Steam with Full Cache released

Finally... my download was going at 8 bytes per second with a DSL connection. This should help a lot. Thanks! :)

Apparently you don't understand that having the entire HL community download entire games off of a select few servers puts quite a bit of strain on the servers... which is what is causing all of these problems.

I love steam, honestly I think its the next big gaming app.
I realize there are a lot of things being worked out, and that the heavy load on servers is dissalowing a lot of us to play games.
not that I care, I dont play hl or cs. I do however play TS.
but I cant seem to start anything now.
it worked before.
now when I try and launch anything... even single player hl it sits at the "now launching" phase for hours.. I was thinking perhaps there was a new patch, but it worked earlier... so I dont know.
keep up the great work valve :)
all these naysayers and morons with no patience need to sit back and relax, once this is well implemented its gonna be big. I love the concept, love the execution, now just need some more servers to handle the heavy use of steam, and we should be fine ;)

DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!

I figured that the download would be rather quick and didn't use something that would allow me to resume the download... and just as it got within the last 10% IE got an error.

Now to wait in another 30 minute line and redownload the file...

where do u get something that will let you resume downloads? my internet is very unstable and disconnects all the time and it sucks when it happens in the middle of a download...

-merc

Just search Google for a "download manager" there are lots of them...

Originally posted by OCybrManO
Apparently you don't understand that having the entire HL community download entire games off of a select few servers puts quite a bit of strain on the servers... which is what is causing all of these problems.

the point is WON was fine, why did they need to change it?

i have a question about this update..

do i need to un-install the current Steam i have to run this update? or do i just run the update and it all works out?

please help..

Steam will work, and it'll work well. It just needs some time to mature.

Dr. Freeman - I tried to install over the beta and it asked me if i wanted to remove it, so I guess you can uninstall it now or later. Either way works

Mic

the point is, WON was very lacking in a lot of areas

it didnt have built in cheat protection
it didnt have anti-hack measures
it didnt automatically keep all your software up to date
it was very easy to sneak warezed cd keys and copies of hl into.

steam however is not.

WON authentication was (not sure if it is still out of valve's hands) designed and controlled by another company.
Valve is big now.
Valve wants to be able to have more control over their products.

Steam is an automatic content delivery system... which is a great idea.

It makes sense to authenticate the player when he signs on to Steam to check to see if his game is up-to-date... that way the game won't have to wait for authentication when trying to connect to a server.
Instead, the game would be authenticating/patching while you are looking for a server or talking with friends.

When the problems (bandwidth problems due to massive downloading of entire games, freezing at random places, and the never-ending "preparing to play <insert game here>") get ironed out Steam will be a great program.

Originally posted by Miculus
Dr. Freeman - I tried to install over the beta and it asked me if i wanted to remove it, so I guess you can uninstall it now or later. Either way works

Mic

thank u, kind sir :)

dammet i hate fileplanet and its line shit

anybody have direct download?

they didnt need to change it...all they should have done was tweaked it a little and gave it an upgrade.

Valve you are ****ing everything up with steam!!!!

That's like saying "HL's engine worked just fine. Why the hell did they make a completely new engine?!!?!?"
... because it will be much better when they get it working.

ok im doing alright i line my possition is 935/1210

lol

THis is good. Valve heard that people were annoyed about the speed, and the fact that it is hard for dialuppers to get everything going first off. So they release this. THey arent trying to "fux0r" everything, they are trying to do what will be best for the gaming community in the long run. There are always going to be initial problems with this kind of thing. But once its all ironed out its going to be great. Have some patience people.

The only thing I'll (maybe) download is TFC... but... I don't need it... it's not like my favorite server is gonna be there... so I'm content with waitin'.

It is pretty cool that they'd release it like that, though...

Well once it is fully installed it works very well, I like the concept and think it is the way forward for Valve and online gaming. I knew it was going to be bad to start with, but the updates from 1.3 to 1.4 were hell also (took me 2 nights to get updates). Steam was more hassle with it locking up etc, but I got it all in one day.

Once everyone is on Steam, instead of big fat downloads coming out not-very so often, Valve can make small frequent updates with very little hassle. In the long run it is better for us all.

most likely because it's a pile of crap, i am getting about 1kb/s here on broadband, i got that speed even in the beta so don't say it's the sudden influx that is the problem, i hate the download-while-you-play, i hate the download at a rate 20 times slower than http, i hate the way it crashes constantly, and has been crashing/locking up for hours ever since the beta. I hate the game finder, it has no features, i hate the chat because it's unnecessary, i hate the monitor, because it is so vague, i hate the way there are about 3 different settings you can change, all of which make no difference anyway, i hate the way that the games are downloaded, and i hate the idea of a cache file.

mainly i hate it because the system was fine, and now it isn't.

There were no where near as many people in the beta as there are trying to download the games right now.
Last time I checked there were already more Steam servers in the "final" build of Steam than I have seen in the beta of Steam... and those are only people that have already gotten in.
The rest of the people are stuck getting 56k speeds.

Valve vastly under-estimated the number of people that would be downloading Steam (non-beta)... this was evident when it seemed like steampowered.com was under a DoS attack, but it was just players refreshing the web site.

That quote of yours in your sig is ridiculous, they made a new engine because the old one was out dated, and players would not have settled for the old one.
WON on the other hand is still working just fine, people would not have complained. HL2's graphical engine is working fine also, which is why your quote is ineffective as an analogy.

Originally posted by Wesisapie
That quote of yours in your sig is ridiculous, they made a new engine because the old one was out dated, and players would not have settled for the old one.
WON on the other hand is still working just fine, people would not have complained. HL2's graphical engine is working fine also, which is why your quote is ineffective as an analogy.

I would think that that's the point of it... ?

Anyway, it sounds you may have some valid concerns with Steam (even if you are going a little nuts :cheese: ) Getting 1kb/s on Steam beta.... wow, Steam was always lightning fast for me! Everything else you mentioned is your problem. It just came out and as was said... tons more people! I can't believe there are ALREADY more servers!

Originally posted by Wesisapie
They made Steam because they wanted to make everything better, not just the graphics of the game. They made an entirely new program that integrates automatic content delivery, an IM system that allows in-game chat, a server browser that works outside of the game, etc... all bundled into one multi-purpose application to make using Valve products easier and more functional.

The problem with new ideas in this field is that they must be stress-tested... which is basically what is going on now. They will see that the amount of available bandwidth must be increased greatly when they release a new product and will handle it appropriately in the future by preparing lots of servers beforehand.

It's people with your viewpoint that hold back innovation...

Ya know, I could be wrong, but working and tweaking up another version of steam could be a good reason for a delay in the release of HL 2 itself.....:cool:

Back