Steam Guard Now in Beta

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
steamguard.jpg

[br]The recently announced Steam security feature, Steam Guard, is now in beta. As a Steam account holder, you can now take advantage of this additional level of account security, further prohibiting others from gaining access to your account.

With Steam Guard enabled, anyone attempting to login as you from an unrecognized computer must first provide additional, one-time authorization. A special access code will be sent to your contact email address, and this code must be entered into Steam before your first login on an unfamiliar computer is complete. You will also be notified if any login attempts from computers other than those you've authorized occur. Steam Guard essentially acts as a form of "User Rights Management," where you as the user have greater control over access to your stuff.

So why don't you opt into the latest Steam client beta and give us your username and password so we can test the system for you?

I got this e-mail from Valve:

20110307142329.jpg

In the place of red rectangle there is 8-capital-letters-code.
So far, I have two e-mails like that, with different codes.

It works, and I think it's a good idead from Valve :)

Good to know it works. I won't be signing up for it though. I sign in in an internet cafe from time to time and having to authorize it every time would be awkward (particularly because the gaming PCs there don't have any browser installed on them except the Steam overlay one).

so this works for any pc not just those "sandy vagina" new processors type?

20110307142329.jpg

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Good to see that is works and how it works. Do you have a Sandy Bridge CPU btw?

20110307142329.jpg

OK. Now, all we need is to hack your email account :)

so this works for any pc not just those "sandy vagina" new processors type?

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Good to see that is works and how it works. Do you have a Sandy Bridge CPU btw?

Steam Guard doesn't require an Intel hardware, it uses hardware signatures to identify the PC logging in if its authorized to access the account. Sandy Bridge uses Intel's IPT technology which is one of many ways it check the hardware signatures.

So all you really need to benefit from Steam Guard is a verified email address.

The question is: will it go tits up when you add new hardware?

So how do you enable steam guard? I enabled steam beta, but I don't see any difference.

Just checked. Steam Guard also works for logging in on the Steam Store website too.

So how do you enable steam guard? I enabled steam beta, but I don't see any difference.

Its probably automatically enabled.

I want to try this, but im afraid because of what I posted in the other thread, about not having my old email address that I originally registered Steam with. Anybody know if you need that specific email, or do they send it to your contact email (which is verified)?

Nope. Steam will send the verification code to whichever email address you have verified.

I never got the "computer authorization required" window. Is it supposed to appear when you restart steam?

I never got the "computer authorization required" window. Is it supposed to appear when you restart steam?
Be sure you restarted Steam three times under the current beta. Then go into your settings menu and follow the security steps.

Anyone else wondering how man emails Gabe must have received after he posted his password?

Its probably automatically enabled.

I want to try this, but im afraid because of what I posted in the other thread, about not having my old email address that I originally registered Steam with. Anybody know if you need that specific email, or do they send it to your contact email (which is verified)?
People get confused because initially Steam asked you to use an email as your username and after the system changed over to a username instead those emails became usernames. So it doesn't matter what that username is (even if it's an old hotmail or something) as long as you have a verified contact email registered in Steam > Settings you are good to go.

People get confused because initially Steam asked you to use an email as your username and after the system changed over to a username instead those emails became usernames. So it doesn't matter what that username is (even if it's an old hotmail or something) as long as you have a verified contact email registered in Steam > Settings you are good to go.

Well someone in the other thread said it uses the email you registered steam with, so thats why I was unsure. Turns out they were incorrect though, because it specifically says it uses your "contact email."

So yeah, I'm good to go.

Does offline mode **** anything up? How does it work?

Does offline mode **** anything up? How does it work?
I imagine the same as always. You have to log in at least once before you can use offline mode so Steam Guard would still protect it.

But you're never asked to input any login information for offline mode.

But you're never asked to input any login information for offline mode.
That's because you have to have login information saved from having previously logged in.

Just checked. Steam Guard also works for logging in on the Steam Store website too.

But not on the Steam Community site, apparently.

When I tried to log in to the Steam Community site under Gabe's credentials, it gave me a message that I wasn't running Intel's IPT, so I couldn't log in. However, I was able to successfully log in as megabajt. I decided not to see if I could do anything on that account though, and logged out.

OK well I guess that is something which is yet to be added or something it won't cover? I removed the password from before, thanks for the heads up Krynn. I would recommend that megabajt change his password so your Steam community isn't fiddled with. I guess someone could edit your friends / groups which could be annoying.

So do we need Intel hardware for this to work or say if I were to buy a brand new AMD gaming rig, will it work still? I wasn't sure if this was clarified yet.

So do we need Intel hardware for this to work or say if I were to buy a brand new AMD gaming rig, will it work still? I wasn't sure if this was clarified yet.

Steam Guard doesn't require an Intel hardware, it uses hardware signatures to identify the PC logging in if its authorized to access the account. Sandy Bridge uses Intel's IPT technology which is one of many ways it check the hardware signatures.

So all you really need to benefit from Steam Guard is a verified email address.

chars

Back