Steam Client Beta Update Reveals Latest Steam Controller Design

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
As with the last few designs, the most recent appearance of the Steam Controller has been unearthed from files contained within the latest Steam Client Beta update. The new design, shown below, appears largely similar to the previous iteration and features an analogue stick, four main buttons, and two touch pads.
SteamController.png
The most striking change from previous designs is the appearance of a four-point directional guide on the left touch pad. It's not entirely clear just yet how the four-point guide will be used or what it's main purpose is, but we'd imagine the left pad may now be re-configurable to feature as a softer, more diverse alternative to the standard D-Pad by offering more directional input than just the standard four-points of motion.

While it has yet to be officially revealed by Valve, it's extremely likely this new design will be shown off in public for the first time at GDC 2015, as Valve's Doug Lombardi recently confirmed the company would have a "large Steam Machine presence" at the event in March.

Last edited:
I think they should try it with just one touch pad (the right one) as the one on the left seems to be redundant as there is an analog stick that would be good enough for movement and could aid the right most touch pad for cursor input. I think putting just a d-pad there would make more sense rather than making that touch pad also into a d-pad. the rest of the design i really like though, but as i see these iterations it starts to look more and more like a standard 360 or ps controller (which is not a bad thing).

(which is not a bad thing).

I think It kind of is. The more and more it becomes a xbox controller the more the question is asked "Why not just buy an xbox controller". I really do miss that cool programmable touch screen concept. But this four-point directional guide on the left touch pad seems very interesting. Are they buttons within the touchpad or simply just artistic design? I mean they have to serve a function like buttons, don't they? We all know that up is up and down is down.

I think It kind of is. The more and more it becomes a xbox controller the more the question is asked "Why not just buy an xbox controller". I really do miss that cool programmable touch screen concept. But this four-point directional guide on the left touch pad seems very interesting. Are they buttons within the touchpad or simply just artistic design? I mean they have to serve a function like buttons, don't they? We all know that up is up and down is down.

This is exactly right, we don't want another Xbox controller we already have a flood of those in the market. We want something different and the Steam Controller was exactly that, but it seems l like they are just changing it to something that everyone has already got.

Really hope they don't drop the touch pads on the controller because if they do then that would be extremely dumb.

I'm starting to question how many people will actually use this. The Xbox 360 and PS3 controller is already used by the majority of PC users, so theres no reason for them to exchange their already functional gamepad. Except if theres some clever business practice, that will somehow convince, that this gamepad is the new god.

so theres no reason for them to exchange their already functional gamepad.
But it's not functional compared to what you can do with this controller. Supposedly it is pretty good at mouse emulation, well enough to make RTS games playable as long as they don't require really fast and precise actions. Controlling a mouse with a normal analog stick is no comparison.

But it's not functional compared to what you can do with this controller. Supposedly it is pretty good at mouse emulation, well enough to make RTS games playable as long as they don't require really fast and precise actions. Controlling a mouse with a normal analog stick is no comparison.

I get your point, but if you're playing an RTS, or something like it, chances are you're already using a mouse.

For those who just wants to sit at the couch, I guess it's pretty handy and convenient, as it can play most PC games optimally (supposedly). But the controller is marketed for the Steam Machine buyers and not PC gamers, and thats why i think that it won't replace any sufficient portion of the Xbox or PS3 controllers. I don't think people wan't to spend their money on a gamepad, when they already have one they can play with.

Except if there's some clever business practice.

How about this for a clever business practice: Everyone simply include a controller with every single steam box sold. Everyone; Alienware, OrginPC, Gigabtye, Falcon, so on. If I need a controller and this came free with it, I would definitely learn to get used to it rather than spend another $50 dollars on a controller.

How about this for a clever business practice: Everyone simply include a controller with every single steam box sold. Everyone; Alienware, OrginPC, Gigabtye, Falcon, so on. If I need a controller and this came free with it, I would definitely learn to get used to it rather than spend another $50 dollars on a controller.

For people who already have a controller, the Steam Controller would be rather useless. I'm simply worried that the controller might flop, as people are already using and familiarized with other gamepads. It's not exactly a stroll in the park, to intrude into an already saturated market and gain profit.

Yeah, people are going to buy the Steam Machine, and their going to get the Steam Controller, but I think that it's not going to be as universally used as the other gamepads. Either the Steam Controller has to be incredibly popular or extroadinarily cheap to overcome the other gamepads.

Just a thought. If Steam Controller fails to become the best gamepad, it's not really a big thing. The controller market is not small, but it's not going to drive profits down, because the Steam Machines are the main attraction.

I was under the impression that the Steam controller would have have easy to set bindings for all steam games, plus a crowd-sourced library of bindings made by the community. Seems like a clever business practice to me.

This controller is at the top of my list of a must-have piece of hardware next year.

I think people underestimate the contingency of gamers that have been waiting for some technological advancement in game controllers. I'm amazed no one before now has made commercially available a controller that has track/mouse/touch control.

Why a stick ? o_O' Useless so anti-ergonomic... A real desavowal.
Moreover, will developpers be as ready to use your new technologie if you let them the possibility to choose the stick ?

Very disappointed, I hope it'll change again.

I think they should try it with just one touch pad (the right one) as the one on the left seems to be redundant as there is an analog stick that would be good enough for movement and could aid the right most touch pad for cursor input. I think putting just a d-pad there would make more sense rather than making that touch pad also into a d-pad. the rest of the design i really like though, but as i see these iterations it starts to look more and more like a standard 360 or ps controller (which is not a bad thing).

That left "d-pad" touchpad could be useful in games like DOTA 2 where it might help replace keyboard hotkeys. I could be wrong, but since it's such a popular game I would guess Valve will want a way to play DOTA 2 from the controller.

On the other hand, I don't see pro players switching to a Steam Controller anytime soon. Not when millions of dollars are on the line in tournaments.

Back