL2, there's really no point of it, as ealrier written. I would really like to see Black Mesa, or heck, even HL1 be converted onto S2, instead.

how is there more of a point to port over HL1 to source2 to than HL2? They'd gain the exact same benefits, except HL1 would get nice water and rag dolls, and if we're talking about porting expansions as we Opposing Force could have it's friendly AI fixed.

See ? Makes as much sense as converting HL2. I have a pretty shitty PC, but even my HL2 loads pretty fast ( up to 8 sec, the shortest load time was 4 sec. I counted. ). Loading times sure are annoying, but seriously, I can't imagine that you are THAT annoyed by them. I can agree that it is not as well optimalized as it was few years ago, but every game ages. Some games really need to be updated, because they are unplayable now, like Siren for example. ( Stone me later fans ) But HL2 still works and looks really good ( but some textures and physics scripts/codes/whatever they are called could get updated, another point for you ), I mean, I wow-ed seeing Ep1 for the first time and it was a year ago, mind you. I am serious. On its highest settings, this game looks simply amazing, especially Ep 2. Aside from that, HL2 on S2 would be much better recieved as a remake, instead of a convertion, don't you think ? ( Maybe for a 30th or 50th anniversary ? )

Black Mesa has done a good job at converting HL1, but it had some serious problems like the gameplay not being as fun as it was, or the AI not working properly at some points. ( I still like this mod, tho ) Seeing Valve finally giving a sh*t ( excuse my language here ) about HL1 and making its remake would be really nice. But wait. They have made a remake on Source 1 ! Except it wasn't a remake - It was a simple convertion. A simple convertion that a lot of fans didn't like. It wasn't bad, but it still angered a lot of people.. Now imagine that HL2 is coverted onto S2. The history likes to repeat itself, but it doesn't mean we have to help it.

All I want to say is, I can see your point and I can accept it. The question is, can you accept mine ?

Last edited:
See ? Makes as much sense as converting HL2. I have a pretty shitty PC, but even my HL2 loads pretty fast ( up to 8 sec, the shortest load time was 4 sec. I counted. ). Loading times sure are annoying, but seriously, I can't imagine that you are THAT annoyed by them. I can agree that it is not as well optimalized as it was few years ago, but every game ages. Some games really need to be updated, because they are unplayable now, like Siren for example. ( Stone me later fans ) But HL2 still works and looks really good ( but some textures and physics scripts/codes/whatever they are called could get updated, another point for you ), I mean, I wow-ed seeing Ep1 for the first time and it was a year ago, mind you. I am serious. On its highest settings, this game looks simply amazing, especially Ep 2. Aside from that, HL2 on S2 would be much better recieved as a remake, instead of a convertion, don't you think ? ( Maybe for a 30th or 50th anniversary ? )

Black Mesa has done a good job at converting HL1, but it had some serious problems like the gameplay not being as fun as it was, or the AI not working properly at some points. ( I still like this mod, tho ) Seeing Valve finally giving a sh*t ( excuse my language here ) about HL1 and making its remake would be really nice. But wait. They have made a remake on Source 1 ! Except it wasn't a remake - It was a simple convertion. A simple convertion that a lot of fans didn't like. It wasn't bad, but it still angered a lot of people.. Now imagine that HL2 is coverted onto S2. The history likes to repeat itself, but it doesn't mean we have to help it.

All I want to say is, I can see your point and I can accept it. The question is, can you accept mine ?

um, Half-Life source WAS bad. it did add in the ragdoll physics and better water, but also introduced numerous bugs and was graphically inferior to the original since they didn't even bother to include the HD texture pack.

Now if valve did a proper port of Half-Life and it's expansions or Half-life 2 and it's episodes to source 2 than it could be great. Better performance, better load times, proper 4K support, better AI, combining the episodes with Half-Life 2 to make one big game. Maybe even source 2 benefits we don't even know about yet.

Back