Steam Client Beta Adds Multi-User Login to Big Picture Mode

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
A Steam beta client has launched with several changes to the service, primarily involving offline mode and user logins. Of biggest note is the ability to store multiple user logins on a single machine, a functionality which is currently restricted to Big Picture Mode.

multiuser-jpg.24386
The new user login screen.

This is similar to functionality which exists on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles, meaning the inclusion could be in preparation for Valve's Steam Box hardware, though we haven't heard anything on that end in a while. As always, to sign up for the beta go to your Steam Settings page and look in the "beta participation" section of the account tab. To see the new login screen enter Big Picture Mode then immediately select Exit and then "change user."

You can read the full announcement and change log on the Steam Community here.

Attachments

• multiuser.jpg
    multiuser.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 19,877
I wish this wasn't just limited to big picture. I switch Steam accounts a lot (no i don't idle) and it would be great to have this in the main client. That being said, I am glad that Valve is continuing to support big picture and hope they add this feature to the main client very soon.

Back