Steam with Full Cache released

Originally posted by Goombatommy
Ya know, I could be wrong, but working and tweaking up another version of steam could be a good reason for a delay in the release of HL 2 itself.....:cool:

Now THAT might get me a little ticked off...

Considering that Gabe is still (to my knowledge) saying that he has never said anything other than September 30th... I don't believe that there will be a delay.

... and the people that make/fix Steam are probably not the ones being used to work on HL2 right now.

Originally posted by OCybrManO
Considering that Gabe is still (to my knowledge) saying that he has never said anything other than September 30th... I don't believe that there will be a delay.

... and the people that make/fix Steam are probably not the ones being used to work on HL2 right now.

Exactly. One department works on graphics, another on AI, another on GUI etc. It's not like they have only 5 people and all work on same thing. They have specialties they excel in.

Originally posted by Mr. Redundant
I love steam, honestly I think its the next big gaming app.
I realize there are a lot of things being worked out, and that the heavy load on servers is dissalowing a lot of us to play games.
not that I care, I dont play hl or cs. I do however play TS.
but I cant seem to start anything now.
it worked before.
now when I try and launch anything... even single player hl it sits at the "now launching" phase for hours.. I was thinking perhaps there was a new patch, but it worked earlier... so I dont know.
keep up the great work valve :)
all these naysayers and morons with no patience need to sit back and relax, once this is well implemented its gonna be big. I love the concept, love the execution, now just need some more servers to handle the heavy use of steam, and we should be fine ;)

How can you say it is great and 'keep up the great work valve' when this amazing new program wont let you play singleplayer hl because "it sits at the now launching phase for hours".

Bloody fanboys, Valve has ****ed up bigtime with steam, when will you realise that.

I know why some of you have low dl speeds, it's because some people are hogging all the bandwidth, here take a look lol

That dudes on the Austrlian mirror TO!!!!

no wonder my steam doesnt work

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
I know why some of you have low dl speeds, it's because some people are hogging all the bandwidth, here take a look lol

Yeah but that's in kilobits per second, not bytes like you're used to seeing.

Divide it by 8, and that's what you're really downloading at ;-)

Originally posted by Morgon
Yeah but that's in kilobits per second, not bytes like you're used to seeing.

Divide it by 8, and that's what you're really downloading at ;-)

Morgon you're wrong buddy boy, here is why:

- download speed is capped at 50kb/s and it can't mean 6 kilobytes/sec or else I never would have finished downloading CS in under 3 hours
- when numbers go high up like that it means steam is UNPACKING the files at that rate, at least that's the most likely possibility I can think of
- kilobits are expressed as kpbs

Edit: I found this http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3758

I'm probably wrong too somewhere along this post : )

I think you're right after all, it seems that although it's downloading at 40k it's barely using 0.20% of my connection...

Just installed the new Steam with CS/HL and it works perfectly, just like in beta.

Excellent.. nice one Valve.

Two thumbs up from me.

:cheers:

Back