Star Wars: The Old Republic

cn7u4.jpg

bd7BS.jpg

Nice textures on that mountain you're standing on.

Yeah, it was a bit that I don't think I was supposed to get to.

I chose Arifice or whatever as my crafting thing, and Treasure Hunter (for power/color crystals), and Archeologist (for crystals to make mods). Working out really well, just sucks that I'm a good Jedi, and when I reach Tier 1 of the light side, I won't be able to use red in my lightsaber :( Green will suffice I guess..

you all should feel bad for giving that fat piece of shit more money to hog.

(I kinda wanna try this game)

After a bit of skepticism, I have to say this game looks pretty fun from the videos I have watched. Not enough to buy it, but if a trial comes out, I would probably give it a shot.

My baby
FdPDD.jpg

Getting off this rock!
zfxa7.jpg

Putting my droid in his place
yTyKL.jpg

The Bridge
Z1bsH.jpg

Operations room
Zt8oW.jpg

Damn, your guys's screenshots look awesome. I wish my computer wasn't shite, I have everything on low and the draw distance set to 0

Is the SW:TOR community just really, irredeemably terrible? I have to assume so considering how christing ban-happy Bioware continue to be.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/swtor-unsubscribe-goes-missing-for-some/

Whoops, the unsubscribe button mysteriously vanished from our site the day before the one month mark, aka the first day of subs. What's that, you're trying to link directly to the cancel page on our own website to help people out? Haha, not if our terms of service can help it, get banned ****ers.

Now the fanboys are actually blaming the beta testers for not 'reporting the bugs during closed beta'. I've seen a ton of pics of posts like this.

Besides some flickering shadows on trees during cutscenes and a few tiny graphical glitches, I haven't seen one bug yet honestly.

My CC was billed but I can't log in because the launcher says "no active subscription." Currently on my second transfer on their dumb hotline.

Quick video I made of the first space mission

So I waited two hours on the hotline but it was not in vain, I was rewarded a day of game time and immediate account activation. They're trying to make good on the situation.

Anyone still playing this? What do they think after a months time?

I love it.

I never liked WoW, even though these are very similar, this is just awesome.

I definitely really liked what I played, but I really haven't had time to play recently so there's a pretty good chance that I'm canceling my account soon.

Cant justify putting the hours in anymore, as I'm now officially sick of playing games and consequently having almost ***k all social life lately.

I liked what I saw when it came out, waited about a week and bought it. Cancelled my subscription now. And honestly, I didnt see anything different to WoW other than the NPC voice acting and the cutscenes for pretty much everything, which is extremely impressive and is definitely different and makes each moment feel like your own.

Ultimately...It's WoW with Mass Effect cutscenes. An inconvenient truth. But in terms of the world structure and the 'cool' factor, I think SWTOR trumps WoW.

I will be purchasing another month for sure. People are saying "It's WoW", but I cannot stand to play WoW as it is, and I love this game. There isn't much in the game that makes me think "Hey, this is just like WoW" Except for the basic mechanics, which all MMO's have.

Just bumping to alert anyone playing that ability delay has been fixed! (for the most part). Apparently mounts are still dodgy but abilities seem a whole lot better.

Thanks for the heads up, noticed this myself--makes things a lot more fun!

**** this clientttt.

My disc did not work (said setup files were missing) So I had to download from the website. After 12+ Hours of downloading only half of the 25GB, I had to restart my computer and the Main Assets restarted download from the beginning :| What the ****ing ****.

**** this clientttt.

My disc did not work (said setup files were missing) So I had to download from the website. After 12+ Hours of downloading only half of the 25GB, I had to restart my computer and the Main Assets restarted download from the beginning :| What the ****ing ****.
Aw man that sucks. I usually prefer buying discs so I don't have to redownload shit, and wait 30 years and can just install quick. Problem is that you can get a faulty disc or scratch a disc up or whatever :/ Hopefully it's done soon, you're gonna love this game!

I was thinking: I think it would be fun to make new characters and just get a HL2 party going. Play those characters only in a group with other HL2.netters.

I'm down. But, we'll have to play without Hl2.netters regardless to level up :p

But we could set up a diverse party.

I was thinking we made HL2.net chars in addition to our normal chars. That way we don't have to worry about being the same level as everyone else, as we'd just use those HL2.net chars to play with other hl2.netters.

(Have all the HL2.netters be trooper builds and one person be a sith/jedi, u kno u want 2)

I'd be keen for a hl2.net guild or something, always happy to play alts.

Was quite bitter about this game after leveling my bounty hunter to lvl 12, then I tried out the Imperial Agent and I love it. In my opinion, the Imperial Agent is how the Bounty Hunter should have played.

Having a blast with IA's combat, extremely efficient and very versatile.

The "Imperial Agent" character class has very little to offer, in my opinion, in comparison to the "Jedi" character class. The "Jedi" character class is way better. In my opinion.

I thought Smuggler would be cool, but the first few sections so unimpressed me that I went Darkside. Sith Inquisitor is way more fun so far, and I'm actually enjoying it. I didn't think I'd ever like any mmo, but having the story element be so prominent and interactive really makes the game for me. The last several missions as Inquisitor have been very cool.

I'm also surprised as to how similar a feel this has to the actual KOTOR games. Me like. Now I just need to figure out how to manage to play for more than an hour or so at a time. My free time is already oversaturated as is, an MMO timesink is not what I need right now, which is why I'm pissed that I'm actually loving the game. Absolutely didn't expect to like it so much.

I really liked my Inquisitor until I went Sorcerer, then hated the lightning bolt on legs playstyle. Rerolling a sith warrior for the melee.

After leveling a Jedi to 30 and a Sorc to 23 I think I like the Empire better.

I'm going to speak freely for a moment on the writing and content surrounding my experience creating an Imperial character (Sith Warrior) and what I find to be outright disturbing about the narrative--and I'm not just speaking towards the random killings and ability to be an evil SOB, I expected and enjoyed that. I suggest at least visiting this issue if you have even a remote interest in sexual/gender/lgbt politics and media portrayals.

This is my second major set of thoughts on the game--far from a review, just a small article and reassessment of some of the more troubling aspects of The Old Republic and the community it has betrothed.

Let me start with the fact that the writing in ToR is objectively bad. I knew this from beta and onwards. I did not understand that it would become offensive and leave me with a sense of overwhelming dread. After all, I have an enormous amount of passion for Video Games as a media pillar. Allow me to elaborate.

Recurring motifs involve acting out sexual violence against your female slave Vette--who seems to take it all in jovial stride, killing, enslaving and torturing people and aiding in targeted genocide against specific canonical races. These may be themes expected and accurate according to the extended universe, but the poor presentation is ugly and unwelcome. Dialogue options are limited to rude, malevolent or adolph hitler.

These reprehensible story and design decisions were something I was astonished to see from what we once knew as Bioware. It's disheartening.

The Old Republic's Empire is just... overboard evil--offensively so, and I consider myself extremely leaniant in terms of controversial material. I despise censorship. In fact, the content currently in the game would sit fine with me if it felt justified or properly contextualized. But alas, Bioware's Empire writing inmost cases isn't smart enough to justify it's horrifyingly over the top treatises, which consistently center on dehumanizing your proposed NPC and player PC peers.

...and naturally comes the marketing this material to tweens who lack so much as one strand of pubic hair.

Worse yet, players operate in group dialogue sessions that encourage the aforementioned empty and degrading mentalities--thusly these portions are largely celebrated and incentivized by the community.

I enjoyed that World of Warcraft's presumably 'evil' horde was presented intelligently--yet I realize the canon is entirely different and that they don't operate under a fascist dictatorship. Even given those differences I think it's important to note that it's a step backwards in many ways to have the game reward you for things like rape.

ToR's undeniable older sister, old as she may be, possessed writing bounds more mature than that seen in The Old Republic. The grand irony being, of course, that ToR's major bragging point is it's alleged focus on in-depth decision making and narrative complexity.

I digress, I only created my Sith to let out anger and now, in many ways, I wish I hadn't.

If the writing was smart, if it was well done and conveyed the sense of dread with an element of satire or commentary, or even presented itself as remotely problematic I might be able to stomach playing an Imperial. As of now, I'm just stunned this isn't being talked about more by the media.

The negligence enacted by journalists and our culture to this sort of degenerate content also points as to why video games have such a goddamn long way to go before they garner even a morsel of the integrity possessed by cinema or music (which hardly set the bar high themselves). Yeah, I'll stick to Republic. Also: I found Sith Juggernaut was piss boring and mirrors WoW 1:1 and doesn't actually possess high threat until the mid-30s.

Not so surprisingly ESRB slaps T for Teen on ToR and M for Mature on Heavy Rain. Ugh.

Maybe it's my attitude towards games right now, but something about the Empire makes me wonder why games like this are rated Teen while if another game so much as gives gamers a peep at a breast or contains crude language ESRB slaps on an M rating (Bad Fur Day, etc). I know these talking points are not new, I also don't think that makes them any less worthy of continued discussion. It's time for interactive media to stop being unabashedly chauvinistic and stupid.

This is where the game deviates from kotoR in a very detrimental way--you're actually punished for neutrality, and yet the majority of the community plays the nearly slapstick evil Empire (minus the humor). If not addressed in a timely manner, I can see the following problems significantly reducing subscription figures; a) a cascade of negative press, b) being World of Sabercraft c) terrible, childish, offensive writing.

I couldn't wait to leave Hoth. It's the same outright silly bosses that show up in groups of 3 for every major planet quest. After investing far too many hours I'm about ready to hang up my MMO hat for the forseable future.

I don't mind the grind, touching blue boxes for EXP, or even a relatively rude community--but the fact that the game seems to degrade in story driven elements, class customizations options (and bloat), and begins to feel even MORE closed off an impersonal has me not wanting to play even my main any longer.

I guess it's just really disappointing, I genuinely wanted an MMO with the charm, atmosphere and game mechanics to rival WoW's prime years. This is not that game. Oh well--first world problems and such. And then there's the flip-flop on the gay marriage and companionship which seems to have existed to some degree but evaporated and ignored by developers in the release version--the 'feature' has gone unmentioned by developers for some time. Oh well--there's always shocking (sexually harassing) your sex slave Vette and romancing her with gifts until she marries you.

****. Ebert was and is right. We have a long, long way to go.

tl;dr for uneducated slow-reading slobs:

The problematically 5th grade level writing in ToR touches on topics from sexual violence to torture, slavery and bigotry without even a bit of intelligent context or commentary. It reinforces why games still aren't taken seriously as art.

Also: read my whole post if you decide to start flaming me or calling me two-faced. It takes countless hours to properly assess an MMO of this caliber.

here's one of the increasing amount of mainstream publications taking note (Forbes), others are trickling through and worth a Google search by the time of reading.

Do they really imply rape with the SW?
I have heard A LOT of people say that Sith Warrior is just obnoxious to play in regards to dialogue choice, simply because his/her "style" of dialogue is so overly evil, it's I quote from another player "Like playing an angry teenager who does mean things just for the sake of seeming brooding and 'badass' " From what I have played of the warrior, this is true.

However, I also played inquisitor (female) and found her VA and dialogue to be quite excellent in contrast to the warrior. As opposed to the warrior, the inquisitor is evil but not needlessly so. Inquisitor is clever, witty, and evil for the most part in terms of meeting some sort of needed end. I think it was much more intelligently done from what I have played.

The "Imperial Agent" character class has very little to offer, in my opinion, in comparison to the "Jedi" character class. The "Jedi" character class is way better. In my opinion.

How so? I feel totally the opposite. SW and Jedi are so simple.

The agent has an excellent cover system, cloak, poison darts, flash grenade, AOE grenade, knife, sniper rifle, etc. You can handle situations in a variety of ways with those tools.
I love sneaking in somewhere behind cover, close enough to a group of 4 enemies. I shoot a tranq dart in each one, wait behind cover and watch them die one by one from the poison.

Back