Stanley Parable: HD Remix announced [Updated]

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Natural Selection, Garry's Mod and Dear Esther before it, the experimental narrative, or perhaps narration, driven Half-Life 2 mod the Stanley Parable is going stand alone. A slightly sinister teaser video (ironically not available in HD) promises a new surprise in the HD version.

According to the official site the game will be released "some time in 2012 for Windows and hopefully OSX" and a mobile version will also be coming out on iOS.

If you're impatient it out you can download the original mod from ModDB.

Update: The game's creator has stated on Reddit that he thinks the game will be twice as long as the original mod.

This mod was awesome. Loved the multiple endings... well, the ones I managed to find... Looking forward to something new to find in it.

Looking forwards to it. Good to see its using the Portal 2 version of source, with that plus the new content they're adding - this should be pretty amazing.

hope we can buy it on steam because i loved the first one and i want to help support the people who made it just like dear esther

Was an O.K. mod, I'm apathetic to it as a game.

(assuming it is literally just an HD version, if more content is to be added, it may be more appealing)

Spot on narrating although iI was kind of disappointed with the endings since most of them ended up with me dying.

I loved the original. To me, I find the whole thing as a parable on game design it self. The world is nicely self contained and needs no more additional explanation - like a Bergman film. It puts down neatly a setup of status quo - and pushes us the player out into the game - like the first act of ANY story. And it's handled so minimalistically, with no explanation. And now comes the world of the game developer (almost 4 wall breaking) where they quietly nudge, coerce and manipulate the the player to do what the game designer intended. Go here, do this, and you will have the happy ending. Except with Stanley, you are told directly. No subtle points with lights or straight lines converging on a point of interest here. It's blatant - and that's whats beautiful. There is no question of what is being asked.

The odd thing was, I was NEVER happy with the happy ended - because I did what I was told. I was being told I should be happy, but I wasn't.

I was mildly more happier stood in an orange box/part of a hl2 map being told, you messed up the game, there is no more game left for you to play now you have to quit.
A rebel until the bitter end, the irony was the bitter end was designed that way, and you still have to conform by quitting which you are told to do - which I refuse to do for some time. (it would be interesting to see stats for people trying to break out of there before they quit.

Here were are paying for a medium in which we are lead around like sheep and we believe it to be fun and re-warding.

The stanley parable shrieks conform or revolt, at every decision, with only the final irony is that it was all setup anway. Your movements and decisions are controlled, monitored and expected at every turn - which is in itself the chilling pill of ironic pleasure of the whole thing, the dystopian big brother setup pays off beautifully.

Gamers are slaves to the Stanley Parable.

Back